From zero to hero with DetectingSA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well atleast I got an answer, I said I would use the "screwdriver" method and detailed what that was and they still said no

1518643279_img_3655.jpg

DSA
Yep you got a reply at least.
i have emailed my local council 5 times and no response (which I am taking as permission to proceed)

With regards to break in, I can't believe these scum think they can break in like that when you are home.
If you had of had some batting practice with him, you would have been in more trouble than him possibly.

Karma will prevail hopefully.

Neil

NeilM said:
DSA
Yep you got a reply at least.
i have emailed my local council 5 times and no response (which I am taking as permission to proceed)

With regards to break in, I can't believe these scum think they can break in like that when you are home.
If you had of had some batting practice with him, you would have been in more trouble than him possibly.

Karma will prevail hopefully.

Neil

I replied and asked him to escalate it to his management, and stressed that it causes no damage. I also mentioned metal detectorists clean up the grounds they detect on and often remove dangerous items like knives, broken bottles and syringes which if were to cause damage the council would be liable.

Don't like my chances but it's worth a shot, having to drive to the next council over to detect is a pain in my a$$, and as a result I've not been able to get out as much :rolleyes:

About the breakin, it's got to be some drug addicted loser. I've seen since that later on, on Saturday someone else got broken into in a very similar way by someone matching the description I've given. So they're just going around being scumbags. They're either going to get caught or seriously hurt by someone

As for getting into more trouble than the intruder, you are absolutely right and in that way our laws are rediculous.
I should have the right to feel safe in my own home knowing if anyone wants to break in I can deal with them with whatever force I deem necessary, within reason.

I think most everyday Australians would be in favor of a law change, under no circumstances should I be charged for protecting my family and property from a drug crazed loser who's smashed in my door to gain entry.

Obviously I'm not advocating for the ability to tie someone up and torture them, but if I hit them with a bat, then that's they're own fault, if they get stabbed they get stabbed, if you knock them out and their head hits the floor and they die, well then they die. Laws shouldn't be to protect crooks.

I think, and have always thought I should have the right to bare arms for self defense and shoot someone if they try to home invade me. 99.9% of the population don't go around breaking into house and I think they would agree with me

Australian self defence laws protect you if you use resonable force. If you kill somone then you can be up for manslaughter. The idea is to protect yourself and your property using resonable force. Just dont kill them.

Tiezto said:
Australian self defence laws protect you if you use resonable force. If you kill somone then you can be up for manslaughter. The idea is to protect yourself and your property using resonable force. Just dont kill them.

That's not true, 1 second of googling and I found this. And I'm sure there are more from every state

"In 2012, NSW courts awarded a man $50,000 after he was caught breaking into a pub and bashed by the licencee.

Joshua Fox, who was 16 at the time of the crime, was caught breaking into Peakhurst Inn in Sydney, where licencee Honeheke Newton lived with his wife. He hit the teenager with a bat, fracturing his forehead.

NSW District Court determined the licencee used "excessive force" and as well as paying the victim, was also ordered to pay the victim's mother $18,500 for the trauma of seeing her injured son."

Excessive force.....is not reasonable force....And there is a very thin line to what is deemed reasonable force...but it also depends on what the thret is..if attacker has a weapon..reasonable force is elivated..if there is more than one attacker ect..One thing i lernt in working in security for many years is always say you feared for your life..but there is so many things that can go against you..if the attacker was smaller build...if you chased him...if you kept striking after you... of your family were already safe ECT..The list goes on..Study the security guard training book it will give you a good understanding of the self defence laws. :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
Excessive force.....is not reasonable force....And there is a very thin line to what is deemed reasonable force...but it also depends on what the thret is..if attacker has a weapon..reasonable force is elivated..if there is more than one attacker ect..One thing i lernt in working in security for many years is always say you feared for your life..but there is so many things that can go against you..if the attacker was smaller build...if you chased him...if you kept striking after you... of your family were already safe ECT..The list goes on..Study the security guard training book it will give you a good understanding of the self defence laws. :Y:

I understand there are a lot of variables, and lots of gray areas to what you can and can't do.
I still believe you should be able to use unlimited force to end the threat, when the person is no longer a threat then further damage inflicted should be criminal, on the other hand I believe if you break into someone's house you relinquish all rights to safety and you should get what's coming to you.

It's a tough one, I just hate criminal scumbags. In my 28 years of life so far I have never once been in trouble with police, I don't fight, I don't rob or steal, not even a speeding ticket or parking fine, nothing.

Rexrmx450 said:
Not sure who finds more junk, I think i'm in front by a long shot, lol

Metal detecting is a cruel mistress, trash gives some nice signals sometimes :D
Keep digging em and you'll come up with the goods, even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut is my metal detecting motto :D

DetectingSA said:
Tiezto said:

That's not true, 1 second of googling and I found this. And I'm sure there are more from every state

"In 2012, NSW courts awarded a man $50,000 after he was caught breaking into a pub and bashed by the licencee.

Joshua Fox, who was 16 at the time of the crime, was caught breaking into Peakhurst Inn in Sydney, where licencee Honeheke Newton lived with his wife. He hit the teenager with a bat, fracturing his forehead.

NSW District Court determined the licencee used "excessive force" and as well as paying the victim, was also ordered to pay the victim's mother $18,500 for the trauma of seeing her injured son."

You will also find that a man murdered another man who was an intruder found in his daughters room avoided jail time.

There are no laws regarding metal detecting, really there is little point in asking councils for permission, just be careful, remove targets carefully and as long as there is no visible damage there should be no problem. The council guys who maintain all of the sportsfields in my local area don't mind me detecting them as I leave no trace that I was there, they regularly come over and have a chat with me to see what I find, I'm on first name basis with some of them.

Heatho said:
There are no laws regarding metal detecting, really there is little point in asking councils for permission, just be careful, remove targets carefully and as long as there is no visible damage there should be no problem. The council guys who maintain all of the sportsfields in my local area don't mind me detecting them as I leave no trace that I was there, they regularly come over and have a chat with me to see what I find, I'm on first name basis with some of them.

I was doing that up until I get removed by council workers, I was abit silly and was in view of a school (but still public property) and they snitched :D they've taken my name down and if I get caught again I'll be fined. I work too hard for my money to give it to a government who already take too much :mad:

I've not given up I'm just going to different council zones and being more selective where I hunt and who can see me

I'll be back out there tonight :Y:

Fair enough, but there would have to be damage to get a fine, detecting for surface finds should be no problem at all. Some council workers can be over zealous. :Y:

Just my opinion.

The only thing a Council can do is issue a fine for breach of the Local Law, in that you cannot interfere with Council Land/Reserves etc.

It would be a very brave Council to issue a fine for a breach of this local law considering the nature of detecting, unless you dug holes all over the cricket oval.

Local Law fines are usually under $200 and I'm sure if contested you would have a strong case for withdrawal.

Scratched the itch today with hunt #23

Hopped a few different parks, first 2 were too full of aluminum for me to want to stay there. Park 3 coughed up $4.50 for the Ctx/equinox (depending on reviews) fund :D

And another handful of coppers, for the pile

1518689358_img_3659.jpg

Still waiting to end this little silver drought, nothing particularly interesting today unfortunately but I still had fun out there :Y:

As mentioned by Heatho , best not to ask the council

Not that what we are doing is wrong , all councils are different

There will always be someone somewhere that may / could complain if they see you Detecting in a particular place

If someone complains to a council , they will act on it .

Councils would generally be aware of Detectorists

Just be confident about your retrieval skills , if approached be friendly , pick your time & place to detect

Went out for hunt #24 today, and was pretty successful.

I only dug 7 pieces of trash and nearly 20 coins including a shilling :D but mostly 1c and 2c for the pile

Still never found a threepence or a florin or a 92.5% silver, I have been tending to only dig 80+ targets.

I'm wondering if that's a mistake, the silvers I've found so far have been 84-87 ID. The pennies and 2 and two cents usually fall in the 80s+ as do $1s. I'm don't want to miss out on anything but so fair I've noticed the 70s usually gives me aluminum scrap.
I never dig below 60 which I'm thinking is a big mistake, don't really know. Anyone with Garrett ace experience able to give me a few pointers?

1518844427_img_3667.jpg

Latest posts