Yep,, Fridges Again ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I did run it empty, I need to go shopping so I can fill it up, I have been lazy in that department because I am decorating the Kitchen and my fridge/freezer is easier to move with nothing in it, Lol

But thanks for that I will give it a try.

john.

Condor, New Engel 40L combi arrived today - thanks your buying recommendation (Aussie Post today still predicted delivery last Friday - go figure). Installed cover & handles and cooling the beers as I post! Looks great & the Boag's inside will taste great! I look forward to it outlasting me for my kids who are currently eyeing it off for their outback adventures (can't say "camping trips" anymore). Cheers, BW.

Pick my Bushman fridge up this Friday. :)
Already have the meat and vegie's frozen and it will have a 3 hour trip in
the Prado to stabilize and running it in 45 litre configuration.
I am going to run 3 x 60 ah AGM Batteries as I am not sure on how much sunlight we
are going to get.
Plus making sure my Panels don't get ripped off. :)
My Panels are 160 watt folding.
Let us see how it goes. :)

BigWave said:
Condor, New Engel 40L combi arrived today - thanks your buying recommendation (Aussie Post today still predicted delivery last Friday - go figure). Installed cover & handles and cooling the beers as I post! Looks great & the Boag's inside will taste great! I look forward to it outlasting me for my kids who are currently eyeing it off for their outback adventures (can't say "camping trips" anymore). Cheers, BW.

Great you should have many years of use...

TIP - Don't lend anything to any of your rellies that they can't afford to replace............and tell em that up front.

Years ago (in the 70s as adults) I lent my brother a valve spring depressor, he buggered it.
A while late I lent him an electric Jigsaw, he burnt the motor out.

He neither fixed or replaced either, not even the offer to do so.

I've never lent him anything since...............I thought everyone deserves a 2nd chance, not now and 3rd is never gonna happen, lol.

Love fridges, almost as important as the detector!

1458130996_20160106_2212351.jpg

heres mine, a primus. So far so good, 3 years. Never misses a beat, always cold, great seals and very well insulated. Stainless steel box.

Hi Condor,
Loving my Engel 40L Combi, but when I want to run it just as a Fridge (without the divider), the two baskets will rattle around without the divider. Do you know if Engel makes a single basket for this model as I couldn't fine one on their website? Otherwise, I'll make a hollow divider out of ply or similar. Cheers BW.

davent said:
Love fridges, almost as important as the detector!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6002/1458130996_20160106_2212351.jpg

heres mine, a primus. So far so good, 3 years. Never misses a beat, always cold, great seals and very well insulated. Stainless steel box.

That is another model I like, I think all of these fridges are amazing things, I don't know how we ever got on with out them and the speed they get cold at is incredible, they are way faster than domestic fridges.

john

Looks like you're enjoying the portable fridge John, yes they chill quickly, not as much heat to remove in their sizes compared to the domestic.
How about keeping the butter solid and the milk fresh for the day through summer in one of these?
This was a huge break through, someone may know who the inventor was. I think we can assume he/she was from Coolgardie, West Australia?
***Note** The tin cans under the legs, which were filled with water??? to stop the ants invading the space.
Found the inventor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolgardie_safe

Yeah I am, they are so much better than a domestic fridge, I use to have one of them Coolgardie safes back on the farm, we never used it because we had a cool room fridge under the house and a big chest freezer but it was a good conversation piece.

john

BigWave said:
Yep, my new Engel certainly cycles. It's a beauty (thanks Condor) - best thing though is my son has all his beer in it, and I have the technology to fix that - my mouth.

What a Nice Lad, Donating them cans so you could test it properly, What a thoughtful Lad :D :D

bundyjd said:
I almost bought an Engel, but I don't use it every day and found it hard to justify the price difference. Even the fact my brother has one and it packed it in just a few weeks short of the warranty expiring didn't really put me off.

I couldn't find a reason not to buy the Evacool.

The 5 year warranty on *everything* appealed to me too.

All the Evacool models ive looked at only carry a 2 year warranty ?

GaryO said:
bundyjd said:
I almost bought an Engel, but I don't use it every day and found it hard to justify the price difference. Even the fact my brother has one and it packed it in just a few weeks short of the warranty expiring didn't really put me off.

We if you take the price of each brand and divide the price by the warranty it actually works out cheaper per year a 1500 dollar fridge is costing 300 per year and a 1200 dollar fridge is costing 600 per year so really the one works out cheaper to own if it breaks down in the first 5 years,

I think Engel and ARB have 3 year warranties,

john

Nightjar said:
However, the $1500 fridge is still running 20+ years later and the cheaper has been replaced a few times.
My mates had Evacools, compressor on one replaced under warranty the second died months out of warranty. Both the 240V/12V transformers died within first 12 months.

That's an incredible feat of engineering when you think about, They just reset the record books, I hope my ARB runs as Good.

I paid $960, 23 yrs ago, that's a bit under $42 per year (and consistently going down). Still going problem free, no rust, no noise and cold cold beers.......

GaryO said:
bundyjd said:

Definitely 5 years on the model I bought :)

http://www.evakool.com/fridges/tmx-travelmate-fridge-freezers/38-litre-tmx-fridge-freezer

If you have a good look around the Evacool web site at all of their mobile fridges; Some have a 5 year Warranty, others only 2 years.

So the key is to be specific regarding which model is being discussed.

They may both be fruit, but apples aint oranges :)

Latest posts