Whites detectors compared to others.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ProspectorPete said:
Hi guys, I've been laying low for a while due to a busy time at work/home lately and haven't been prospecting or even visited the forum much of late but have just read this thread with interest regarding bigger coils on the Whites detectors.
I bought my SL new locally from an ex member to the forum and he did the hiccup mod before I bought it, I also bought a brand new Jimmy Sierra Grande 20" coil (black) from the same person who happened to had 2 of them as a custom order re-badged as Minor John.

Anyway, I tried it out before I bought the coil in very hot ground in the Maryborough area on a stormy day and apart from the coil over balancing the detector it ran very well with the pulse delay on 20 and HIGH conductivity the only issue I had was it would "scream" when I swung from left to right at the end of the swing, I soon realised I had my keys in my right pocket and this was setting off the coil.
We also air tested with a 2oz lead sinker I had in the back of my ute, sinker placed on the hot ground we managed to get a solid signal at about 3 foot.
I'm pretty confident this coil on my SL with the right settings will pick up a decent nugget at depth of 2ft no problems which is why I chose to buy it, I have since bought an extra extended leg to get the coil away from my feet and a harness, bungy, control arm to better balanced the set up when I choose to go nugget hunting in the right conditions.
Although the coil may only get used once every 1-2 years or 5% of my detecting time it gives me options which is something I like to have.

Anyway, that's my take on the large coils for the Whites detector, although I've only used it once it seems to work on this machine and can't wait for the opportunity to get back out and spend some serious time with it hunting for bigger nuggets. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3820/1441785093_dsc07222.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3820/1441785093_dsc07223.jpg

Strike A Light,, That ain't big enough is it Pete ?? I am going to have to get me one of those or the 14" MJ Mono, or both

Now that is a serious coil, I got a 15" concentric which is a VLFs version of a Mono and it can see those small 330ml coke cans at 3 to 4 feet, Heaven knows what that one of yours will do,

I remember when you first got your MXT, Now you have Turned in to a Cyborg, there's just no stopping you now,, lol

Thanks for posting it Pete,

John

PS How about a Name Change?? Terminator Pete :D :D :D He'll Be back, lol

Haha thanks John, I haven't even had time for the MXT in the parks lately but I've got the gear ready to go when the opportunity comes up at least, it's hard to just buy 1 detector to suit all situations and be content with it, for me, although it's just a part time hobby I knew I was limiting my opportunities for reward in the gold fields with just the MXT so now having both detectors and various coils I can try to maximise my rewards for limited opportunity when I do get out, and that's worth it in my book.

ProspectorPete said:
Haha thanks John, I haven't even had time for the MXT in the parks lately but I've got the gear ready to go when the opportunity comes up at least, it's hard to just buy 1 detector to suit all situations and be content with it, for me, although it's just a part time hobby I knew I was limiting my opportunities for reward in the gold fields with just the MXT so now having both detectors and various coils I can try to maximise my rewards for limited opportunity when I do get out, and that's worth it in my book.

I know what you mean Pete, I have bought 3 in the past couple of months, and I got one turning up today, arrrrh it's only money Aye,

having the Gear to be flexible is half the battle, just don't tell your Mrs that it was my fault,, I can't run like I use to, :eek: :eek:

john

Reg said:
First, I need to mention a couple of things with one being a folded mono should get a little more depth than a plain mono of the same size. Why? Well, the answer lies in the fact the folded mono is a larger coil folded into a smaller coil. Thus, the extra field should enhance what is there. Because of its physical design, a folded mono is limited in size. A dual field can be made bigger.

Reg

Thanks for that info Reg, I was told the folded mono's got slightly less depth but hearing they get more depth is great, that makes the coil even better than I thought, now we just have to hurry up & get our hands on it & give the SPP a work out.

While on the subject of coils, how would the new Coiltek 14" elite camo mono go on the SPP, it seems to do pretty well on all the Minelabs, older ones as well & I guess it would work alright on the TDI but would the SPP have enough power to make it work properly with good results.
I tried a NF 14x9 not long ago & had major problems but after talking to a fella & telling him what was going on, it seems like the coil was just about stuffed so probably would have worked well if it was in good condition.

ozziii said:
While on the subject of coils, how would the new Coiltek 14" elite camo mono go on the SPP, it seems to do pretty well on all the Minelabs, older ones as well & I guess it would work alright on the TDI but would the SPP have enough power to make it work properly with good results.
I tried a NF 14x9 not long ago & had major problems but after talking to a fella & telling him what was going on, it seems like the coil was just about stuffed so probably would have worked well if it was in good condition.

The Coiltek coils are brilliant but they are more suited for minelab machines, you should really be get the MJ 14" mono as they are tuned to run at 10us on the SPP, TDI and the TDI SL and the TDI Pro,

Coiltek, minelab and NF coils will work on the TDI Series but MJ coils are the best coils for Whites machines.

john

Yeah I had read the Coilteks & NF's were made specifically for the Minelabs but was just interested to know if the SPP would run it properly as I was thinking about trying out the shop loan coil for a few hours.
How would the MJ 14" compare to the 14" elite camo if they were both used on there intended machines in hot ground, would the MJ 14 on a TDI Pro Oz work as well as the elite camo does on say, a GPX 4500 in regards to sensitivity on small gold & depth.

Part of the reason I ask a few questions is partly for my own benefit & learning, but also because not long ago I made a facebook group for Whites gold/metal detectors so people could share info & help each other, so the more I learn the more it helps me help others.
I'm like a sponge,lol, I love to learn.

ozziii said:
Yeah I had read the Coilteks & NF's were made specifically for the Minelabs but was just interested to know if the SPP would run it properly as I was thinking about trying out the shop loan coil for a few hours.
How would the MJ 14" compare to the 14" elite camo if they were both used on there intended machines in hot ground, would the MJ 14 on a TDI Pro Oz work as well as the elite camo does on say, a GPX 4500 in regards to sensitivity on small gold & depth.

Part of the reason I ask a few questions is partly for my own benefit & learning, but also because not long ago I made a facebook group for Whites gold/metal detectors so people could share info & help each other, so the more I learn the more it helps me help others.

Well as for Coiltek, where does one Start, put it this way I saw their coils transform my Sovereign GT, and their new coil is a beast on A 4500/5000 and some of the minelab owners can vouch for that 14" coil on their machines,

BUT ?? fitting a coil meant for a minelab means you will have to add an extra Rubber washer to fill out the Gap due to the difference sizes of the lower shafts, you can Add an Excaliber lower shaft or use extra washers, where as the MJ coils are the right fitment for all whites machines,

Coiltek use to make the Coils for minelab before they started making them in house, and the only thing that would bother me about buying an older Coiltek Coil is there is a Risk that it might not be one of the waterproof models, because back 5 or 10 years ago they did not make ALL of their Coils Waterproof IE the 5x10 Little Joey so you need to be aware of that when you order any of them so always Ring up and Ask CoilTek if such and such is waterproof,,
To be honest Coiltek are Great Coils and that is reflected in their price, and If I owned a GP/GPX then I would not look any further, Classy Stuff,
But Now we have an option so with Whites I would not Go Past MJ's, Ok.

john

ozziii - grab the shop loan coil & give it a test run. That's the best way to find out - compare it to a coil you know runs well in a given area.
There's been a few people ask but haven't seen a reply on running on TDI/SPP yet. I have also asked about using them on SD/GP Minelabs but no solid feedback yet, only that they "should" be ok?

Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:

BUT ?? fitting a coil meant for a minelab means you will have to add an extra Rubber washer to fill out the Gap due to the difference sizes of the lower shafts, you can Add an Excaliber lower shaft or use extra washers, where as the MJ coils are the right fitment for all whites machines,

Coiltek use to make the Coils for minelab before they started making them in house, and the only thing that would bother me about buying an older Coiltek Coil is there is a Risk that it might not be one of the waterproof models, because back 5 or 10 years ago they did not make ALL of their Coils Waterproof IE the 5x10 Little Joey so you need to be aware of that when you order any of them so always Ring up and Ask CoilTek if such and such is waterproof,,
To be honest Coiltek are Great Coils and that is reflected in their price, and If I owned a GP/GPX then I would not look any further, Classy Stuff,

john

Yeah when I tried the NF 14x9 I had to get a plastic nut & bolt to suit & a couple of rubber bathroom washers, made it fit well but the coil had problems so didn't work the best, any slight knock on some wood or rocks would cause noises & if the lead was even slightly touched it would make the detector scream, old worn out coil from what I was told.

After you telling me about the MJ & RB coils Ridge Runner, that's the way we will be going, but I was just interested to know about the 14" elite on the Whites detectors & how the MJ 14" stacked up against the elite on their intended detectors, would be nice if both NF & Coiltek would expand their range to include coils for other machines as well, but if the MJ & RB coils perform as well on the Whites as the NF & CT coils perform on the minelabs then I guess there is no real need for them.

mbasko said:
ozziii - grab the shop loan coil & give it a test run. That's the best way to find out - compare it to a coil you know runs well in a given area.
There's been a few people ask but haven't seen a reply on running on TDI/SPP yet. I have also asked about using them on SD/GP Minelabs but no solid feedback yet, only that they "should" be ok?

Yeah I might give it a go when I get a chance, will wait until we get the Razorback coil first though so that will give us something decent to test it out against.
There's a few people around my area running the 14" elite on 4500-5000's & from what I've seen & read, they are great coils & finding a lot of gold others have missed. Even finding very small sub grammers that they have missed with other coils & detectors.
I don't want to buy an elite coil but would just like to try it out once I have tried an area with a razorback coil.

I was looking at a spp but was told that il out grow it in a month n then il be whinging for an upgrade to a minelab sdc 3200 as il see other ppl goin over the same area n takn gold i should have got !! I wanted an spp due to being beginner,ease of use & multiple coil range
Is the spp really worth it if i will be wanting to upgrade so soon as mentioned ?
Any input would be appreciated

The SPP with the right coil will still do a good job & will find small gold like the SDC, was it a Minelab user that told you that,lol.
Yes its a more basic & easy to use detector but it still does a good job & if not wanting to spend a large amount then its a good choice.
I don't think you would want to upgrade after a month but if you do want something better then the TDI SL like mentioned above might be a better choice, like the SPP, put a Minor Johns or Razorback coil on it & you will have a good machine.
Both would do a similar job to the SDC, when used with the right coil although the SL would be the better choice over the SPP if you want to spend more as it has a few more functions.

mbasko said:
I can only report what I found mate, certainly not high caliber detectorist but I'll give you my thoughts.
I tested mine in mongrel ground on the gp3000. From the get go it was noisy (but the gps just seemed to love the dd coils anyway). I could hear the planes alot earlier too.
Much noisier than the 15x12 I used but punched deeper and the target signals were significantly brighter. That's two coils brand new side by side testing.
Shallower it detected a lot smaller targets, subgram stuff kind of blew me away.
It went deeper pulled a 22 shot flattened a good 6 inches deeper off a gully I had trawled over repeatedly with the 15x12. That same gully has seen many grams and gpx machines. I was impressed, again blew me away definite clear signal. I could only imagine what running it through a booster would do.
Didn't find any deep retirement nuggets so there is that :lol: ;)

Thanks Goldtarget - that's pretty much what I thought re: noise but was hopeful that the new winding/wire might have made the old girls run a bit quieter/stabler than with other monos. The sensitivity & depth sounds good though.

ozziii said:
The SPP with the right coil will still do a good job & will find small gold like the SDC
Did a Whites user or dealer tell you that? :lol:
YIPPEKAIAY
Both machines have positives & negatives. My personal opinion is you'd have more success especially in a shorter timeframe with the SDC & nothing I've seen has convinced me that the SPP is in the same league sensitivity wise. The SPP would be a great PI machine to get started on for a budget + give you the option of trying other coils where the SDC doesn't though. From the finds that do get shown it is capable enough & seems to be sensitive enough too especially for the price.
I find it surprising that someone would say you would outgrow the SPP & want to "upgrade" to the SDC though. In that respect you could outgrow either of them & an "upgrade" to me would be TDI OZ Pro, GP/GPX, GPZ or so forth.
If buying new I would bypass the TDI SL & just spend a little bit more on the TDI OZ Pro if set on a Whites but then if your getting up into that sort of money then the re-released GPX4500 comes under consideration.
I haven't "outgrown" my SDC in a bit over 12 months & would go as far to say that regardless of what other detectors I owned moving forward that a SDC2300 or it's next model/s will always be in my collection/kit. There are more than likely SPP users that would feel the same way about it too?

Yeah, if I was buying new I wouldn't buy the SL but go to the Oz Pro also. Anyway, it's all just horses for courses and what you feel comfortable with. Irrespective of all the blather, you've got to 'like' the machine(s) you work with; doesn't matter which brand.

ozziii said:
Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:

john

Yeah when I tried the NF 14x9 I had to get a plastic nut & bolt to suit & a couple of rubber bathroom washers, made it fit well but the coil had problems so didn't work the best, any slight knock on some wood or rocks would cause noises & if the lead was even slightly touched it would make the detector scream, old worn out coil from what I was told.

After you telling me about the MJ & RB coils Ridge Runner, that's the way we will be going, but I was just interested to know about the 14" elite on the Whites detectors & how the MJ 14" stacked up against the elite on their intended detectors, would be nice if both NF & Coiltek would expand their range to include coils for other machines as well, but if the MJ & RB coils perform as well on the Whites as the NF & CT coils perform on the minelabs then I guess there is no real need for them.

I know MJ/RB are the best for Whites Machine, But as far as Coiltek go I think they are one the Top 3 Companies of the Detecting world, whether it be Coils, Machines or Accessories, and what they don't know about their Craft isn't worth mentioning,
And they Chew the A$$ off of Coils like SEF/Detech and In A Huge way, I know because I spent $000s doing field tests with them and 10 years back they were just as good back then as they are now, Yes they cost a bit more but the Quality is a work of Art, some other Coils might be better in some ways but in others they are not, but when you buy a Coiltek Coil you are getting a Quality Product, and If you Own A Minelab then a Coiltek Coil should be your weapon of Choice.

John

YIPPEKAIAY said:
I was looking at a spp but was told that il out grow it in a month n then il be whinging for an upgrade to a minelab sdc 3200 as il see other ppl goin over the same area n takn gold i should have got !! I wanted an spp due to being beginner,ease of use & multiple coil range
Is the spp really worth it if i will be wanting to upgrade so soon as mentioned ?
Any input would be appreciated

The SPP is a great little machine and a PI that can deal with the Ground and find Gold and due to the Coil sizes that it can use it will find Gold Deeper than the SDC

Where as the SDC can Surgically remove about 90% of small gold, being told that in a month you would be whinging for an SDC is a stupid comment to make by the person who told you that, They are two Totally different Tools and their jobs are unrelated, The SDC is a Clean up tool and The SPP is a general purpose PI prospecting machine, just like the other SD's, GPs TDIs, and If you don't go prospect more than a few weekends a year there is no point in buying such a machine, the guys here who do go out there will tell you how tough it is to find gold and they spend weeks on end out there and still get skunked, The knowledge these guys have is far more important than the machine,

Yes it's nice to be able to say you own an SDC or a TDI Pro or a GPX 5000, but in all honesty is it worth the out lay when a person is just learning ?? I don't think so, There Is one member here who went pulling Gold with an MXT in some of the worst conditions I have ever seen, The machine did struggle but it did it just the same yet others have bought a 5k and got nothing, thing is you can find gold with any of these machines and it is Info and knowledge that finds the Gold or puts you in the area,

john

Latest posts