Night park detecting with the Ace 250

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
harlem said:
I have followed all of your posts Goldpick and love seeing your updates. As a recent new owner of an Ace 250 and a total beginner, I have been inspired by your hunt results. I'm wondering if you might share with a novice exactly how you set your Ace up for parks/ovals.

I've had good success in the last month at my local playgrounds (found over $120 detecting early mornings) but as yet, I haven't been able to dig a single good target in the grassed areas of ovals and parks themselves. The Ace goes off every swing with a riot of noise and whenever I dig I worry that the hole will get too big so I give up and move another few feet. I am working mostly in all metal with the first 2 notched out which is going well on the tan bark in the playgrounds but I can't for the life of me seem to figure how you are getting results in the dirt.

Any info you (or any other more seasoned users) can share would be gratefully taken on board as I am running out of playgrounds but still hooked on the hobby (to the point of one written warning about my new love affair from the other half). I have a garrett digger and also pointer so I don't think its my pin-pointing errors but I may be wrong.

Cheers and thanks for all the posts so far

Thanks for the compliment Harlem, biggest problem with the Ace 250 is the slow recovery speed after passing over a multitude of tartets, and the fact that it still reads junk targets even when discriminating, it just mutes the various notched out junk targets. It can get hung up trying to process too many targets at once, most of which seem to be small or deep junk targets, think foil/bottle & can pull tabs, and iron targets. Get 3 or 4 junk target under the coil in one hit, and you'll either get a muted response or a multitude of signals, depending on how close together they are. These are especially prevalent in park grassed areas, and oval perimeters where there has been a lot of traffic and subequent depositing of layers of junk over the years.

It is best to keep it simple with the Ace in these areas, and run in all-metal with first two iron segments notched out (as you have), or even leave the iron in, as it makes the Ace run a lot smoother with regards to audio response. The next issue is seperating out those targets, to do this, if you get multiple targets, use the pinpoint button to run in true all metal, and scan over the same area. You should be able to hear the seperate signals from each target, then go back to normal discrimination mode and do very short swings over the isolated targets to see if you can identifiy them. Also when in pinpoint, you can tell by the repsonse on how big or what he target is. Very small and sharp target are likely to be small bits of foil, broader targets can be iron, bottle caps, bottle ring pulls etc, whilst coins and buttons tend to have a distinct, but smoother more rounded response than foil or pull tabs. Bottle caps can be the worse, as they have the shape and response of a lot of coins, so sometimes it is inevetiable you will dig lots of them.

A coin target is usually only a few cms a across, less if lying on its side. If the target is broad in pinpoint mode, say 20-30cms, I'd leave it in the ground, especially if you have already dug a plug down to 5-6 inches, it is most likely a large piece of aluminium, foil or iron (don't you love buried cans). The reason why I dug the belt buckle, was that it was a high conductivity target falling in the coin range, and it was a distinct, not broad target.

Slow your swing speeds down, this will allow the detector to have more of a chance to process signals properly.

To make things easier with the Ace, the use of the stock coil, larger concentric coil, and the large DD coil are a pain to use in junky areas, you really need a coil with a smaller footprint to seperate out targets and gives the chance for the Ace to process each separate target properly. This is where the Sniper coil comes into play, you can run this small coil at near full sensitivity for scanning parks and grassed aress, and it get pretty good depth for such a small coil. It is also great for tot lots, you can turn the sensitivity way down, and get hard up against play equipment to fi d those goldies that everyone misses. It is also great for working along fence lines and concrete pathways and edging that has steel mesh reinforcement, I recently found that silver bracelet with the sniper, my other coils would have missed it, and simply overloaded from the steel in the pathway.

The stock concentric coil on the Ace, plus the larger coils are fine for large open areas with low junk to area ratio, but anything beyond that, I'd leave them home. The same goes for s lot of detectors fitted with concentric coils as standard, they really are a compromise, get multiple targets under the coil of a multi-tone detector, and it will drive you nuts, I much prefer the separation on DD coils. The large concentric coil hasn't really impressed me, I reckon the large DD coil actually achieves better depth, seperation, and repsonse in mineralised ground.

Another coil thay might be a good compromise is the small DD coil, it is larger enough to scan a decent area, but small enough to not get too many targets under the coil at the one time. I am a big fan of the DD coils, I have the large DD, and since the signal area of the coil acts like a blade running over the ground vs a large cone shape on the concentric coil, it is can be easier to pick out targets with. I also find them easier to pinpoint with, and the large DD is very light vs the largest concentric coil.

Parks can be a bit daunting on knowing where to detect, start with know areas of current activity, pathways, under trees, around playground equipment etc, and work you way out from there, this gives you a start point to go from, before wandering out into the void. Digging big holes with the sniper or DD coils is not necessary, as they pinpoint accurately. If you dig a massive hole chasing a target with the Ace, then it is likely you will find a large junk target. The Ace is limited to around 3 to 8 inches in depth to accurately discriminate and indentify targets, depending on target size, ground mineralisation, and coil used. Lots of iron in the ground can mask out good targets underneath, so that can limit its performance. Using the Ace pinpoint button to run in true all metal can give you the best depth and seperation on targets, but is not intended to be used that way. If you have the pin point mode on too long, the threshold will continually rise, requiring a release of the button to rest the threshold.

Some parks are simlly trash havens, and are simply better to be avoided. I have a park near me that is confined to a very small area, but is very well frequented, sounds good for coins, but even more so for the amount of junk buried there. After a few hunts there, I am sure the grass is held together with millions of tiny pieces of foil, it is simly the worse place I have ever detected, so best avoided.

Just remember the Ace is only a $375 detector, so work within its limitations and with the correct coil for the site detected, and you should have success. Another thing to do is to bury various coins and junk targets at home, and get a better understanding of what response they give off in discriminate mode, and especially in pinpoint mode, this should give you more confidence in knowing what to listen for. As a hint, I never use the screen info, as accuracy is up the creek several inches down, I go purely by the sounds. :)

Why do I use the Ace and not a more serious detector? It is not my detector of choice, it was bought for the missus as a second vlf detector to follow me around to get some fresh air and exercise, whilst having the opportunity to find something.

Due to my financial situation, I had to let some detectors go, and in hindsight, probably should not have gotten rid of the Tesoro Vaquero. Especially considering it really excels at what it was made for, deep coin and relic detecting.

So at the end of the day, I make do with the Ace and try to learn us much as I can to get the best out of the detector, until an opportunity comes along where I can afford something better. Although the Ace will probably stay in the arsenal as a backup coin machine to carry in the car. :)

I owned the Vaquero and sold it because i did not do
Enough research on the unit and after testing it i realised
Its a beep and dig machine.

Its awesome for relic hunting or if you want to dig everything.
Digging everything ensures you don't miss on much.

Love your finds goldpick. You amaze me with your dedication.

Gold coin, I wish, one day maybe! :lol: Yes, metal detecting is my main hobby at the moment, and I think you must have some sort of dedication to get the most out of your machine, and learn what it is saying. I must say it is all consuming at times, not knowing what's going to come out of the ground next, where the next hunt site is, the mix of disappointment on some sites and elation at the same time on others. Don't think I've ever had a hobby where I have walked so much, and appreciated our Australian and local history, it's a real eye opener. :)

Wolfau said:
Goldpick have you ever found a gold coin?

That would be so cool to find.

Hey Wolf - I have had a look through the forum and can't find any threads from you showing any of your finds? What are you hunting for/ where do you detect?

Great advice and description of the Ace - you certainly find quite a bit with it - love the boys badge! :cool:

Love the hobby goldpick its awesome.

Love camping and the outdoors as well so it all mixes well
Together.

Going to save up for a camper trailer then i will stay
In different areas for 3 or 4 days.

In one area theres a ghost town 25 min away by car from
the caravan Park and the goldfields Are only 10min away.

I pulled out an old threepence and button from the ghost
Town about 20 years ago. I think the G2 will excel for buttons
In high trash areas. Its really good at that.

The cz3d has a different task looking for older buried coins
Where the machine is dead quiet slowly scanning the ground
Then bingo the machine crackles over a deep buried target.

At one point there were thousands that lived there at the ghost
Town. Keep an eye out on gumtree for some bargains.

I have a saying. It doesn't matter how much you earn but
What you do with it :)

Keep the posts coming love reading them.

Paulmarr said:
Wolfau said:
Goldpick have you ever found a gold coin?

That would be so cool to find.

Hey Wolf - I have had a look through the forum and can't find any threads from you showing any of your finds? What are you hunting for/ where do you detect?

Great advice and description of the Ace - you certainly find quite a bit with it - love the boys badge! :cool:

This year has been dedicated in learning the
Gp3500. Its hard when your on your own cos
You have no one to ask questions to.

Also getting my head around a few different coil
Setups.

Now and then i hit a few regular parks wait
Till they fill up again and i do it all over again.

Own a few different machines for different tasks though.

Most expensive find was a mens gold ring found with the
tesoro compadre at a park. Most tesoro models are gold
Magnets.

The ol compadre seem to be highly underrated detector for such a minimal outlay, some say it was over engineered by tesoro, so much so that it started eating into sales of their other detectors. Sure it doesn't have vdi's, multitones etc, and fixed coil, but don't think I've read so many glowing reviews out of nearly every detector on the market.

Tried to clean up the Boys Brigade buckle as much as I could, tried electrolysis, the freezer method, fine steel wool, but still has some crud left on it, guess it gives it a bit of character. :)

1400929913_img_20140524_204251.jpg

One thing I found last night was the Ace 250 absolutely hates the Minelab Pro-find, it spontaneously goes off, even when a metre or so away from it - had to take my headphones off everytime I dug a target it was that annoying. That was with the large 9x12" concentric coil, pretty sure the DD coil didn't go bananas like that. Don't usually notice it as I use the Nokta pinpointer most times, but the profind has come good lately after several sessions of not cooperating - strange. :/

Hey Wolfau, the cz3d sounds like a detector that I would like, seen few you tube clips of it in operation, looks quite impressive, even though it has a needle display for older analogue people like me, it seems to do the job, and probably saves power not having to run a display. :)

Goldpick i am fan of Tesoro detectors.

All the gold i have ever found (nuggets and
Gold ring) were with a tesoro.

I would love for Tesoro to build a gold pi detector
Because i know they will build it right.

Very short drive tonight for a detect, went to the oval down from my house which has a fair bit of history dating back to the 1800's, plus a war memorial for the area. Coins were few and far between, couple of brown buggers and 2x20c, plus a 1909 CAC .303 shell, and finally my first rising sun badge. I don't actually detect the oval surfacem (too good to dig), most finds were from the perimeter or on the nearby creek banks.

I found it very hard to find any information on this badge, but eventually come across a page displaying "Sweetheart" Jewllery. These were unofficial rising sun badges worn by wives or girlfriends, and were a symbol of pride, support and affection for loved ones serving in the armed forces. They were either purchased by the women, or given to them by their partners. This one dates back to WW2, and is brass with red and blue glass enamel on the motifs.

1400956133_img_20140525_032922.jpg

My rising sun badge
1400956160_img_20140525_032946.jpg

Original picture of the same badge
1400956213_rsb-sweetheart.jpeg

1400956190_img_20140525_033008.jpg

Sometimes new batteries in the machine can cause that until they settle down, or big nasty electric fields nearby with 3 phase power cables mixed in with normal ones(only when someone is ripping into the power through them though).
Goldpick said:
The ol compadre seem to be highly underrated detector for such a minimal outlay, some say it was over engineered by tesoro, so much so that it started eating into sales of their other detectors. Sure it doesn't have vdi's, multitones etc, and fixed coil, but don't think I've read so many glowing reviews out of nearly every detector on the market.

Tried to clean up the Boys Brigade buckle as much as I could, tried electrolysis, the freezer method, fine steel wool, but still has some crud left on it, guess it gives it a bit of character. :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1400929913_img_20140524_204251.jpg

One thing I found last night was the Ace 250 absolutely hates the Minelab Pro-find, it spontaneously goes off, even when a metre or so away from it - had to take my headphones off everytime I dug a target it was that annoying. That was with the large 9x12" concentric coil, pretty sure the DD coil didn't go bananas like that. Don't usually notice it as I use the Nokta pinpointer most times, but the profind has come good lately after several sessions of not cooperating - strange. :/

Hey Wolfau, the cz3d sounds like a detector that I would like, seen few you tube clips of it in operation, looks quite impressive, even though it has a needle display for older analogue people like me, it seems to do the job, and probably saves power not having to run a display. :)

Sometimes new batteries in the machine can cause that until they settle down, or big nasty electric fields nearby with 3 phase power cables mixed in with them normal ones(only when someone is ripping into the power through them though.
Goldpick said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1400929913_img_20140524_204251.jpg

Thanks for the effort you put into your reply Goldpick. I can see instantly how my speed in the junk areas is hurting me, mainly brought on by frustration at the bombarding signals. I cant wait to head out tonight and try the pin-point method in these areas, such a simple but logical suggestion, thanks for sharing.

If i was to buy 1 extra coil (budget's tighter than I'd like), would you suggest the Sniper is the one? I can see one for $90 online which I could hide from the wife if played carefully!

Cheers again, I actually chose the Ace 250 as my first detector after following your hunts here.

One awesome machine as well if you can find one is the
Garret gtp1350 which runs deep.

In my opinion Garrett where ahead of their time when they
Released the gtp and gti series in 90's.

Awesome machines. The only thing compared with todays
Machines could be the weight if your comparing.

Went out today for 3 hours gold prospecing with no results.

I was with 2 other guys and we spent a combined total of
10 hours in one Area with a modified 3500, 4800 and 5000
With no gold finds. The area is known for larger nuggets.

Very frustrating. Have spent about 10 hours In total Gold
prospecting.

Some areas in vic have been hammered But the gold is
there once you get to an area that has not been prospected
A lot. Its a mission to drive 90 plus minutes Spend 3 or so
hours then head back.

Need to do a few hours coin Detecting which is enjoyable.

That's pretty much the reason why I swapped from gold detecting back to coin/relics, lots of frustration looking for gold in hammered areas, and you need to be hitting all the time to have the best chance. I don't mind not finding much, don't need 30 coins to keep me happy, just a few items to keep me interested. But finding no gold on a consistent basis is not a hell of a lot of fun, particularly if you have invested a lot of cash on gear.

Cleaned up on coins tonight, 23 in total, seems there has been a bit of depositing lately, which is always good to see! One skate board ramp surrounds was quite lucrative, probably could have found more, but the rain set in unfortunately. Also dug up a Geco .38 special metal piercing round at the ramp, police station was nearby, but doubt if they were picking off skate boarders. :D

1401045311_img_20140526_044139.jpg

Goldpick said:
That's pretty much the reason why I swapped from gold detecting back to coin/relics, lots of frustration looking for gold in hammered areas, and you need to be hitting all the time to have the best chance. I don't mind not finding much, don't need 30 coins to keep me happy, just a few items to keep me interested. But finding no gold on a consistent basis is not a hell of a lot of fun, particularly if you have invested a lot of cash on gear.

Gold is out there.

Had a friend stay in the triangle and has found just under
2ozs in a 5 or 6 week period. The trick though you need
To keep doing it daily. There are no theories where to
Look because i have seen people deep in the bush in
Areas with no diggings along with in popular areas.

The modified 3500 works really well and finds small bits
As well. You just got to walk over it.

I don't mind the drive but it may take a while to investigate
An area that may Become fruitful. Once you have such an
Area to to hit will become fun.

Until then i need to remain positive.

Thanks

The rising sun all cleaned up with soapy water and small paintbrush, I won't take it any further than this, as the coloured enamel may come off with more abrasive cleaning - looks good with the patina on it anyway. :)

1401067923_img_20140526_105513.jpg

Goldpick said:

I reckon we find more gold on the beach than 90% of the guys metal detecting for gold in the bush ... it might not be in nugget form and I concede there is something about going out bush that is enjoyable - the quiet and nature and all - but occasionally we get diamonds mixed in with the gold on the beach - in addition to silver and relics. I don't know how I could get excited by finding sub grammer nuggets once in a blue moon when compared to gold jewelry on a more consistent basis! And I would imagine it is just as difficult to find a "hand of faith" type nugget as it is finding Cleopatra's crown in the sand - I just think if you live near a beach (and 90% of Aussie's do) your chances of finding gold are a little better than the bush! I also would imagine the beach is a wee bit closer travelling wise than the goldfields for most. ;)

Nice clean up of the badge Goldpick - it's a beauty!

Latest posts