Night park detecting with the Ace 250

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Paul, looked like someone else had been their recently too, got a good signal, went to try and reach it with the screwdriver, and ended up re-excavating someone elses plug. Unfortunately they left the junk target there for someone else to find. Good to see there are still some coins out there, despite the less than perfect weather, though good for digging though.

Back to the Infinium at the beach tonight, followed by a bit of park shooting afterwards with the Ace. Only notable finds on the beach were a silver plated earing, 20c coin, a very corroded US Lincoln 1c coin, and lots of small sinkers found at the high tide mark. Looks to have been some very high tides, with large sections of the dunes washed away. Seems like there are a few targets have been washed out of the dunes, as I thought it was a bit strange to find so many sinkers that high on the beach, the Lincoln 1c looks to also have originated from there. :)

1399828789_img_20140512_024303.jpg

1399828812_img_20140512_024324.jpg

Huge difference in the coin count from the parks Goldpick - I realised that as soon as I started doing beaches exclusively. I found that if you are interested in a high modern coin count then the beach is not where you want to detect. I also think other detectorists have shown that you don't get the $67 or $200 haul from the beach.... other than the occasional ring or beat up silver coin - the parks are more attractive to get the coin count.

Good work though - I bet you had a blast!

Yeah, very wet and cold, and sand throughout the car again! The curse of the the bottomless hole with collapsing sides struck several times. :lol:

Tonight I tried hunting out of town, in a small park not too far away from where I live. Coins were painfully slow, and was attacked by 5c fever once again, but a few interesting items popped up, including a wee silver leaf toe ring, kiddies bangle, and two old gun shells - 21 coins all up! Nothing from tot lots other than the $2 & $1 coins.

I did a bit of research on the shells, the shotgun shell was made by UMC & Co in the US, and dates to between 1894 & 1911, whilst the .303 CC MK VI C shell was Australian issue, originating from Footscray, Melbourne between 1904-1906. Don't you love the traceability of these things, gives a good indication of the park's age. :)

1400004275_img_20140514_032551.jpg

1400004301_img_20140514_032620.jpg

Thanks Paul, police spotted me last night, did an about turn to see what I was up to at 1.00am in the morning, saw the detector, waved, and drove on! :)

I think they have bigger fish to fry than bother some guy looking for 5c on the edge of a park. It's pretty obvious what I am doing, with my bright red minelab finds bag on my hip, and lovely day-glo yellow Ace 250! ;)

Whilst I was waiting for the missus to finish here excercise classes in the central parklands tonight, got bored, and pulled out the Ace 250 for a quick detect of the footpath. Picked up $2.20 and a weeny ring, looked to be gold plated, which polished off - 5 minutes detecting 20m of footpath! I wonder what else is lying around the area, thinking how much money has been dropped at the parking ticket machines.:)

1400084590_img_20140515_015238.jpg

Unless you're creating a disturbance, destroying property by not filling holes etc. or are trespassing on private land AND they've received a complaint, the Police will leave you alone.

I rang once to report someone illegally dumping rubbish and waste oil on a creek bank and was told I should call the local Council as it's not a police matter!

Rubbish, illegal dumping is a police matter. Sounds like they couldn't be bothered.
Nice pick up goldpick.

Rubbish, illegal dumping is a police matter. Sounds like they couldn't be bothered.
Nice pick up goldpick.

Short hunt tonight, not very inspiring, but at least a few coins showed up around an oval perimeter. Oldest coin was a 1966 1c, back to using the stock concentric coil for a change. :)

1400440154_img_20140519_022429.jpg

Should of said you thought it was a body(ha).
Lancair said:
Unless you're creating a disturbance, destroying property by not filling holes etc. or are trespassing on private land AND they've received a complaint, the Police will leave you alone.

I rang once to report someone illegally dumping rubbish and waste oil on a creek bank and was told I should call the local Council as it's not a police matter!

Went for a quick swing at a previously unknown reserve and old oval near me, can't believe I didn't know it existed, tucked away behind an old church and school. Did a bit of research, and the area dates back into the mid 1800's, so was hoping to at least find something old to prove me right.

Coins weren't presenting themselves as often as I would have liked ($3.21, plus a silver earing),but got a good signal on a creek bank, and pulled out real nice old four hole button marked "Double Ring Edge". The button is copper alloy and was silver guilded at one stage, further research shows that it may have dated back to the mid 1800's, and was a trouser button. The Victorian museum has one on record, but this one is in much better condition, otherwise there is very little info on this button.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/collec...ton-metal-4-hole-sew-through-double-ring-edge

1400520344_img_20140520_025558.jpg

1400520366_img_20140520_025618.jpg

1400520812_img_20140520_030440.jpg

Got bored tonight, so headed down the the foreshore and noodled about the place to see what I could find (not much going on the actual beaches at the moment). I detected the grassed areas between the road and sandhills with the Ace 250, lots of junk targets, but a few interesting things popped up. Firstly a junk gold bracelet, another US 1992 Lincoln 1c, a 1982 UK 20 pence, and the find of the night was an old Boys Brigade belt buckle clasp. No idea how old the belt buckle is, but it was a fair way down in the soil, sure clean up nicely. :)

1400871333_img_20140524_040118.jpg

1400871356_img_20140524_040141.jpg

I have followed all of your posts Goldpick and love seeing your updates. As a recent new owner of an Ace 250 and a total beginner, I have been inspired by your hunt results. I'm wondering if you might share with a novice exactly how you set your Ace up for parks/ovals.

I've had good success in the last month at my local playgrounds (found over $120 detecting early mornings) but as yet, I haven't been able to dig a single good target in the grassed areas of ovals and parks themselves. The Ace goes off every swing with a riot of noise and whenever I dig I worry that the hole will get too big so I give up and move another few feet. I am working mostly in all metal with the first 2 notched out which is going well on the tan bark in the playgrounds but I can't for the life of me seem to figure how you are getting results in the dirt.

Any info you (or any other more seasoned users) can share would be gratefully taken on board as I am running out of playgrounds but still hooked on the hobby (to the point of one written warning about my new love affair from the other half). I have a garrett digger and also pointer so I don't think its my pin-pointing errors but I may be wrong.

Cheers and thanks for all the posts so far

Goldpick said:
Went for a quick swing at a previously unknown reserve and old oval near me, can't believe I didn't know it existed, tucked away behind an old church and school. Did a bit of research, and the area dates back into the mid 1800's, so was hoping to at least find something old to prove me right.

Coins weren't presenting themselves as often as I would have liked ($3.21, plus a silver earing),but got a good signal on a creek bank, and pulled out real nice old four hole button marked "Double Ring Edge". The button is copper alloy and was silver guilded at one stage, further research shows that it may have dated back to the mid 1800's, and was a trouser button. The Victorian museum has one on record, but this one is in much better condition, otherwise there is very little info on this button.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/collec...ton-metal-4-hole-sew-through-double-ring-edge

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1400520344_img_20140520_025558.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1400520366_img_20140520_025618.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1400520812_img_20140520_030440.jpg

This is the type of site the cz3d excels at.

Anything deep swing slowly pump up the discriminator
and listen to the crackle tone for those deep targets
Because there should be some.

Imagine what was lost as people got off their horse
And cart.

Latest posts