Minelab 4000 tips and hints

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there just wondering if I could get some advice I have purchased a second hand minelab 4000 detector, I'm having some trouble finding the right settings to run the machine on I'm picking up a little bit of lead shot here and there but Im having trouble quieting the machine done to find clear signals I'm detecting around Stawell area Victoria Australia which has a lot of hot ground I'm using a 14 inch mono coil, the settings I'm running at the moment are FRONT PANEL: threshold- 1o clock, search mode- general, soil timings- sensitive, ground balance-fixed, coil- mono. DIGITAL DISPLAY- volume 26, tone-60, signal 13, tracking slow, Gb type- general, sensitive smooth, iron reject off, manual tune 128, audio- normal, Gain- 8, Motion-slow, Response-normal.. when I start the detector I press the auto tune button and when it's done it tunes it into around 230 just wondering has this got anything to do with it since I've been told to run the detector around 120- 150 if there's any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Hi Leight Sorry I cant help you but I picked up a 4000 recently as well and I would like to know similar answers so will be watching to see how it goes but will give you any updates as I work it out on mine I should have the Jonathan porter DVDs on how to run the 4000 in the next few days so will be great to see if I pick any thing up from them if I do I will let you know as well Come on there must be some 4000 users out there please help
Roy

These charts may be of some help (cross out/disregard timings not on the 4000):
http://www.detectorprospector.com/g...-gpx-4000-4500-5000-manuals-timing-charts.htm
Basically the GPX4000 needs to be run in low/med mineralised soil in Sensitive Extra (small, shallow gold) or for medium mineralised soil in Normal. You will likely find a DD coil will operate best in these timings depending on the ground.
For high mineralisation &/or mono coils then Sensitive Smooth would be best but won't go as deep as Normal where that can be used.
Other settings (like gain) are really area dependent & starting at factory presets then making adjustments to suit is a good idea. Adjust things so you get a nice stable threshold. Take a few test targets & play with things + test some targets in the ground to gauge the best response/s for the area. Don't be scared of adjusting things - you can't break anything & it can all be reset to start over again. I really believe working out settings to suit yourself & your area/s is the best way to go rather than using someone elses settings that may not suit you or your area/s.
Read the manual & use the charts in the link to help. After awhile, & it's not a huge learning curve, it will become easier to adjust to adapt to different types of ground & applications.
If you can meet up with some members or do a training day. Any GPX operator should be able to be of assistance as the 4000 is basically the same as 4500/5000 just with fewer refinements + timings.

Latest posts