Bathurst region prospecting clubs, tours, guides?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone :)

recently moved to Bathurst and keen to learn about prospecting, where to go, what to buy, how to do etc...

I have been reading lots of the posts on the forum and am keen to get started, especially coming into the xmas break

If anyone knows anywhere or anyone that can help - it would be greatly appreciated!

Luke

Gday Luke
Welcome to the forum.
Get to 10 posts and you can access the members meet up area .
Keep reading posts and learning .
The places near Bathurst are Ophir, Lucknow, Sofala, Turon river and Hill End.

nucopia said:
Gday Luke
Welcome to the forum.
Get to 10 posts and you can access the members meet up area .
Keep reading posts and learning .
The places near Bathurst are Ophir, Lucknow, Sofala, Turon river and Hill End.

great.

I just bought the basics today and a map for Hill End, but keen to look at Lucknow, Ophir and Sofala!
almost bought a river sluice...but imagine the rivers are pretty bare at the moment

Another place you can try is the Turondale River.
If you follow Turondale road for about 45 kms out of Bathurst you will cross a single lane wooden bridge on the Turondale river .
Take the dirt road to the left right after crossing the bridge and follow track for about 70 metres.
You can camp there and pan any where along the river . :perfect:

https://goo.gl/maps/ChRU2Zmw2amXp9W88

Ok great thanks! I'll go there this weekend to.cjeck it out.
I take it you venture far from the campground in your searches?

Yeah you can.
If you have a 4x4 you can access the river and drive along the river bed for quiet a few kilometres.

This is the access point from the road above the bridge.
https://goo.gl/maps/q3ezGPHykXPcA81m6

https://goo.gl/maps/LghZJYKb5B5PzaPJ7

Just follow the well worn 4 x 4 tracks

https://goo.gl/maps/JvJKp6kn1FJpzEba7

Should find lots of good places to pan along the bed of the river ,if there is water around.
Rock bars and inside bends where the river in flood drops the heavies out and deposit materials.
:Y:

In the past we have driven around 5kms along the river bed
1574953680_turon_river.jpg

thats great!! thanks very much

i just bought a new 4wd and not overly sure of my abilities. but will go and check it out tomorrow morning.

perhaps i will go and get the river sluice after all :)

excited to have a go and get into it

Probably wont be any running water in the Turon river right now , so you probably would not be able to use the river sluice.
Best option is to look for material you can screen and then pan out in any pools of water near by.

If you were going to Ophire a small sluice would come in handy but again you can probably go with out and just screen and pan at Ophir right now and still have a good chance of finding colour .

yeah i think Ophir will be my starting point then.

Should i be be venturing far up or down the river?

ill be taking the family, so i want to make the first few trips nice and easy for them :)

btw - thanks for all the help and suggestions!

nemesis888 said:
yeah i think Ophir will be my starting point then.

Should i be be venturing far up or down the river?

ill be taking the family, so i want to make the first few trips nice and easy for them :)

btw - thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Ophir would be perfect if you are taking the family .
You can camp at the creek crossing gas BBQ benches & toilets.
When you are standing in the camp ground facing the creek you can walk across the weir and take a right turn and any where along the creek in that directions is good to pan. Or you can stay on the camp side and take a left turn and there is a creek with water that feeds in to the pond . If you follow that creek up a ways and there is plenty of water and places to pan there as well
Word of warrning ..on the right side of the weir is a place to swim but its not for small children and almost any where along the creek in shallow waters there are leaches , so always check your children if they venture into the water .
Even when panning, the will latch on to your hand if you let your hand stay still to long in the water ..
Take gumboots to wear in the shallow water and maybe some garden gloves ..

1574996372_5d43f772-8f91-46ea-92a3-47a2342bae76.jpg

1574996571_bef7007e-e3b6-4935-b8a8-2b881f53e234.jpg

1574996507_b9e35f79-9815-4b2b-ad6f-7633eef61e44.jpg

1574996605_e4cc47ff-2384-4730-a498-12db19a0f3b9.jpg

Welcome to Bathurst, I am from bathurst myself, I have only been up to coles bridge myself, I do highly recommend if you get the chance to go out prospecting with Aussie Chris to do it! Top bloke to get out prospecting with.

Aussie Chris ...... any chance I can get in contact with you. Looking to see if you can give us a bit of training this Sunday on the Turon near Ophir please ?

Latest posts