What is the minimum price for a 4x4?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So that's where ALL the Pajero's end up... In Bogger's backyard... :eek: ]:D ....... One of the Best/Cheapest 4x4's you can get.... Go the Pajero's... :Y:

LW....

madtuna said:
I would, we have 3 or 4 here. All suffer rust but mechanically including drive train are excellent.
You have to give them a serious look at before buying though. Chassis rust is a no go though but panels and trays can be replaced.

Be ok for you blokes up there tuna,agree they are well maintained but flogged at the same time,like excavator says,our ones are treated like rally cars allmost sometimes,end of shift is like the world titles with 4-5 of us baboons squeezed in em,on the rev limiter and abused no end,underground vehicles cop it with the water but at the stupid pit (open section) the water sprayed by the carts is about 14 times saltier then sea water,shite eats ya clothes,boots dont last long if ya operating a watercart :(

Luke said:
I've got Holden Jackaroo 1990 for 1.450$ from a German backpacker. So far 7000km done with just replacement of clutch slave cylinder (60$ from REPCO) and 2 second hand tyres for 50$ each.
Old school car= no electonics , less can go wrong

Luke just for next time there is a seller on eBay you could have purchased a new slave for under $30 posted ;) Username is Kongsgp and have had him send me parts several times to FNQ when have been doing jobs for the station owners up there. Great to deal with and great product knowledge which helps ensure you end up with right part at the door :Y: Which when I ordered parts for an 84 HJ47 would have been the case if he hadn't informed me that it could be one of three possible combinations. They handle all brake parts and hydraulics with nearly 10000 items listed :)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clutch-...799308?hash=item3afd7afe4c:g:4tgAAOSw4QdaYEKM

On that note if anyone finds themselves stuck shoot us a pm and if can help out locating an item and sending shoot me a pm. Have found lot of places don't do it and others that bend you over if they will :eek: Never good when a vehicle fails but many times it's the time it takes to get an item and back on the road that can be the pain in the proverbial. :(

To get a reliable 4wd for 3k that leaves only one choice in my opinion.

Early 4 door 1.6 or 2.0 4 cylinder efi vitara which you will get a good condition one for your 3k or a fair cond grand vitara.

Parts are available everywhere and the 4 cylinder efi are very cheap to run and stock will out drive pretty much all modern 4wd.

Forget about people talking about parts availability etc as bits for 30 year old 4wds are not available in the bush anyway also the remote
traveling car of choice for locals in the NT is still a commodore or falcon. The only people in shiny 4wds are gov or mine workers.

If you want more info on Suzuki 4wds check out auszookers.com
(I can be a bit biased towards Suzuki and am a part owner of auszookers but now use a jeep for remote traveling)

Shep said:

Early 4 door 1.6 or 2.0 4 cylinder efi vitara which you will get a good condition one for your 3k or a fair cond grand vitara.

Parts are available everywhere and the 4 cylinder efi are very cheap to run and stock will out drive pretty much all modern 4wd.

Forget about people talking about parts availability etc as bits for 30 year old 4wds are not available in the bush anyway also the remote
traveling car of choice for locals in the NT is still a commodore or falcon. The only people in shiny 4wds are gov or mine workers.

(I can be a bit biased towards Suzuki and am a part owner of auszookers but now use a jeep for remote traveling)

Yes the suzuki's are good in the bush but unless he is a midgit he might find it too small to sleep in as stated in post #8.

Cheers

Doug

Shep said:

Glad you added that bit :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D explains the free plug ;)
True Suzuki good little jiggers only problem I'd have is it wouldn't pull my camper. Again as with sleeping, comes down to buyers requirements of what aspects he needs his vehicle to be able to cover.

Have to disagree on the parts availability as with a breakdown the part to get you mobile again is the difference between a drama and none. With express post etc getting it is seldom a problem but locating the part to buy many times becomes the issue :eek:

Bottom line is make sure you know what your buying as all and any model with have it's good and bad points :(

Shep said:

yeah..nah
While the little suzukis are a great little light 4x4 unfortunately if he wants to go bush out this way they break a bit too easy unless highly modified to a state of unroad worthy. Plus I'm pretty sure he wants to sleep in it.

As for parts availability for 30 year old 4x4, pretty much any station in the gold fields of WA will have a grave yard of Toyotas and Landys dating back before Moses.

Commodore and Falcon parts are numerous too, as most roads have a dead one every few miles from a roll over or run in with some form of wild life.

despite my love for suzuki sierras ( i have two at the moment) i don't think the humble little vitara is going to cut it in this case, i got my hilux surf for $2000, put some lights and tyres on it and it is great, turbo diesel, bullbar etc already on it and big enough for all the gear i need for prospecting, i think a cruiser, hilux or patrol would be your best option for our conditions but funds are limiting what you will get, please feel feel to ask any question you need to tho, we are all here to help
cheers
Jamie

Latest posts