Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im new to prospecting and am looking at purchasing my first detector.

I am mainly looking to use the detector in central victoria to look for gold.

I'm looking to spend under $1000 (new or second hand)

Ive seen a second hand mine lab eureka gold for $700odd. not sure if this is a good price or whether it will suit for the area i intend prospecting?

Also read about knock off mine lab models floating around. any tips for making sure i dot buy a dud.

Any help much appreciated.

Brendan,
$700 seems a good price for an EG, but am not sure that its a long term gold machine for you. In Vic you will be detecting in areas that others have detected using Minelabs latest detectors eg the 2300, 5000 and 7000, and even though gold has been left behind by the machines/operators its still hard to find. The other thing that I do not like about VLF machines is hot rocks, that sound like metal and need to be dug up.

I suggest you rent out a Minelab 4500 for a day and ditto an eureka Gold from say Coiltek at Maryborough, even if you do not rent from Coiltek I would go and have a face to face talk with them B4 a purchase. I own a 4500 and a 7000, and started detecting in the early 80's with ML 15,000, then 16000 etc etc.

All the best in your search/future hobby.

Peter

Brendan08 .... good to see you thinking of joining us in the chase for the elusive gold that the old timers left behind.
You haven't mentioned how often you've been out before .
I would highly recommend that you do a training day or 2 with one of the tour operators (CGS/Gold'n'Relics or Coiltek Maryborough) to get a good indication of what's involved ..... I've had a few mates who have seen the gold I've found are were super keen to give it a go ...... until I explained the reality of the expense and difficulty in trying to find it .... it's not for everyone and does require a lot of perseverance and patience (and a bit of luck).
These operators or any good detector shop will gladly provide you with advise on what's available.
I would strongly suggest saving for maybe a 2nd hand SDC .... this will increase your chances of finding some yellow, you can always trade up later.
Good luck,
Tom

Brendan08 said:
Also read about knock off mine lab models floating around. any tips for making sure i dot buy a dud.
All modern detectors from major brands have knock offs now it's just that Minelab are more popular in Australia so the Minelab knock offs are more common here. You need to be careful with any brand.
If possible to prevent buying a dud:
-get the serial number & purchase details/invoice & check with the manufacturer
-arrange an inspection
If the seller is reluctant to or can't provide the above or won't allow inspection let them keep it.

Hi all,

New member, first post.

My partner and I are shopping for our first metal detector for general fossicking/scrounging with a budget of under $1500.

Can anyone recommend a make and model which would suit a beginner?

Thanks,
Pete

welcome pete

Thats a really good starting amount as you would have a large amount to choose from. Like most people new to the hobby you need to ask the question of where you will be detecting and start there as like tools, you need the right one for the right job.

I started the the mine lab 705 and it was a great starter detector that cost at the time around $800 - the pro's were it was easy to learn and more of a turn on and go sort of detector.

Im sure other members will add the advice with other makes then i suggest looking them up on youtube and doing a little research

Agreed the 705 X-Terra, but with your budget, go for the Duel pack, you'll get more functionality with 2 coils, good for coins, jewelry etc and entry level gold if you are of a mind. They are in round figures $1,000.

My 2nd choice would be the Minelab GoFind 60 at about $400, but it is not really suitable for Gold.

Both are VLF. You won't get a PI (pulse induction) for $1,500 other than an older 2nd hand job.

Search the web for the best price, but beware Ebay knock offs made in China.

Yeah soo many options in that price range. Would be good to clarify if by fossicking you mean gold fossicking. Would you be doing any beach detecting? Relic sites? Etc. There are a lot of good general purpose type units out there at the moment, but they all have their little tricks and things they are particularly good at.

E.g. Minelab Safari - great on salty beaches
Whites MXT - good workhorse, robust
Garrett AT - fully waterproof
Nokta Fors Core - very good in thick trash
X-terra 705 - can change frequency by changing coils

By your post you are doing the right think ,to make it simple there are 2 basic detectors used one for coin and relics and the other for gold unfortunately one does not do all, some will disagree with me but just look at what is being found with what detectors.The coin detector are VLF detectors with good discriminators there is an array of prices and performance so you need to do your home work and ask many question. IF this gold you are looking for then just have a look at what is the most prospectors are using ML PI you should be able to pick up a gp extreme or 3000 or if you are really lucky 3500 in your price range regards john :)

Thanks for the replies.

At this stage we don't know what we're looking for and are just keen to look. We honestly don't know where to look or what we're likely to find but I'm imagining places like beaches and bush, old towns or settlement sites? I'm picturing coins and artifacts but have no idea really, maybe we could end up looking at old mining sites?

We've sold up and are moving from Vic to Tassie for a change in pace, we love the countryside and history and are looking forward enjoying some spare time.

I've been reading some reviews on detectors, the Minelab Safari and Garrett AT seemed popular among folk who were upgrading from beginners models or perhaps were relatively experienced but only wanted 1 detector and for the odd fossick. I've seen the Safari in a pack with extras retailing for around $1350 which comes with rechargable batteries and some earphones but I've no idea of whether it's a good option for us or not.

I'll take the time to investigate the other models mentioned above and check out the second hand jobbies on fleabay. At this stage I'm cautious about buying second hand due to my ignorance and would be concerned about buying something that was broken but could change my mind if I new what to look for.

Cheers,
Pete

I think with the information you have just given i would maybe think about getting like the garrett AT pro - as mentioned its water proof, easy to use and can we used both on land and in water - i personally haven't used one but have many in the states and it looks to be a good machine. My old man is heading to tassie and he mentioned there is a bloke over there who has his own blog and detects quite a lot. ill ask him for the link and post it in here, he will be able to shed some light down there

Sa_bogan said:
I think with the information you have just given i would maybe think about getting like the garrett AT pro - as mentioned its water proof, easy to use and can we used both on land and in water - i personally haven't used one but have many in the states and it looks to be a good machine. My old man is heading to tassie and he mentioned there is a bloke over there who has his own blog and detects quite a lot. ill ask him for the link and post it in here, he will be able to shed some light down there
The blog sounds like the go, I'll look forward to reading it. I'll have another look at the AT Pro.
Cheers

I've just been looking at the AT Pro and AT Gold and they look good, can't really tell the difference between them. Had a look at the Whites MXT, Nokta Fors Core and X-terra 705 too, all look like they'd do the job. Leaning towards the Garrett AT due to it being waterproof.

My advice is don't buy a beginner detector, get something decent and there are many good choices mentioned.

Like many of us you will soon want something better and then something better again then something even better than that.

Detecting is a journey so make sure your detector can grow with you, so you don't out grow it too fast.

The addiction to the hobby can be strong and soon you will need 2, one for the partner as they will refuse to dig your holes after about 3 minutes and want to go alone. That's when the competition starts. LOL.

I can't recommend my Brand as it is over your budget but all the ones you mentioned above are excellent machines.
I started with the 705 and it's a great machine and the Garrett AT would have to be as good having said that I know 2 guys with Nokta Fors Core and they KILL IT.

Good luck with the decision, Just pick what you think is best and then focus on learning that machine and you will get many years of Fun, Friends and Finds.

Enjoy the hobby Mate

bigfoot said:
I've just been looking at the AT Pro and AT Gold and they look good, can't really tell the difference between them. Had a look at the Whites MXT, Nokta Fors Core and X-terra 705 too, all look like they'd do the job. Leaning towards the Garrett AT due to it being waterproof.

The Gold and the Pro run different frequencies. one more suited to Gold but it also finds coins and relics. As the others have said there is no ONE detector to do it all.
Bigfoot your stated budget will get you a pretty goo coin/relic hunter but is at the bottom of the gold detector market. Good luck.

orgone500 said:
If you are thinking about the Whites MXT and you like waterproof, it might be worth investigating the new Whites MX Sport that is due for release soon. Water proof and has a heap of detecting modes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyOQwwIbgSw
Considering the MXT All Pro retails for $1650 here & the MX Sport in the US is being suggested to be more expensive it may be out of the budget range. Might not get much change if any out of $2k?

Whites has recently released a recommended retail price of $799 US for the MX Sport which was a surprise to many. This would price it in between the current MXT All Pro ($899.95 US), and Garrett AT Pro ($699.95 US). So hopefully going by that, the price here might be somewhere around the $1400-1500 mark. Will have to wait and see on local pricing and availability, though it does seem to offer more flexibility across all areas of detecting than the AT Pro, including a dedicated prospecting mode, backlit screen etc. One downside is that it still requires 8 x AA batteries vs 4 x AA for the AT Pro. :)

Pre-orders in the US for the MX Sport are $749 USD (see below link) so even allowing for the hefty conversion rate it should come in around the $1200-$1400 mark. It's in the same market space as the AT Pro but has backlighting and a much bigger display. I'm guessing it might have a better balance than the AT Pro (I find the AT a bit nose heavy) having the batteries under the cuff. It does has a smaller 10" coil compared to the AT 8.5X11. It is untested in the field at this time so might be worth waiting for the reviews.

http://www.windycitydetectors.com/blog/whites-mx-sport-metal-detector/

Edit.. Beaten to the punch by goldpick :eek:

Latest posts