Which Fridge, (its Driving Me Nuts)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day Folks, I have been thinking about buying a Fridge/Freezer for a long while, And I'm Over sea's at the moment But, I have always wanted the Engel MT45 But Also the ARB 47ltr has been thrown in the mix Too, I am also thinking about the 60 Ltr models, But there is Only me Going Bush for A week or two at a time So what size do I need, Baring in Mind I have 2 of them thermo/electric coolers which work well, And I have over 300 watts in solar panels 1x600 watt inverter and 1X1000watt (surge 2500watt) inverter,
I have always Classed the Engels over the National Luna (its An Aussie Thing).
Now the Engels are made of Steel and the ARB's Are Made of Plastic, Steel will Dent and Rust and Lord Knows what Plastic will Get Up too, When I was Driving Trucks in QLD back in the 80s/90s all we had were the Engels and I have seen that people have had their Engels for over 30 years,

Any of you Views would be Most Welcome.

Thanks,, John

Hi John I had a large Engel worked well a good fridge but I found it to heavy .Some friends have a fridge that was made in QLD or NSW they are white and I think fibre glass very effective and seem to be a good unit they have used them for many years regards john :)

Engel are a proven performer last for years with no problems , mate of mine (builder so gets used everyday) has had the same one in the back of his ute for 20+ years still hasn't missed a beat.

old hand said:
Hi John I had a large Engel worked well a good fridge but I found it to heavy .Some friends have a fridge that was made in QLD or NSW they are white and I think fibre glass very effective and seem to be a good unit they have used them for many years regards john :)

G'day John, I have heard a little about them but I don't know their Name, The Reason have made do with the 2 elec/coolers is because I have found the dealers have mixed views, IE I phoned up to buy and Engel and then was steered towards the ARB "BUT" their main Goal was to try and sell me A WAECO, which was not going to happen purely as I wanted Aussie Made Products,

The Engel does have a bit of weight to it doesn't it, But what ever I get I want one that is robust yet won't look trashed in a year or two, I take it easy on my things and take good care of them, I like the Engels control Panel, But I like the Accuracy of the ARB's Control Panel But will those plastic push Buttons crack and Die after A few seasons in the Sun etc, Who Knows??.

AS for which one has the best Reliable Motor System, I haven't A Clue??

thanks Mate ,, John

Hiluxlou said:
Engel are a proven performer last for years with no problems , mate of mine (builder so gets used everyday) has had the same one in the back of his ute for 20+ years still hasn't missed a beat.

See that's what Sways me Towards Engel,

evacool.com

Are the fibreglass manufacturing company, they seem to be gaining popularity due to their light weight and are well priced. I think BCF now stock them.

I haven't used the fridge but a block of ice in a 110 litre esky lasted me 5 days in FNQ, so their insulation capabilities are excellent so I think with the addition of a cooling unit it would be excellent.

I've got a 40 ltr Waeco, an 80 litre Waeco and an 80 litre Engle. A mate has an evacool.
We had them all side by side on a trip away. The evacool was crap, it was turned up to freezer just to act as a fridge, it just couldn't keep up.
My mate kept harping on that they were better because the compressor was on the outside so the fridge compartment would be cooler.... Its just a glorified esky to me....
The Engle is noisy, but works well, the control knob, numbered 1-5 is a joke, 1 to 5 what??? It runs as all fridge or all freezer, 1.5 on the knob keeps beers at the right temp....
The 40 litre Waeco hasn't missed a beat. Although just recently the 240v section of the power supply died. No biggy as it still runs fine on 12v.
The 80 ltr the plastic lid warps slightly and the hinges/latches break. Good thing about it though is that it is fridge AND freezer.

I have an Engel, it turned 21 yrs old this year. It has had an insulating cover on it the whole time. For most of it's life it got put in the back of the wagon when needed.
At home it was used as a beer fridge in Summer and as a freezer for bulk soup in the winter.

It is now fixed on a slide in the back of the 4x4 and goes where I go. I look after my kit, this fridge has no dents, no rust and is as good as the day I bought it.

The Sawafuji swing motor is so quiet that to hear it you have to put your ear on it.

For my money it craps all over the plastic jobbies. It doesn't matter re weight, empty, most are manageable, but lifting them when full of food and drinks is not advisable unless there's 2 of you.

Also unlike the Waeco, the Engel comes with a slide covered connector for both 240VAC and 12VDC, an inbuilt inverter and a cable for each. You don't need separate power supplies or inverters.

So 3 choices, Engel, Engel or Engel....perhaps I'm biased, lol.

Had a 50 L Waeco ran fine but wouldn't trust it in the heat out side' sold it with the camper.

Currently have a 40L Engel uses less battery, more efficient would leave it in the sun on the back of the ute if need be'very happy with the Engel but not really worth the extra $ over the Waeco especially if the Waeco will be inside the car.

condor22 said:
I have an Engel, it turned 21 yrs old this year. It has had an insulating cover on it the whole time. For most of it's life it got put in the back of the wagon when needed.
At home it was used as a beer fridge in Summer and as a freezer for bulk soup in the winter.

It is now fixed on a slide in the back of the 4x4 and goes where I go. I look after my kit, this fridge has no dents, no rust and is as good as the day I bought it.

The Sawafuji swing motor is so quiet that to hear it you have to put your ear on it.

For my money it craps all over the plastic jobbies. It doesn't matter re weight, empty, most are manageable, but lifting them when full of food and drinks is not advisable unless there's 2 of you.

Also unlike the Waeco, the Engel comes with a slide covered connector for both 240VAC and 12VDC, an inbuilt inverter and a cable for each. You don't need separate power supplies or inverters.

So 3 choices, Engel, Engel or Engel....perhaps I'm biased, lol.

How big is it, Did you go for the MT45 or the 60ltr model??

And does it carry enough food for all of you???

john

John you are going to get many views good and bad on all fridges the dealer push you towards the one they make the most $ out of most of the time. The Engel sounds to be the fridge you like I have a Engel myself and are very happy with it regards john :)

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Had a 50 L Waeco ran fine but wouldn't trust it in the heat out side' sold it with the camper.

Currently have a 40L Engel uses less battery, more efficient would leave it in the sun on the back of the ute if need be'very happy with the Engel but not really worth the extra $ over the Waeco especially if the Waeco will be inside the car.

Yeah Zuke that's why I'm Leaning more towards the Engel, The ARB is good but I am not sure about the Key Pad.

If I got back to camp and it was in the sun I'd leave it there.
After having both what would I buy again ? Engel. But' if your on a budget and will only use it a few times a year the Waeco is 2nd best. But over the years Iv also had good results with the frosty type ice boxes but I hate! Absolutely hate water logged meat.

old hand said:
John you are going to get many views good and bad on all fridges the dealer push you towards the one they make the most $ out of most of the time. The Engel sounds to be the fridge you like I have a Engel myself and are very happy with it regards john :)

Thanks John, I will phone them next week and see what deal I can get, I think the MT45 is big enough for me and I have the coolers for back up and to keep Dairy products in, One is 39ltr and the other is 32ltr, so that should keep things under control although they are not too great when it gets real hot in the +40s.

thanks again,, John

Zuke_Lynzy said:
After having both what would I buy again ? Engel. But' if your on a budget and will only use it a few times a year the Waeco is 2nd best. But over the years Iv also had good results with the frosty type ice boxes but I hate! Absolutely hate water logged meat.

Well I'm not loaded, But I will only buy the Best when it comes down to important things, I hate buying stuff because of cost, Same as detectors I buy what works in my environment, Plus if you get it right first time you don't start having regrets afterwards, Aye

John

I use emty wine cask bladders frozen to shape in my freezer in my eskys..no waterlogged food and some handy cold water for drinking/cooking.... :)
Zuke_Lynzy said:

Cant beat the Engels mate, they have the best compressors, run at less AMPs then the rest and are heavy duty, I hooked mine up to a solar panel on the Navara roof running through a cheap charge controller and a 75amp deep cycle battery, happy days its never lets me down keeps the bevies at 2 degrees no matter how hot it gets, so my vote would be Engel all the way.
Cheers Ryan

Ryan1981 said:
Cant beat the Engels mate, they have the best compressors, run at less AMPs then the rest and are heavy duty, I hooked mine up to a solar panel on the Navara roof running through a cheap charge controller and a 75amp deep cycle battery, happy days its never lets me down keeps the bevies at 2 degrees no matter how hot it gets, so my vote would be Engel all the way.
Cheers Ryan

That's Good Ryan, I was going to use 2 or 3 X 180 ah, Two for Camper/Caravan use and the other for the fridge and charging Detector batteries Etc, That way I can split my solar panels, and I thought about getting a small wind turbine for those long stays out in the bush.

Latest posts