Illegal spoon mining Queensland (Qld)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldfreak said:
Yes. The main reason I posted this was to warn people. I know I was in the wrong now. No need to start the insults.

"If your going to be stupid enough" is not an insult so don't even go there mate ;) And really you should have known you were in the wrong all along. If you are conducting this type of activity in Queensland you should already be familiar with that states rules and regs. ;) SS.

Secret Squirrels said:
Goldfreak said:
Yes. The main reason I posted this was to warn people. I know I was in the wrong now. No need to start the insults.

"If your going to be stupid enough" is not an insult so don't even go there mate ;) And really you should have known you were in the wrong all along. If you are conducting this type of activity in Queensland you should already be familiar with that states rules and regs. ;) SS.
It wasn't that. But it's related to this thread.

Which bank were you on Goldfreak?
I know the spot in question well and yes it has been prospected many times by many people over many many years.

By the bridge is a popular swimming hole so if you were more than 40m away from it and on the farm side of the river (not the national park side) then you should have been fine...
That said the river itself is not exempt and the boundary for the park is the far side of the river tecnically the high water mark but thats a grey area so Id call it the far waters edge and leave it there.

However if you were in all those nice basalt outcrops around the swimming hole then I could understand the rangers concern.

Dont worry Goldfreak, plenty more river downstream of there to work.

TGW.

Goldfreak said:
Secret Squirrels said:
Goldfreak said:

It wasn't that. But it's related to this thread.

Care to point it out? 8) In other words put up or shut up with the insult accusation mate :)

The Green Wanderer said:
Which bank were you on Goldfreak?
I know the spot in question well and yes it has been prospected many times by many people over many many years.

By the bridge is a popular swimming hole so if you were more than 40m away from it and on the farm side of the river (not the national park side) then you should have been fine...
That said the river itself is not exempt and the boundary for the park is the far side of the river tecnically the high water mark but thats a grey area so Id call it the far waters edge and leave it there.

However if you were in all those nice basalt outcrops around the swimming hole then I could understand the rangers concern.

Dont worry Goldfreak, plenty more river downstream of there to work.

TGW.
yes I was on the wrong side, eastern side. If you know anywhere I could still go and pan legally please pm me. Panning and swimming was something my son and I used to love doing there.

No angry shots Heatho, and definately no problem with goldfreak :Y: was just answering a post that asked what had been done that was wrong, and gave a blunt answer that stated the facts. ]:D As for trivialities, DG, i don't call being accused of insulting someone as trivial, that is an attack on my integrity and i will back myself in everytime, as it appears no one else will. :Y: Peace be with you all :)

Goldfreak has posted this in order to warn others of a silly mistake or error in judgement, that does not mean he is fair game for insults or rudeness, Take it for what it is he messed up there is no need to drag him over the coals, The park rangers already did that.

give the Guy a break,

GF, go and stand by the Naughty Wall during break time. and don't do it again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

don't worry mate at leased now you know aye.

good luck.

John.

Secret Squirrels said:
No angry shots Heatho, and definately no problem with goldfreak :Y: was just answering a post that asked what had been done that was wrong, and gave a blunt answer that stated the facts. ]:D As for trivialities, DG, i don't call being accused of insulting someone as trivial, that is an attack on my integrity and i will back myself in everytime, as it appears no one else will. :Y: Peace be with you all :)

Yeah all good ss was just trying to call time out as we are all hear to learn from each other and share our interest in prospecting .
No offence intended my end !

Secret Squirrels said:
MikeB05 said:
Fossicking in National Parks is illegal in QLD.

Fossicking within a defined distance of a bridge or culvert is also illegal. Reference: QLD Fossicking Act 1994

Fines apply and yes equipment can be confiscated (vehicles too I've been told)

Use of highbankers with water supplied by a pump also illegal in QLD according to some (including Mines Dept inspector) but many disagree on this.

Their (Mines) logic is..you cant use power operated water pumps to assist fossicking...and you are still fossicking (including processing) dirt until you find the fossicikng material ( gold or gems).

You can sell ringside seats to the fight and disagreements that follow a post such as this.

My advice is for people to read the QLD Fossicking Act and satisfy themselves. No-one has been prosecuted to best of my knowledge.

Highbankers and rockers using a hand operated water pump seem to be quite OK.

Can someone now start supplying popcorn.... :)

High mike, not that i'm arguing the point, i just can't find any reference to this in the act you supplied? Would you clarify it's position in the act please. cheers, SS.

Gday Secret Squirrel...the reference to fossicking near bridges is actually in the QLD Fossicking Regulations 2009 that are read in conjunction with the ACT:

It's in Sect 13 of the regs...extract shown below: hope this helps

13 Fossicking in a watercourse
(1) This section applies to a person fossicking in a watercourse.
(2) The person must not
(a) fossick within 40m of
(i) a weir, bridge or other structure in or over the
watercourse; or

So I was technically wrong...digging under a bridge is not illegal in the ACT but is illegal in the Regulations that support the ACT.

Does this clarify??
cheers
Mike

Goldfreak said:
Lucky it wasn't you 7.62. Could have turned that spoon into a deadly weapon. They would have had no idea.
doing my subjects for cpl we had to give a 5 min talk on something my was a comb and 3 ways you cold kill someone and you were given 10min to prepare
one guy had a spoon i didnt know you could do so many bad things with a spoon ]:D ]:D
another had a box of matches, screwdriver, pen and on it went for 30 people

1503648535_images-9.jpg
getting a mental image of what 7.62 looks like in real life.

Latest posts