"Bogged" The Moment i wished i still had a winch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1477126927_img_4012.jpg

I rekon you would defiantly would of got it out AF, honestly I was not prepared at all and yeah as you can see it just sank as soon as I stoped it was an awful feeling lucky at worst its only a few km's back to town, when old mate turned up we dug and put some timber under the wheels a bit like ramps and then we just snatched it out the hardest bit was the preparation I would say :rolleyes:

Thats a real good bog mate.
Red neck methods can get you out, but its usually very hard work. Ive done the A frame thing to get my rear wheels up.
2 good sapplings bound togethertop of the A frame goes under the tow ball, and the wide "feet of the frame dug, and jammed into the ground. Pack follige under the front wheels, low range, reverse, hope! Once the rear wheels are up, pack "stuff " under them, and drive fwd a little, remove A frame, and try to reverse out at idle in low range.
dont know if it would have helped in your case mate, but worth remembering.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful methods of recovery hopefully I have learnt my lesson and invest in some recovery gear in the near future ;)

greencheeks77 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6024/1477126927_img_4012.jpg
I rekon you would defiantly would of got it out AF, honestly I was not prepared at all and yeah as you can see it just sank as soon as I stoped it was an awful feeling lucky at worst its only a few km's back to town, when old mate turned up we dug and put some timber under the wheels a bit like ramps and then we just snatched it out the hardest bit was the preparation I would say :rolleyes:

Give us a break fellas, how come there are no ruts between front and back wheels. Nothing behind back wheels.
Unless you had limited slip or diff lockers on your front differential the rope on the front wheel would not assist at all.
Definite set up here, definitely not falling for this one.
"You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time."

Nightjar said:
greencheeks77 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6024/1477126927_img_4012.jpg

Give us a break fellas, how come there are no ruts between front and back wheels. Nothing behind back wheels.
Unless you had limited slip or diff lockers on your front differential the rope on the front wheel would not assist at all.
"You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time."

I hate people saying anything stupid. I don't really suffer fools very well at all. When people are acting like idiots, not that I'm not guilty of doing the odd idiotic thing myself from time to time, but when people say stupid things, it stresses me out... :eek: My quote for the day...

Sorry night jar it was no setup and I wouldn't appreciate people going around saying I am playing people for stooges nor did I do it to look like a goose to everyone either I would show you pics with my mate and his 60 series that pulled me out but I don't have the right to reveal his identity for the sake of it .. anyway each to their own So Whatever :p

Nightjar said:
greencheeks77 said:

I will take some of your input on-board as I should have b4 I made that comment, I will acknowledge that yes if I had more rope I should of applied the idea to both of the front wheels and not just the one.. like the old saying isn't it "we learn something new everyday" so thanks for raising that point :cool:

Always have a shovel with you and dig a slight ramp in front of the tyres to bring you up to level ground and put sticks and branches in the hole. I reckon you would've driven out of that. Make sure the axles/diff won't get caught up. Lower your tyre pressure to help. The rope would be a last resort it isn't strong. If you tapped the brakes it might provide enough drive to assist in an open diff. Remember that lsd diffs may require some traction to work and toyota lsd diffs are as good as open after around 40k.
Jon

what can I say other than you and mbasko are legends Whoop Whoop don't make it personal guys otherwise I will
return the favour.. :D
Nightjar said:
Now worries Greencheeks,
Never in all my years in the bush have I ever seen where someone has driven into a bog situation like you were in and not left any tracks before bottoming out.
Enough said.

If people havnt plopped through the crust in to holes like that ,they either go flat out or havent been in rotten country, you said you were turning around so the moment you stopped and went to move again can be enough to drop in , i have done it with tractors and any wheel tracks disapear as the crust is only 2 or 3 inches thick and pure liquid slop is under neath which buldges the tracks back to level.
You can jump on the ground and see the ground move 6 foot away , i believe the yarn and have done worse myself like dropping a 12 ton header through the crust just like there were holes ready dug and the tyres on it are 3 ft wide and 6 ft high. Anythings possible when its rained an inch a week for 4 months.

Nightjar said:
Now worries Greencheeks,
Never in all my years in the bush have I ever seen where someone has driven into a bog situation like you were in and not left any tracks before bottoming out.
Enough said.

I dont understand.......you can very clearly see the tyre tracks in the second pic where he has tried to turn around.
You ever walked on solid ground that flexes and bounces under your feet?
What do you think is under it?

greencheeks77 said:
what can I say other than you and mbasko are legends Whoop Whoop don't make it personal guys otherwise I will
return the favour.. :D
Nightjar said:
Now worries Greencheeks,
Enough said.
Mate you've gone & made it personal against me just because I put a "like" on a post. (I've now removed it to help relieve your stress in life).
At the end of the day I hadn't said anything at all!!
At first glance I agreed with Nightjar. To me it doesn't look right. I've actually been bogged in very similar stuff to what aussiefarmer describes - difference is you could see my tracks for at least 2-3 car lengths getting gradually deeper before breaking through the "crust" pretty much down to the sills.
After reading AF's post then I concede it may be feasible but nothing I've personally experienced to just drive into an isolated area of it like that anyway.
I've only been stupid enough to get bogged the once so far & I'm hoping not to do it again anytime soon - especially when by myself as I was. I had to hitch back into town covered in mud (no phone coverage) & was lucky the local postie took pity on me allowing me in his car on a post bag. It took me & my old man a couple of hours to get it out by digging around each wheel area to get a jack in then slowly jacking it up + packing with timber under the wheels until we got it up enough to pull it out. At one point I thought it might be staying there! :8

BigWave said:
Hey aussiefarmer, I would sure like to know more about your "rails". I've learned a hell of a lot from this thread, to the point where I now know how little I know. Thanks also greencheeks77!
Yeah the key to all that rambling was to think out side the box ,
tying a rail tight against the tyres from one side to the other will only let you travel one quarter of a tyre rotation at which point you should be parked on top of the rail and up on top of the ground at which point you will need to cut the rail free before it comes back up under neath your vehicle .
Ideal rail would be a 4x2 or 4 inch round sappling and being the width of your vehivle or wider means it spreads the weight over alot of ground.
Finding a rail you can use and getting it in place under a bogged vehicle and tied tight through the holes in your rims then cutting it free and layin more timber or stones down to drive out will take probly 2 hours if no problems occur , so its not easy but it will rescue you when the easier options fail.
Order of operations to me would be
Look close by for a tow
Try phone a friend
Assess how far you need to walk to get phone service or help
Quick dig and try rock it out
If all these fail then its time to get bodgy as sticks break wire scratches and dints and damage can happen.
Jacking vehicles to pack under the wheels in soft conditions just plan and simple sucks and the rail option is my goto but luckily i havent used it in years as i usually ensure theres a better plan B.

Mbasko by "liking" his post you're basically saying you agree or "what he said".

So don't cry about being included in the rebuttal

Latest posts