Minelab SD2100 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KeeponDiggin said:
The hunt day has arrived.
The last few visits have proved fruitless
to this area but today is somewhat different.
I normally pick an area and roam and detect randomly.
This time round i have 4 locations to go over.
All being in reach of where it was found.
The maps all tell me the hills and gullies havnt been
Worked in. So we will see.
A bit excited by it as all 4 areas have had chunks come out at
some point so i believe today i can find a few bits.
The goal is for but 1 piece :)

The new technique for today is to detect to a tree instead of
move around it.
Regardless of findings ill report back tonight.

Might even catch up to Wombat in the arvo :)
Good day Chaps

KoD

Good plan Keep on. Don't know if you are using a DD coil but if you detect to a tree always keep the front of the coil towards the tree not the side. It takes a bit more time as you walk around the tree but you are getting coverage right up the tree this way. Good luck on the virgin ground - it pays off in the end in my opinion.

1381054957_image.jpg

What a long long day.
I learned a lesson in perserverance.
So the end result was this little ripper.
It was in an open spot that for the traffic in coil on
ground time makes me confused as to how it was missed.
Agree 110% loamer :)

So the Adventures of KoD continue.
Great to see the other laddies out there today, even if ya 4500 and 5000's
men i have to be 3 stubbies apart.

Kod

So does that make the score SD2100 - 1 vs. Talbot - 0? :lol:

Another good bit with ya "rusty old SD" KD. Might have to get some lessons off ya - still to christen the 2200.

Mbasko, lessons you say :)
Ha. Nahh mate, how bout when your heading to vic
we catch up and ill wander a hill with ya and see what
large interlectual words come to mind that day, like- target,
ground noise, dig and you bloody rippa :)
Lol

Talbot V's 2100 is T=5 Gold=2
Still a good ratio.
Im just happy that i found a bit in a spot known to be flogged.
An old guy told me he and his mate nailed over 7oz from 1 gully
They told another then there were loads out there. 50 cars a weekend or
thereabouts. Hence 2-3 peeps per car. So a guess at 150 odd machines.
And i find a gram in the open. Hmmm

Its there. Just gotta go slower and get your coil where others havnt touched :)

KeeponDigging
Mate you did well yesterday, you out shone the the 4500's and 5000 at that spot. How did you go after we left? I'll catch up with you at The Laanecoorie Gold Bash next weekend. Well Done again mate.
wombat ;)

The rain pulled me up mate.
But the ground up that end needs some
attention.
There are similar gullies and i noted that the
roll of the hills is nice. I rekon the down side of the
hill on the sth/east sides are worth looking at too, say
10-15 off the fenceline and im happy with 25% for me info.
Hahaha
See you at laany mate

Is there still Detectorest's out there finding gold using the SD 2100.
I have been out of Detecting for about 4 x 5 years due to work commitments.
However I am about to get back into it.
I have an SD 2100 that I have successfully found gold with.
My question is? is there still detectable gold out there for the 2100, or do I have to go and invest in the latest 5000 to find gold.
I have heard that the 2100 still holds its own in finding gold compared to the latest Minlab's.
I don't want to spend a lot of dough on a new detector if the 2100 will still do the job.
Maybe some mods for the 2100 (any ideas).
I will eventually buy the latest Detector on retirement in about 4 x 3 years.But hope to get buy with the old SD for the time being.

Hey all I have bought a second hand minelab sd2100 that I can't seem to tune it in it puts out a high pitched sound through the headphones n it's unstable the worst thing I live in tassie n I haven't herd any one owning a sd 2100 so I can't ask any one to have a look at it any info would be greatly appreciated cheers simon

Ok I have 4 coils that came with it and they all seem todo the same and if I run it over a teal object it makes a weird noise n not like its ment to I'll have a look at the headphones n jack to see what I can't find

where are you testing it? you need to be in a clear area away from any EMI if possible.

At home but there are high tension power lines near my place and the power is under ground to my place would that cause it todo it and should it make a noise with out the headphones plugged in its my first minelab

I have checked earphone jacks no wires broken :) so hopefully I haven't bought a dud and power lines would do it shit I might slip up to a forestry park n play around with it ( no power lines close up there ) n see what happens thanks for all ur help much appreciated I guess I better get reading :)

It will be the power lines. backyard testing is not a good idea. Even underground power, microwave towers, electric fences, any EMI activity will affect the coils. You can get anti-interference coils which are a whole other world and expense. Later GPXs can be also affected by aircraft EMI but don't know if the 2100 suffers the same.

Latest posts