Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
Wally69 said:
Slipperyduck said:
Thanks for the replies. Will the hype match the results? Not sure, and it looks like a very light (easily broken?) machine.
Will watch the reviews with interest and good to have some Aussie ones too!

Not at all - the hype excludes the harsh reality that you need to walk over the needle in a haystack.

A $99 ALDI detector found in the specials bin for $69 will pick up a beach ring (been there) or goldfields fist size nugget if you walk over it (not just yet).

Although, i would place a bet that I will extract a few more coins from some of my 705 hunted-out honey holes. :party: :rainbow: :party:
You might be surprised wallly.. I declared my silver sand pit free of coins over a year ago (Well to the depth of the 705 anyway) then had a gpx5000 search it for over an hour for not one coin :eek: :D :Y:

Very true, the 705 is an extremely capable detector and I may have got them all like I did at the ALDI honey hole. Happy to admit I may be caught up in the multi frequency and effective discriminate hype. I see the immediate upgrade over the 705 for me is the near and in water capability.

Very happy to invest on the hope that my bucket list is ticked off faster, the sales pitch I have fallen for is an anchored expectation of getting there "more efficiently and effectively" and "doubt if I have walking over that needle before"

Will put it on the shelf with my snake oil bottle if I am dissapointed :lol: :D :lol:

Ah yes
Thats John24Gold
Have been out with him & ran into him Detecting a few years back
A very knowledgeable fella
Have you met him Rick
He lives on the Goldcoast

Trash said:
Ah yes
Thats John24Gold
Have been out with him & ran into him Detecting a few years back
A very knowledgeable fella
Have you met him Rick
He lives on the Goldcoast

Nah Trash. I met someone who has also been to his place, a guy that bought my SDC off me. Seen a few of his videos. He has quite a lot of relics. A mini museum. lol

Still not sure if the Equinox tones have won me over or not yet. I don't know if I like them or hate them. lol

I hated the Garrett ATX tones...one reason I originally went SDC. Glad I did. lol

Anyways..... soon we will know how well she handles down under. Especially relative to the top end machines.

I have a funny feeling it is priced to match its performance. Just a feeling.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Still not sure if the Equinox tones have won me over or not yet. I don't know if I like them or hate them. lol

I hated the Garrett ATX tones...one reason I originally went SDC. Glad I did. lol

Anyways..... soon we will know how well she handles down under. Especially relative to the top end machines.

Indeed

If you look on YouTube , the guy that did the unboxing & air test has just done another video

Minelab Equinox 800 park test

His first target dig with it is a junk ring

ANT

You'd pretty much expect any modern detector to perform well in air tests, field testing is the real test. Can't wait to run an Equinox over my flogged sites though to see what I can find. Not sure if I'll use the Eq on the beach too often though unless a 17 inch coil is released for it. Also the performance of my CTX has totally blown me away over the past week on North Coast NSW beaches getting some of the deepest $2 coins I've ever found with reasonably accurate target ID's to the full depth. If the ID wasn't hinting at a good target then chances are I wouldn't have dug them.

It's the faster recovery times and the hopefully better sensitivity of the Eq that has me all excited.

hAyyoUinAU said:

I couldn't care if it honks like a car horn, as long as it performs well. :)

Cllassic, haven't watched that yet, trying to conserve internet, will be home Wednesday and will watch it then.

Haha, so what, it does actually honk?? :D :lol:

Heatho said:
Cllassic, haven't watched that yet, trying to conserve internet, will be home Wednesday and will watch it then.

Haha, so what, it does actually honk?? :D :lol:

Video has a few flocks of geese flying over, seemed ever time a certain target response was received the geese would go crazy.

I swear the target response sound is as good as a goose mating call, think you could adapt the handle to take a small shotgun cartridge and have a feed and replenish the SDC fields while liberating some colonial silver.

Hi Folks, Miners Den had a stand at the Newcastle caravan extravaganza, we had a chance to have a short play with the Equinox; it looked the goods and the better half liked the weight or the lack of it; if we purchase one it will be hers for the coin and relic stuff. We were told there should be stock in the shops this week, back orders I think.
Cheers, SinHof.

SinHof said:
Hi Folks, Miners Den had a stand at the Newcastle caravan extravaganza, we had a chance to have a short play with the Equinox; it looked the goods and the better half liked the weight or the lack of it; if we purchase one it will be hers for the coin and relic stuff. We were told there should be stock in the shops this week, back orders I think.
Cheers, SinHof.
Yeah starting from today SinHof - how did you compare it to the ctx with the limited time you had to play with it?

G'Day Danny, we did not get to turn the Equinox on, there would have been far too much EMI in the crowded pavilion to be able get any real idea on how it performs. We were more interested in the weight and balance, both were pretty good, the better half liked it, so that was the main hurdle to cross at this stage. It will be interesting to hear some real-world non-biased reviews going forward. We don't have any MineLab dealers within easy reach of home these days, it's either drive to Sydney or Mudgee in mid west NSW so we will sit back and see what transpires.
Cheers, SinHof.
PS: Might have to send Heatho across Miners Den to pick up some factual feedback.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Miners Den Brisbane still has no ETA on the Equinox.

Sounds like the date will be announced the day they get them in stock.

Did you Try Lost treasures ?

Latest posts