GPZ Shutting Down?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kim, I to have had a few issues with the audio dropping out on the odd occasion when changing Ground Type Modes, Difficult to Normal and visa versa. I would turn the machine off Waite for 30 seconds turn on, go through a full ground balance and all was okay.
Today was different, I started with ground balance then repeated in different modes, eg Normal/High Yeild, Normal/General then Difficult/General using ferrite. The 7000 lost audio in about 15 minutes, so turn Off Waite 30 seconds turn On ground balance again with out ferrite as it was back in car, once again lost audio. Over 2 hours I lost audio 6 times, decided to have lunch turned machine Off and also took battery out of machine to make sure 7000 powered out completely. After lunch used the ferrite to ground balance in the different modes as above, this time it lasted about 30 minutes before loosing audio. Turned Off, 30 seconds then On and used machine without changing settings for the next few hours, this seemed to help (with a question mark). I changed Ground Type Modes a couple of times after the few hours and it kept audio.
It will be 10 days or so before I can take the 7000 out again, to see how it performs.
I am using 14" coil.
Cheers

Hi Kim, I to have had a few issues with the audio dropping out on the odd occasion when changing Ground Type Modes, Difficult to Normal and visa versa. I would turn the machine off Waite for 30 seconds turn on, go through a full ground balance and all was okay.
Today was different, I started with ground balance then repeated in different modes, eg Normal/High Yeild, Normal/General then Difficult/General using ferrite. The 7000 lost audio in about 15 minutes, so turn Off Waite 30 seconds turn On ground balance again with out ferrite as it was back in car, once again lost audio. Over 2 hours I lost audio 6 times, decided to have lunch turned machine Off and also took battery out of machine to make sure 7000 powered out completely. After lunch used the ferrite to ground balance in the different modes as above, this time it lasted about 30 minutes before loosing audio. Turned Off, 30 seconds then On and used machine without changing settings for the next few hours, this seemed to help (with a question mark). I changed Ground Type Modes a couple of times after the few hours and it kept audio.
It will be 10 days or so before I can take the 7000 out again, to see how it performs.
I am using a 14" coil.
Has anyone had a simular problem?
Cheers

Strange thing how the audio goes and yet we have have done everything even talking with JP with the machine in front of us, with no luck

My concern is Minelab says they could find nothing wrong with it and claim they changed the relay connection between the two, yet head phones didn't work neither plunged into the machine, we haven't ran it yet, may get a run on Sunday.
K-M

Hi All, I could not wait so took the 7000 out for another run. The only way to run it stably was to ground balance in one mode only. Any ideas ??

Warranty... Not fit for purpose.
If you have demonstrated this in front of Minelab guys you have a pretty solid case for repair or replacement or money back end of story.

Australian consumer law is very clear on this point. And you have an even stronger case if there are a few doing exactly the same thing.
Document and video the issues.

Good luck

We are heading out in the morning will be interesting to see if it drops out. If it does there will be harsh words with minelab.

I will post when I get home tomorrow at least with this thread we have a couple of things to try.

Not good to go walking a K or so into the bush to detect and it cuts out.

It is pretty unreliable what's going on with it. 8.(
K-M

Well mine did just that a week ago , 5hr drive to get there turn the Z on reset the machine did a GB dump re-GB'd did the F/ring dance and presto my screen said "Overload" and turned itself off. Tried with the 14" coil and ctx battery to no avail stayed like that for the rest of the trip and the SDC and I got reacquainted for 2 days OH what fun NOT

ML have it now , be interesting what they say caused it.

Marty

It actually said 'overload'????? That's a new one. Mine never said that and none of the others have mentioned that either. Strange days indeed :|
Be interesting to hear the response from Minelab.
Hope it is a simple fix for you.

CTX ((AA)) Battery pack wont work on the "Z"

Yes 100% "Overload"
I thought it was due to me doing a GB dump from the machine but after changing back to the 14" coil it made no difference so the 19" coil wasn't at fault and changing to the CTX main battery also made no diff, meaning the "Z" was dead out of water !!!
It did activate the Z screen as a normal boot up for 1/2 a sec each time (3 times) during the weekend ((wishful thinking that the Z would come back to life)) to no avail
I do have 2 days off Thr/Fri this week but I doubt that the Z will be back due to a PH in SA this week

Bugger Bugger BUGGER

Marty

Thanks for that ....................... did Z have latest firmware ? Try reloading firmware ? Will be interested to see the cause of problem

So now it won't even start up!!?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've just posted my SDC back to be fixed - I think I would have to personally deliver the Z. Would be like sending one of the kids via post :|

If you ever see me lying on the ground in the bush, with the Z turned off and no apparent cause don't be alarmed - I've probably just fainted as the word "overload" had popped up on my screen :D :D :D

Well the 7000 went out for a test run today after taking some good advice from Phase Tech (Nenad). :) :) A full reset was carried out, the detector ran the quietest its ran for months. I found 2 colours a 0.74 gram plus a 0.20 gram and that was in G/Normal.

Cheers

Ok The Z is back and I ended up getting a complete new control box.
ML couldn't say what they found wrong just that if its a bad enough fault during the warranty period that they just replace the control box , in my case anyways

Lets hope she runs a little better now

Some interesting upgrades coming for us but a can say what they are ;) wouldn't be fair to Kevin

Marty

Marty said:
Ok The Z is back and I ended up getting a complete new control box.
ML couldn't say what they found wrong just that if its a bad enough fault during the warranty period that they just replace the control box , in my case anyways

Lets hope she runs a little better now

Some interesting upgrades coming for us but a can say what they are ;) wouldn't be fair to Kevin

Marty

Impressive ..................... both remedy as in no mucking around just replace the lot and also turn around time :Y:

Latest posts