Minelab SD2100 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,
I own a 2100 and hopeful of good advice.
I want to use an 8" mono for mullock action
The 11" is good but a more sensitive coil is required :)
Thoughts please :)

Yes, do it - an 8 inch mono on your SD2100 is a very good combo. Just remember to slow your swing and listen for the quiet signals in the threshold. The mono will be a bit noisier than the DD coil but this will depend on the amount of mineralisation in the soil you are hunting on.
Ts.

While the 2100 is a very capable machine, it does not like highly mineralized ground. Particularly with a mono coil, you will hear it moan and groan, beep and fart. Unfortunately the mineralized ground and gold are usually together. With practice this ground can be worked but these conditions can chase away a lot of operators due to mental fatigue. I would suggest hunting with the DD then once you find a few bits of gold in an area, switch to the mono for a thorough clean up. If you are in a very quiet area (soil wise) Go for your life and use both. If your not up to speed on the difference between the two types of coils, I would also suggest reading and seeing some diagrams on how they function, so that you know how the coils are seeing into the ground. For want of a better description I would put it like this. The DD has a field like a paint brush but the mono has a cone type field. The cone penetrating a little deeper. The cone shape however can miss some targets that don't pass under the center of the coil and get picked up by the deeper field. The DD may miss some targets because the field cuts shorter but is flatter and gives a wider stroke for slightly broader ground coverage with each swing. Mono's need a much tighter swing pattern with more overlap to get the best coverage. Mono's will go deeper but understanding their field is very important. Being that you are chasing the mullock heaps I would say you are going to be OK with either coil as the mineralization has usually been broken up in comparison to virgin ground.
Good luck.

Found great gold in some very hot areas.
The idea of the mono is just for mullock action.
It should be more sensitive for the tiny bits and of course
locate the specimen and larger bits lurking :)

Have you tried a 10/5 dd
There pretty sensitive
As far as dds go
On the small stuff
They work well on the sds !

Yeah Lbg, i have mate.
Wasnt overly impressed for some reason.
The 11" DD has been deadly.
But its too big for some of the terrain and rough cover
I want to get it and also the mullocks :)
Might look into a Sadie. 8" mono. Reports suggest its a weapon

I also have a SD2100, acquired from my dad, along with a goldbug2. The goldbug works fine, but I am currently looking for a powerpack for the 2100

1378202416_resized.jpg

..does anyone know where i can buy one from? I live in sydney.

hey guys what is the depth on the sd2100, and what would be the best coil to use?

11" DD round for a general all purpose, probably graduate to a 14" DD round. 11" a good compromise for mullock heaps and closed in scrubby ground. 14" for more open ground and patch hunting. You can get a 11 x 7 DD (I think its 11 x 7) for real close scrubby ground. As for depth - its the coils AND the machine operating together. Also depends on the soil type.

10x5 eliptical DD. its the joey coil.
Amazing combo for smaller bits and loamer
is spot on with the 11" round DD
I pegged a .27 bit two days ago.
As small as a new machine will hunt down.
:)

The hunt day has arrived.
The last few visits have proved fruitless
to this area but today is somewhat different.
I normally pick an area and roam and detect randomly.
This time round i have 4 locations to go over.
All being in reach of where it was found.
The maps all tell me the hills and gullies havnt been
Worked in. So we will see.
A bit excited by it as all 4 areas have had chunks come out at
some point so i believe today i can find a few bits.
The goal is for but 1 piece :)

The new technique for today is to detect to a tree instead of
move around it.
Regardless of findings ill report back tonight.

Might even catch up to Wombat in the arvo :)
Good day Chaps

KoD

Best of luck mate, be safe and I can't wait to see the results of your research.

Latest posts