Clarifying Thing Up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, rang the Mines and resource dept yesterday as a guy posted on FB that he was high banking in Deep creek, and said that he was told he could use a motor to pump water to the high banker.

Well I wanted to clear things up, and of course as I already knew we are not allowed either petrol or battery.

While I had Rossco on the phone, i asked about the Banjo and how I use it, he said, "No problems, quite alright" So that's good.

This is the email Rossco sent me to share to those guys which I have done, and any forum that has confusion in regard to these mechanical means.

The use a highbanker/sluice to fossick for gold in Queensland is permitted, however any fossicking materials would have to be fed into the hopper by means other than mechanical devices.

The use of water in a highbanker/sluice is permitted, so long as the method of delivery to the device does not involve powered equipment.

The use of power operated equipment (water pump), which includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and electrical equipment and petrol operated machinery, to fossick for gold is strictly prohibited.

Regards

Rossco

Ross Howkins
Field and Land Access Officer
Brisbane District Office
Mining and Petroleum Operations

Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Queensland Minerals and Energy Centre
Level 16, 61 Mary Street,
Brisbane Queensland 4000
PO Box 15216, City East Queensland 4002
Phone: 07 3199 7750 Fax: 07 3405 5347 Mob: 04 0960 8312

Cheers

Len

Hi there Cecc
Thanks for clearing that up as i was going to buy a hand pump like the on on the rockin yobskin sometime this week.Looks like its back to the river sluice.Cheers Rick. :eek:

Hey Smokey bandit I have a hand pump and they are totally ok, asked about this last year. Anything used by hand is ok, they don't like the pumping part, i.e petrol or battery operated machinery.

MikeB05 said:
Hi Len, so a hand operated mechanical pump is not allowed if I am reading this right. Would therefore have to bucket water into a highbanker or use a creek level sluice?.
cheers
Mike

Hand operated mechanical pump is permitted from what Cecc has just posted.

No guys, a hand operated pump is allowed just asked him, here is his reply.

Len

The item if described correctly by you would be classified as a hand tool, I assume it is similar to a sucker bulb used to suck gold (heavys) out of a pan, but on a larger size. So long as the device does not involve or utilize or is attached to powered equipment, which includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and electrical equipment and petrol operated machinery.

Regards

Rossco

I asked him specifically....can we use them and he said.....

Yes

Ross Howkins
Field and Land Access Officer
Brisbane District Office
Mining and Petroleum Operations

Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Queensland Minerals and Energy Centre
Level 16, 61 Mary Street,
Brisbane Queensland 4000
PO Box 15216, City East Queensland 4002
Phone: 07 3199 7750 Fax: 07 3405 5347 Mob: 04 0960 8312
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]

Heatho as far as I know, I asked Rossco about using a bilge pump like yobs uses on the rocker, and that seems to be ok. Just not petrol or battery pumped into a device. Wow I should get a job in the Dept. hahaha wouldn't i have fun

Yes AR my next question to them what is the definition of, "Mechanical"?

SORRY if im not quite getting it guys..... but The email from Rossco says..........the use of pneumatic pump.....to pump water..... is strictly prohibited.......isnt a pneumatic pump only operated by hand or foot???

That sums that up nicely. As long as the object you are using to process the water or feed isn't being ran or attached to any mechanical powered equipment, your sweet :) So you really can use things like ram pumps, rope pumps, californian pumps etc.. wonder if waterwheels are even allowed ;)

Smoky bandit said:
SORRY if im not quite getting it guys..... but The email from Rossco says..........the use of pneumatic pump.....to pump water..... is strictly prohibited.......isnt a pneumatic pump only operated by hand or foot???
Powered pneumatic pump :)

Edit - ahhh..I see.. petrol powered is at the end....

Need their definition of mechanical and powered. Lol

Edit edit - but he has still labelled all of that under powered in his sentence..

Yeah AR so long as the water to a device is supplied by hand it's ok, like Yobs's bilge pump on the side of the rocker, asked Ross this and he said it's ok

AWESOME good post Cecc .......You have cleared that up for us all.... :D ...By the way can i use a magnetic driven water pump????..Hahaha just joking :p

Yeah mate thanks.

Guys there is no need now to delve into interpretation of words. We have it plain and simple from the guy who works in this area and is the field and land access officer, and who people from the dept of Department of Natural Resources and Mines sent me to him, because this is his area of expertise.

I have got what I wanted and you all should be rest assured now that we have it in writing, that's all I wanted.

Cheers everyone.

Latest posts