GP3000 battery options/ upgrades

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have an old gp3000 that ill be using soon.
I have 2 questions 1 been how long should the 6v 6ah battery last while detecting and the 2nd regarding the batteries them selves.
Is i possible to use a 18v Milwaukee battery with some sort of voltage reducer?

These would be a lot lighter and i also have an abundance of them for my job i have 2 x 12 ah and 4 x 6 ah.
also thinking if this is possible it makes the battery span time a lot longer as i can keep the spares in the car and swap out as needed.

Thanks in advanced :)

Mr Yarg

Hi all,
I have an old gp3000 that ill be using soon.
I have 2 questions 1 been how long should the 6v 6ah battery last while detecting and the 2nd regarding the batteries them selves.
Is i possible to use a 18v Milwaukee battery with some sort of voltage reducer?

These would be a lot lighter and i also have an abundance of them for my job i have 2 x 12 ah and 4 x 6 ah.
also thinking if this is possible it makes the battery span time a lot longer as i can keep the spares in the car and swap out as needed.

Thanks in advanced :)

Mr Yarg
Hi Mr Yarg,

The original Gel cells should last out the day depending how old they are as for your 18V Milwaukee battery's this would work with a voltage regulator but do not try to run the GP3000 direct from the 18V battery or bad smoke will appear I do have a circuit for a suitable voltage regulator that I use.

Regards, Ian.

I went with one of these.
Set the yellow dial to 7.5 volts.
You'll need a 4 pin plug on the end of the cable to fit into the dome top to charge.

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 6.23.54 pm.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
this might be the way to go! any idea how to wire this up and also what would you do for a speaker?
You can also get these batteries at 12 ah and this is what I use for my GPX5000 the battery holder below is what I made to solve connections it will run my F1A4 or GPX depending on input cables I have one for each detector the only problem I see is I am not sure the GP 3500 will work with the 8.4 volt maximum charge I only ever used my 3500 at 7.2 volt gef12 can you comment on this.

Regards, Ian.

Attachments

• DSC00009 (1).JPG
    DSC00009 (1).JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
Complete ready made kit here:
https://detectormods.com/shop/63/lightweight-battery-kitHas an audio lead that would require a seperate amp/booster to get the best out of using a speaker.

If you want to make your own battery set up the power plug wiring is:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...-power-plug-pinout-diagram.27633/#post-436421Obviously you need to make up a 4 pin socket with the 2x battery +/- wires to the battery & 2x audio wires to a headphone socket piggyback. As above to use a speaker best with amp/booster.

You can also get these batteries at 12 ah and this is what I use for my GPX5000 the battery holder below is what I made to solve connections it will run my F1A4 or GPX depending on input cables I have one for each detector the only problem I see is I am not sure the GP 3500 will work with the 8.4 volt maximum charge I only ever used my 3500 at 7.2 volt gef12 can you comment on this.

Regards, Ian.
I use these for gp3500 / 3000 .. just put 2 x diodes in series .. works a treat ..

I use these for gp3500 / 3000 .. just put 2 x diodes in series .. works a treat ..
Thank you gef12.

Mr Yarg, If you are going to use the camcorder type batteries I have an early version of the battery carrier I use that the battery is held in place with Velcro rather than the lock I now use it is surplus to my requirements so you are welcome to it if you want it no cost just you pay the postage all you will need is a short lead to connect to the detector I will add the diodes in it to run on the GP3500.

Regards, Ian.

Thank you gef12.

Mr Yarg, If you are going to use the camcorder type batteries I have an early version of the battery carrier I use that the battery is held in place with Velcro rather than the lock I now use it is surplus to my requirements so you are welcome to it if you want it no cost just you pay the postage all you will need is a short lead to connect to the detector I will add the diodes in it to run on the GP3500.

Regards, Ian.
oh wow that would be amazing thank you, i actually managed to damage the cable on the battery side of my detector today and need a replacement so i may as we just get a shorter one now :)
ill send you a msg.

thanks everyone for all the helpful info :)

oh wow that would be amazing thank you, i actually managed to damage the cable on the battery side of my detector today and need a replacement so i may as we just get a shorter one now :)
ill send you a msg.

Hi Mr Yarg no problem just get your existing cable shortened you have the plugs and you will only need about 300mm max of cable if you make a pocket on the detector cover to carry the battery I have responded to your message.

Regards, Ian.

ill send you a msg.

Well it would be nice to have got a response to know that you got what I sent you ok at least to my knowledge you received the package last Thursday I have added an image of what I sent.

Regards, Ian.

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    661.2 KB · Views: 0
Hey Ian,
My apologies, i thought i had sent you an email that night but it sat in my drafts folder and didn't send.
I received it on that Thursday you said i would, extremally well packaged :)
Works a treat, i just need to look at modifying the feet on my gp3000 they look to be slightly longer then the space for them to sit into.

I've just checked with my partner and then return envelope is sitting in the car still i will make sure this gets sent back to you tomorrow..

Again thank you so much, ill be able to carry 2 batteries easily now :)

Many Thanks,

Mr Yarg

Hey Ian,
My apologies, i thought i had sent you an email that night but it sat in my drafts folder and didn't send.
I received it on that Thursday you said i would, extremally well packaged :)
Works a treat, i just need to look at modifying the feet on my gp3000 they look to be slightly longer then the space for them to sit into.

I've just checked with my partner and then return envelope is sitting in the car still i will make sure this gets sent back to you tomorrow..

Again thank you so much, ill be able to carry 2 batteries easily now :)

Many Thanks,

Mr Yarg
The feet may be tight but it should fit may need to relieve the cut outs slightly with a file but don't modify the detector worst case if you need a spacer for between the top and base section I can make you one let me know how thick it needs to be to allow the legs to fit and bolt up.
Regards, Ian.

Latest posts