Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ramjet said:
bigfoot said:
I've just been looking at the AT Pro and AT Gold and they look good, can't really tell the difference between them. Had a look at the Whites MXT, Nokta Fors Core and X-terra 705 too, all look like they'd do the job. Leaning towards the Garrett AT due to it being waterproof.

The Gold and the Pro run different frequencies. one more suited to Gold but it also finds coins and relics. As the others have said there is no ONE detector to do it all.
Bigfoot your stated budget will get you a pretty goo coin/relic hunter but is at the bottom of the gold detector market. Good luck.
Thanks Ramjet, sound advice. I'll stick with a coin/relic machine for now.
Cheers

Looking on ebay the units sold from the US are significantly cheaper than the local models, for what reasons might I choose to buy locally?

bigfoot said:
Looking on ebay the units sold from the US are significantly cheaper than the local models, for what reasons might I choose to buy locally?

Buyer beware. There are a lot fakes out there that look just like the real deal. Yes there are good saving buying OS. Some companies, Garrett for example, have banned their American dealers from selling to Australia. I assume to protect the Aussie dealers. Of course there are ways around this. There are companies that let you ship to their American address and they forward it on to you for a fee of course.

Reasons to buy locally are to support Aussie shops and for warranty purposes.

Ramjet said:
Buyer beware. There are a lot fakes out there that look just like the real deal. Yes there are good saving buying OS. Some companies, Garrett for example, have banned their American dealers from selling to Australia. I assume to protect the Aussie dealers. Of course there are ways around this. There are companies that let you ship to their American address and they forward it on to you for a fee of course.

Reasons to buy locally are to support Aussie shops and for warranty purposes.

Both good reasons. I imagine that these things ard pretty solid state, how likely is someone to require warranty assistance? Not that I'd buy from overseas, just wondering. What sort of warranty can one expect? Is one manufacturer particularly regarded for reliability or support? Can anyone recommend a local retailer as particularly good for after sales help?

If you go second hand ask for proof of reciepts. Most reputable dealers will issue out a receipt that is easily identified and should be around the RRP. There's always some good deals on both AT types and 705 types, and there is massive amounts of info around about operating these types. The blokes that get the rush but put it back in the cupboard to gather dust after say 3 months is fairly common, and then there's the guys upgrading that sell the old one on the same market. Often these machines have little use and can be from 10-50% off retail!

The for sale section has the odd one come up here on PA often from an established member. I would suggest hiring (very cheap) but I'm not sure about Tassie options. That way you can test what a machine is like and usually get a lesson and/or instructions on how to use.

A lot of the listed machines above from the members are great choices, and in your price range there really isn't a "bad" machine. If you are prepared to put the time in you will find any machine around the price point you have mentioned will reliably find you some treasure.

I think Tassie would be a great place for relics and coins, good discrimination and recovery would assist you, I'd stick to the relic/coin machines over the hybrids. Not much gold in Tassie? :p

I might have to build a mock detector out of a broom handle, some dunny rolls and a paint tin lid to practice my action until I get my hands on the real thing.

And make beeping sounds with my voice...

I'm sure all the guys who get gold in Tassie love it when people say "There's no gold in Tassie" :cool:

clegy said:
bigfoot said:

Because you live Locally.
Sounds like the sort of thing someone with a financial interest might say.

bigfoot said:
clegy said:
bigfoot said:

Because you live Locally.
Sounds like the sort of thing someone with a financial interest might say.

Actually sounds like what someone would say if they don't want to see you get burned or ripped off, Clegy is a good bloke and would not just say it because he's a dealer.

Anyway go buy one from overseas and if you need a warranty claim you'll have to send it back over there. Then if the brand has a regional policy of not supplying overseas buyers then you won't get warranty at all if you use a mail forwarding company.

I needed a warranty repair on my new CTX3030, was easy, no questions asked because I bought it locally from a reputable dealer.

Just sayin.

If buying from new, I'd definitely look to purchase locally for warranty and convenience. You will be wearing any postage/insurance costs if requiring to send an imported detector back to the US for repairs, so there goes many of the savings made from the initial US purchase.

The only detector I have actually imported from new was the XP Deus from France, though I had no other viable option at the time, and it was also prior to Clegy taking on the brand.

Bigfoot, do you have any dealers in your local area where you can physically check out some detectors? :)

Goldpick said:
If buying from new, I'd definitely look to purchase locally for warranty and convenience. You will be wearing any postage/insurance costs if requiring to send an imported detector back to the US for repairs, so there goes many of the savings made from the initial US purchase.

The only detector I have actually imported from new was the XP Deus from France, though I had no other viable option at the time, and it was also prior to Clegy taking on the brand.

Bigfoot, do you have any dealers in your local area where you can physically check out some detectors? :)
No mate I'm in Gippsland Victoria for another 10 days and we're off to new digs in Nth Central Tassie. I've seen that there's a Garrett dealer in Hobart but I'm not expecting to be down there any time soon. The Garrett Australia web shop might be my best option as I'm pretty settled on an AT PRO and I'm not sure whether I'd learn much from doing a hands on investigation as I've nothing to compare it against. The only thing that could be a concern is length because I'm tall but not that tall at 6'2"ish.

Goldpick said:
You did mention the preference for a waterproof detector, of which the Racer isn't.
Yes I can see the benefits of a waterproof unit, especially in Tassie! Thanks for the tip.

Being a AT pro owner & user i can tell you the bad points. Only issue i've had is with headphones the standard units have volume control but poor sound production the blue water proof units have no volume control so full volume and distortion. I am using ear bud type with volume control to an adaptor whitch negates warerproof at connection. Pulse induction pinpointers will interfeer with them. That's about it Other than that the AT pro is a relieble & robust unit. Hope this helps. Cheers. Dave.

I'll add that a mate has had his At Pro 6 years and the first issue came up recently. The in built speaker failed. Have heard of a couple having speaker issues after submersing them.

Latest posts