Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hAyyoUinAU said:
I doubt it can be that easy, the GPZ and SDC use a lot more juice than the Equinox ever will. Even with lithium.
They are 2 very portable machines..... and crammed with all the goodies.

You could throw an SDC 2300 on the ground with rocks..it is rough and rugged. I would not try that with an Equinox.

I would rather Minelab utilise the screen on the GPZ7000 like the 3030 does with target display... would be cool to get some sort of a visual..wave or something.
But that is also just being picky... GREAT MACHINES....

If anything the Equinox really killed off the GM1000...dare I say. But I think it could be true. Unless they knock down the price of the the GM to 800.
Throw a detector on the ground. Who would do such a thing :eek:
They are both great machines. No arguments from me there.
Could they be made to be more ergonomic? I believe so. A member of this forum has modified his SDC to a lighter format & he is just one man in his shed.
For those that don't need full waterproofing, foldable/collapsible, GPS etc. there could be cheaper options possible? Wireless &/or Bluetooth take no room to include (as per many VLF's). Lighter weight in a more traditional format shouldn't have to mean poor quality/more easily breakable.
Seeing as though the Equinox is Minelabs first real move away from their traditionally "clunky" style I am holding hope but not my breath :lol:

Can't wait to pick up an Equinox 800 to try out and compare with the other VLF offerings we have.

However "*Initial availability will be limited in all regions due to the very high pre-release demand. Dealers will soon be notified regarding local allocations and shipments. Please contact your local dealer for specific availability information. We will be doing our best to get detectors to all customers across February to fulfil pre-orders as quickly as possible."

Throw your sdc on the ground if you wish but please dont try to sell it later on to some poor unsuspecting person. :|

Bjay said:
Throw your sdc on the ground if you wish but please dont try to sell it later on to some poor unsuspecting person. :|

I sold my SDC and it has had no problems. Even though I myself never threw it, they are built for that.
They use them in the mines in Africa and that is the one reason why. Because they are handled roughly and can take the beating.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I look after everything and try to keep it as new.
So a SDC that is thrown on the ground would have marks and signs of this, so there would be NO unsuspecting person really.

I am not dishonest, far from it. My SDC was sold (AS NEW) because it was, with no marks or scratches.

mbasko said:
True MB you shouldn't have to make mods to fix things. I guess some of us are too accepting of these things.
I hope that the Equinox can also bring about some changes in other Minelab machines.
Hands up everyone that would like to see a SDC (or GPZ) in a lighter, cheaper, traditional detector format but with similar wireless options etc. It can be done!!
We best throw in greater sensitivity scale and notching , greater depth, and excellent overall balance, and multiple coil choice I'm convinced Minelab read all the suggestions so might as well ask for the farm. RRP as close to the 3K mark as possible. Thanks. :Y:

OldGT said:
mbasko said:
True MB you shouldn't have to make mods to fix things. I guess some of us are too accepting of these things.
I hope that the Equinox can also bring about some changes in other Minelab machines.
Hands up everyone that would like to see a SDC (or GPZ) in a lighter, cheaper, traditional detector format but with similar wireless options etc. It can be done!!
We best throw in greater sensitivity scale and notching , greater depth, and excellent overall balance, and multiple coil choice I'm convinced Minelab read all the suggestions so might as well ask for the farm. RRP as close to the 3K mark as possible. Thanks. :Y:

I would love a Musketeer Advantage in the style of the CTX,

Bjay said:

He said "could" not "did".................

The point is that the SDC is pretty tough and can take a bit of rough stuff......

Hi all!
I am completely new to detecting and after much research have my name down for the Equinox being released in a few days.
Being new I wanted a 'multi-purpose' beginner platform. You know the dream - find heaps of rings at the beach then find the biggest nugget ever off the Yarra or up in the gold fields.
No cash down yet so not committed, if I'm about to shoot myself in the foot please let me know!
I'll also be reading the forums to get a better idea of local conditions, most online info either relates to the USA or England.
Regards,

I would say it would be a good start for a beginner, and being a all round machine. Not knowing to much about the Equinox myself but will be watching over the next few months, and possibly be getting one myself.

Cheers

4 years in myself - restarting with one shortly too :Y:

Have a SDC, but plan to pull a big nugget out of the trash on the goldfields one day.

With your multi area objectives and targets type, I think it will make a great start - good luck :rainbow:

It does look like an excellent, all round machine. How it will handle the mineralised ground in Australia is the big question.

Jonathon Porter has been finding some gold and coins up around Clermont in Queensland and seems impressed. Yet to hear lots from him though - might be more from him soon now that Equinoxes are in peoples hands in the U.S.

It seems like it's versatility and the multi IQ will be it's biggest assets. And waterproof and light and the price and :D

Thanks for the replies. Will the hype match the results? Not sure, and it looks like a very light (easily broken?) machine.
Will watch the reviews with interest and good to have some Aussie ones too!

Yep, the reviews will be interesting. Take reviews with a grain of salt though - as always there will be some who will knock it regardless of its abilities. Like labour always so the opposite to liberal and vice versa even if a policy might be a good one :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be too concerned about it being fragile. I have a GM1000 and they may look fragile but really they're not.

Slipperyduck said:
Thanks for the replies. Will the hype match the results? Not sure, and it looks like a very light (easily broken?) machine.

Not at all - the hype excludes the harsh reality that you need to walk over the needle in a haystack.

A $99 ALDI detector found in the specials bin for $69 will pick up a beach ring (been there) or goldfields fist size nugget if you walk over it (not just yet).

Although, i would place a bet that I will extract a few more coins from some of my 705 hunted-out honey holes. :party: :rainbow: :party:

Wally69 said:
Slipperyduck said:

Not at all - the hype excludes the harsh reality that you need to walk over the needle in a haystack.

A $99 ALDI detector found in the specials bin for $69 will pick up a beach ring (been there) or goldfields fist size nugget if you walk over it (not just yet).

Although, i would place a bet that I will extract a few more coins from some of my 705 hunted-out honey holes. :party: :rainbow: :party:
You might be surprised wallly.. I declared my silver sand pit free of coins over a year ago (Well to the depth of the 705 anyway) then had a gpx5000 search it for over an hour for not one coin :eek: :D :Y:

1518308298_31.jpg

Latest posts