Advice about buying 1st detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day Mates!

I'd like to try my luck at finding small gold nuggets in my area which is Spencer Gulf in South Australia.
The areas that I'm looking at metal detecting in, is mainly salt bush/salt flat areas. And also some small creeks.
So, I'm just wondering what detector is best for me to buy and what are the odds that I will find some nuggets in my specific area?
My budget is $1000-$1500

Cheers :cool:

EDIT: also I read some posts about 'fake' detectors being sold on eBay, where should I buy mine from to avoid fakes?

I surveyed about half of my surrounding areas (about an hours drive in a 180 degree radius from where I live) and it was all flat land with intermittent salt bush with a salt basin/salt crust land.
There was no 'creeks' or anything (i was mistaken on that) but there were mangroves with lots of water, which would make it possible for a sluice. That's if there's any gold to be found in the types of terrain that I described.

I'll scout the other surrounding areas soon. There's an area nearby with lots of quartz and I heard that's a good sign of gold nearby. :cool:

Jaros said:
Welcome to P.A. Why not try Anaconda.
Hey thx Jaros, yes but which type should I buy at Anaconda? I suppose you would suggest the Minelab Gold Monster 1000?
My purpose would be to find ~1g nuggets, I'm only interested in gold.

GoldProspectn said:
Jaros said:
Welcome to P.A. Why not try Anaconda.
Hey thx Jaros, yes but which type should I buy at Anaconda? I suppose you would suggest the Minelab Gold Monster 1000?
I would but every one has their own opinion on what is best
Best thing is research
So that means lots of reading
But the biggest factor is how many $$$$$$$ you have to spend

OK guys I think I've found a good place. I've got a very long dry creekbed nearby. It's at the foot of a large mountainous area.
The creekbed is filled with stones. I'll have to go out there and have a closer look at the landscape and I will probably take some pictures.
@ Jaros I'm not sure about walking around in mangrove water to find nuggets. This other rocky old creekbed looks much more promising, is there a detector suited for that terranin? I will have more detailed information about the terrain later today or tomorrow.

G'day GP welcome to PA like Nightjar said do your research on known minerals in your intended prospecting area. Before you buy a detector grab a pan and sample the dirt :Y: on your reconnaissance travels even take a few buckets from different areas and pan at home, this coupled with research will be your best starting point. As for detectors again research and personal choice will be the decider. Have a look at the QED it's in your price range and allows for options with extra coils. Best of luck with the the research and purchase.

Nightjar said:
GoldProspectn, You are wasting your time wandering around blindly. Research is essential or you will be rapidly disallusioned. Maybe some info here:
I had a look at that article and I don't live near any of those red places where gold has been found.

Like RM says, if you're talking PI check out the QED before you make any final decision. I've never used one, but plenty of people are happy with them, and they seem exceptional value for their price.

GoldProspectn said:
Nightjar said:
GoldProspectn, You are wasting your time wandering around blindly. Research is essential or you will be rapidly disallusioned. Maybe some info here:
I had a look at that article and I don't live near any of those red places where gold has been found.
No gold left in SA, access is a problem too.

pinfire opals said:
No gold left in SA, access is a problem too.
There's some gold, I've seen vids of people finding nuggets. But, it seems to get there I'll need a 2-3 hour drive from where I'm located.
I might try this gold panning idea before I buy a detector to see if I can find gold in this location I'm scouting. I think that's the wiser choice.

Like rm suggested, grab a pan and do some testing.

If you find some specks of gold work backwards looking for the source and you might find some bigger pieces that are detectable.

Good luck :Y:

GoldProspectn said:
There's some gold, I've seen vids of people finding nuggets. But, it seems to get there I'll need a 2-3 hour drive from where I'm located.
I might try this gold panning idea before I buy a detector to see if I can find gold in this location I'm scouting. I think that's the wiser choice.

You haven't begun and you seem to be knocking a 2-3 hour drive?
Have been detecting since the early 80's and it hasn't been uncommon to to go weeks/months without finding gold, not to mention 1000's of km's along the way.
There are Eastern Staters who come to WA every year and some don't even cover expenses.
Not trying to put you off this wonderful hobby GP but remember, "It don't come easy."

Good luck.

Nightjar said:
Have been detecting since the early 80's and it hasn't been uncommon to to go weeks/months without finding gold,

Thank you

A very good tip and timely reminder for us newbies that may get carried away with our expectations and imaginations.

:)

I done some testing in the old dry creek bed I was talking about and I found some alluvial gold by panning.

I've changed my mind about spending 1.5k on a detector.
I'm hoping to go for something much cheaper.
I saw the Gold Bug Pro on eBay for $565.00, but I'm not sure if it's authentic or not.
Some guy on Youtube recently bought a Gold Bug Pro on Wish for $350...
I'm just wondering if these are genuine units or not and how can you tell?

I'm thinking maybe even something that Kogan offers might be suitable, $88.95 and the metal detector claims to have 16cm below the surface sensitivity.
I'd like to start with something cheap and if I have success I will move up.
The main surfaces is a dry old creekbed with lots of stones in it, large boulders and stuff.

Here's a pic of the creek bed: hxxps://imgur.com/a/PL3i77p

Are you sure it's gold, can you post a photo. As for detector choice I wouldn't buy anything other than a PI (Pulse Induction) machine and that will see you spending 1.5k. I don't know your area but at a guess I'd say there will be heavy mineralisation in most or parts of the area that will see your money wasted by buying anything less than a PI unit. The benefits of buying a PI detector are the resale value and ability to make a sale. If you find it's not what you thought you will loose less of your investment with PI technology when it comes to selling.

GoldProspectn, you need to be aware that the cheaper VLF (sub $1k) detectors are generally coin/jewellery/relic detectors & wont be very effective in mineralised gold ground (even very difficult). If you go that way then get one that is more aimed at gold, ie, Gold Bug/GB2, Gold Monster etc.
For a Pulse Induction machine under $2000 you can sometimes pick up older 2nd hand Minelab SD or GP series (even GPX4000), or new a QED or Whites TDI

DED

"Are you sure it's gold?" Yes, I'm sure, it's hard not to recognise shiny yellow metal :)
I actually got it on my first pan ever, although I did research by reading a few articles and watching a few videos first.
I dug the spots in the creek where a small drop off/small waterfall was and that's where I found the alluvial gold.

"The benefits of buying a PI detector are the resale value and ability to make a sale."
I don't get it, that's the same benefit twice.

Okay, maybe I will start with a PI unit. What's the most suitable one in my price range (I still might spend 1.5k if that's what it will take.)
I'm really looking for something that will be suitable for the terrain in the picture in the link.

"For a Pulse Induction machine under $2000 you can sometimes pick up older 2nd hand Minelab SD or GP series (even GPX4000), or new a QED or Whites TDI"
Yeah, I can see a Whites TDI on eBay for $1770 atm or the QED from their site for $1850 or $1950.
There are some used options: a GPX4000 for $2500 & a Minelab SD2100 for $1490.

Latest posts