What minerals/gemstones found near dolomite?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I am wondering what minerals, and or gemstones may be found near a site rich in dolomite? Or is it just a too broad of a question?
I dont have any experience fossicking or panning but would like to give it a shot this winter.
The spot i have has streams and seems to be rich in dolomite.

Dolomite is for the most part, is formed with the help of organic action. I.e. anaerobic supersaturated salt lagoons that are inoculated with sulfate-reducing bacteria. So there is no significant exposure to pressure or heat involved in its creation. From my understanding, dolomite deposits are not known to produce any gemstones. Unless the streams cut through other kinds of strata (granite, schist etc) then there is little prospect for gems.

It does occur in seams with other minerals that are found with gold. i.e. galena, sphalerite, pyrite ect. If the iron content in the region is high enough and the seams are intersecting the right kind of schist it may be possible to find garnets at the intersections but that is just speculation and I have no evidence to back that up.

Thank you for that infor,ation sneaky.
I hear there was an old dolomite mine in the area.
Interesting

G'Day All

As a geologist I can fully support the well thought out post from SneakyCuttlefish. I would go a little further and suggest that where there are areas of strongly metamorphosed dolomite and or limestone you can get a whole range of common gem minerals including garnets, epidote etc as well as rubies and other less common gemstones. Metamorphic dolomite is not at all common in Australia and even where it thought to occur the thoeries of its formation are often open to conjecture.

Araluen

Now, calcite is the stuff you want to find.

All kinds of goodies are found in calcite deposits. Spinels, rubies, garnets etc. The true, unheated Vietnamese blue spinels are found in calcite over there.

There's a calcite deposit on the Atherton Tablelands, about 30ft down a pit that certain old timers claim perfectly formed light pink dodecahedral garnets where found by the bucket load. Found a historical document in a library that said the same thing too but that one was from back in the 1800's. Pit was abandoned once they hit the calcite as there was no more tin to be won.

Calcite is where the fun is at.

Very interesting swright and sneaky. This gives me some confidence to try some fossicking in the area.

When are we going to this calcite deposit. Just up the road from me...

SneakyCuttlefish said:
Now, calcite is the stuff you want to find.

All kinds of goodies are found in calcite deposits. Spinels, rubies, garnets etc. The true, unheated Vietnamese blue spinels are found in calcite over there.

There's a calcite deposit on the Atherton Tablelands, about 30ft down a pit that certain old timers claim perfectly formed light pink dodecahedral garnets where found by the bucket load. Found a historical document in a library that said the same thing too but that one was from back in the 1800's. Pit was abandoned once they hit the calcite as there was no more tin to be won.

Calcite is where the fun is at.

treasureman said:
Hey guys.
I am wondering what minerals, and or gemstones may be found near a site rich in dolomite? Or is it just a too broad of a question?
I dont have any experience fossicking or panning but would like to give it a shot this winter.

Hey mate,

Here in Brazil we find calcite on the dolomite
1493231036_calcita.jpg

Thate cool joao, do you find many gems in brazil?
Its something ive never tried gemstone hunting. But id like to put as much effort in as i have with metal detecting.
Now that is winter time it could be a good time of yewr to give it a try.

You'll want a sieve and bucket and shovel, we always take too much stuff, keep it simple. ;)

1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" sieves, shovel, bucket, enthusiasm and Lots of Luck.... Oh and a small Container to put your Goodies in... :)

LW....

Awesome. I have the enthusiasm and with any luck, some luck.
You would think australia is relatively untapped considering how big the place is.

A very interesting gem guy I know has the opinion that there is one person for every square meter searching for gems in east asia and certain parts of africa. Here its more like 1 person for every 100 square kilometres. Incredibly untapped.

SneakyCuttlefish said:
A very interesting gem guy I know has the opinion that there is one person for every square meter searching for gems in east asia and certain parts of africa. Here its more like 1 person for every 100 square kilometres. Incredibly untapped.

Bang on!

The geology of eastern Australia in particular, from almost Cape York right down through NSW and into eastern Vic I think, is just screaming out untapped gem deposits. Whenever I drive up your way to visit the in-laws on the Tablelands, I'm looking at a virtually unbroken line of igneous formations for the entire 1200km drive. Exactly the same when I drive the 600km down to Brisbane - and on across the border.

I suspect we have just as much gem potential as Africa, South America and SE Asia. Only difference is the one your mate mentioned - here, hardly anyone has ever looked or is looking compared to overseas gem regions.

SC, did you hear about a discovery of diamonds on the Tablelands? Wife's uncle had heard something about it. They are underneath prime agricultural land so of course they aren't going to be mined if they do exist.

We found some dark pyrope garnets in a creek in the area, the two can potentially go together.

The mining boom far from over in australia if you ask me. Imagine outting the entire african population on the australian continent. Youd see people fossicking in every river and stream. More than likely finding record size diamonds and gems.

Lefty, there is a small diamond exploration company that is drilling in certain areas where indicator minerals have been found in creeks and streams. From what I have heard they have identified some areas of interest. But the areas are most likely in strategic farmland reserves or have tight envirnomental controls so in my opinion the prospects of mining are low. There is also a rumour of a kimberlite pipe up in the mountains somewhere that is linked with the Bones Knob volcanic system that has yielded some small diamonds. I assume it is either of low grade importance or is in National Park lands which is why there hasn't been any further full scale exploitation.

Most of the Atherton Tablelands is, in my opinion, rich in gems. My theory is that vast deposits where covered in very thick layers of basalt lava. This lava has broken down to the high quality red soils the region is famous for. In some places farmers have sunk bores up to 100 ft before hitting bed rock. Some places there is a still thick, solid basalt lava flows that haven't broken down yet. The volcanic activity finished up only 15,000 years ago so geologically speaking the region isn't old enough for erosion to strip the top soils, erode the underlying rock and concentrate the gems.

Many of the outer parts of the region i.e. Herberton, Innot hot springs, Mt Garnet etc don't have the thick lava flows. This means erosion has had time to effect the host rocks directly for longer. That's why (in a general sense) there has been such significant concentrations of tin, topaz and limited pockets of sapphires discovered in those areas. I'm sure there are sapphire pipes containing million of carats buried under the lava flows. But, without being able to see whats under the soils we will never know. Random drilling is like shooting the ocean with a rifle in the hope of hitting a fish. Pointless.

There is big deposits of corundum, garnets, tourmaline, topaz, peridot, aquamarine etc to be had West and North of the Tablelands but the country out that way is vast and hard and some of the places are just to bloody dangerous to go without explicit knowledge of the area and the people that inhabit it. There is a lot of shady shite that goes on up here. This is probably why so little exploration is done by the general fossicking community.

Most of the Atherton Tablelands is, in my opinion, rich in gems

My father-in-law and I talk about this every time we visit. He does like fossicking, though he's getting on a little bit. I reckon there's likely a bonanza hiding there under all that rich red soil. But like you say, it's deep and also the fact that it's a very high rainfall climate makes mining more difficult as well.

And I reckon there are likely rich deposits right up and down the east coast/subcoast. It's a great mass of granite with volcanic plugs jutting out everywhere. Intrusive, extrusive, felsic through to ultramafic - if it's igneous you'll find it in eastern QLD and eastern NSW.

But again like you say - it's a huge country and there's bugger all people out looking overall :|

I
joao garimpeiro said:
treasureman said:
Hey guys.

Hey mate,

Here in Brazil we find calcite on the dolomite
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2904/1493231036_calcita.jpg
I hear you guys have the best amethyst geodes aswell like the Uraguans :Y:

Latest posts