Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i had not gone outside the square and chased coins , ya could have had my 5000, but now i have tamed the beast , maybe not , lol

The whites SPP seems like the go if you want to be at least somewhat serious about gold detecting but still don't want to pay a whole lot.

Hi guys just would like some idea what detector to buy for around $1300 I currently have a x terra 705 but this is not great for we're I go in the gold fields. I would love to know what's the best bang for my buck. I know I need a PI machine but which would be the best. SD2100 or GP extreme please help me. I could maybe push $1500 thanks

Also if someone has an older PI please let me know if you would let it go to a good home thanks guys. :D

I've searched and read a fair bit on here since joining and it's given me a bit of a reality check I guess you could say. Initially I had the idea of getting a decent 'gold detector' but all the relic finds on here had me hooked and I'd say without some relic finds the hunt for only gold could see the the detector eventually gather dust.

I've got a current budget of around $1000 and happy SH or new. Happy to spend more but don't want to be the guy with all the gear and no idea! So far I've got the no idea part down pat. ;)

Let me know if I'm on the right track here; The Minelab Xterra 705 seems to be what I should be aiming for from what I've read. The gold coil in conjunction with a pin pointer is good for all round relic and possibly gold prospecting. It will show its flaws in mineralised grounds in comparison to PI and bigger $ detectors. A more dedicated? gold detector like an sd2200 or similar is not as good for relic but well suited to gold and small gold.

I'm open to any suggestions as well as ideas for coils and any other gear.

I figure if I get good use out of it and it is a reasonable machine it would be worth keeping if I decide to spend more for a good dedicated gold detector.

Cheers, Zoran.

I would look at what you are going to do more of.

If more relic hunting then go for something like the XTerra as it is a good relic machine but can be used to find gold.

If you plan to do more gold detecting, then perhaps look at a PI machine (like an SD2200) which can be used for relic hunting but works better for gold hunting.

Zorgs said:
I've searched and read a fair bit on here since joining and it's given me a bit of a reality check I guess you could say. Initially I had the idea of getting a decent 'gold detector' but all the relic finds on here had me hooked and I'd say without some relic finds the hunt for only gold could see the the detector eventually gather dust.

I've got a current budget of around $1000 and happy SH or new. Happy to spend more but don't want to be the guy with all the gear and no idea! So far I've got the no idea part down pat. ;)

Let me know if I'm on the right track here; The Minelab Xterra 705 seems to be what I should be aiming for from what I've read. The gold coil in conjunction with a pin pointer is good for all round relic and possibly gold prospecting. It will show its flaws in mineralised grounds in comparison to PI and bigger $ detectors. A more dedicated? gold detector like an sd2200 or similar is not as good for relic but well suited to gold and small gold.

I'm open to any suggestions as well as ideas for coils and any other gear.

I figure if I get good use out of it and it is a reasonable machine it would be worth keeping if I decide to spend more for a good dedicated gold detector.

Cheers, Zoran.

Reckon you answered your own question there Z.
I'm in much the same place as you by the sound of it, but am very glad I bought the 705. It excels on relics and coins for a newbie like myself but I have also found gold with it.
In my situation it has taught me heaps about general tector use and opened up a whole new world of what is under the ground at our very feet (of course have to wave the coil over it).
I will hopefully get my hands on a PI detector one day and use it on the goldfields, but also keep the 705 for other aspects of this great hobby.
The 705, for me anyway opened up an amazing door that I wish had opened sooner and I would love nothing more than to post a pic of a whopper nugget or a holey dollar etc that was found with my current tector and which has been shown to produce the goods, as long as the coil is waved over it and the target is dug.
I ummed an aaaahed for a while before purchasing it and also did a lot of research and feel that I made the right choice based on my budget ($1000).
Plenty of settings but best of all it works and no I am in no way affiliated but enjoy getting out and using it.
Best of luck and hope you find something that suits you and your budget etc.
Plenty on the market but I can say, for me, this one fits like a glove.
Cheers,
Billy.

P.S. Edit: I have not found a whopper nugget, nor a holey dollar with "my" detector, but believe they have been found with a 705.
P.S.S Hopefully I will find one or both of the above!!! ;)

good morning diggers , I have only joined this site last night and we are always taking the kids camping ,so was looking into getting a detector to hunt around a bit when out.
my question is , a good name brand ,not overly expensive , pre loved would be good, detector do they find both metals (coins tools ect) AND gold with the discrimination settings ? I was looking to spend up to $700 for a first unit.
cheers

webstertwin said:
good morning diggers , I have only joined this site last night and we are always taking the kids camping ,so was looking into getting a detector to hunt around a bit when out.
my question is , a good name brand ,not overly expensive , pre loved would be good, detector do they find both metals (coins tools ect) AND gold with the discrimination settings ? I was looking to spend up to $700 for a first unit.
cheers

For you either the Whites MXTs or the Minelab 505 or 705 would do the trick for the Kids any of the Whites newer treasure machines and if you can fund one second hand the Minelab Musketeer Advantage, or a Fisher F4 and the F5, and F70, any of the F series will be good for the Kids and Keep an eye out for any of the Tesoros they are good for searching between the junk,

hope this helps john

Xterra 705 is very popular. I don't know anything about Whites or Fisher so take RR's advice on them. Detectors a pretty specific these days. Designed for gold or coins/relics. Of course they will all find all metals... if it's big enough and not to deep in the ground. For serious gold detectors you need to spend some serious $$$.

Good luck and enjoy.

Ramjet said:
Xterra 705 is very popular. I don't know anything about Whites or Fisher so take RR's advice on them. Detectors a pretty specific these days. Designed for gold or coins/relics. Of course they will all find all metals... if it's big enough and not to deep in the ground. For serious gold detectors you need to spend some serious $$$.

Good luck and enjoy.

Back a few years ago I bought the Fisher F4 as A Machine to keep in the truck, it was so Simple yet it was hitting coins 8 to 10" deep and the recovery is really good, Lovely light machine for the Mrs and kids to use and they make a couple of coils for it,, Battery life is good and it wont break the bank,

Writing this I am considering buying another one Now, lol

john

thanks guys , I would probably use it for a little gold searching , so from what I gather from research a dedicated gold unit would still pick up other metals but not good at discriminating between scrap, nails ,wire ect ? I have three young boys to do the digging .
cheers

webstertwin said:
thanks guys , I would probably use it for a little gold searching , so from what I gather from research a dedicated gold unit would still pick up other metals but not good at discriminating between scrap, nails ,wire ect ? I have three young boys to do the digging .
cheers

Just a word of warning, I found that kids quickly loose interest when the targets are not coins or treasure so try and get them a machine that can disc out junk or you will be going detecting on your own,

Been there done That,, lol

Ridge Runner said:
Ramjet said:

Good luck and enjoy.

Back a few years ago I bought the Fisher F4 as A Machine to keep in the truck, it was so Simple yet it was hitting coins 8 to 10" deep and the recovery is really good, Lovely light machine for the Mrs and kids to use and they make a couple of coils for it,, Battery life is good and it wont break the bank,

Writing this I am considering buying another one Now, lol

john

The Fisher and Whites are not anywhere near as popular over here as the big 2 brands.

Webstertwin

The 705 is more a coin detector that will find gold. Many people use them and if you look through the forum they do very well on coins and relics. For gold they are the lower end of the market.
Decide what you will be hunting most and get a detector suited to that. Of course it's you get what you pay for deal. There are different technologies. VLF for coin hunters and the newer PI, (Pulse Induction) gold detectors. Research research research :D

hi all
i am trying to fined a metal detector for gold
that will be ok up north qld i got about $1000 to spend
could any one help me with this
thanks

Hi Guys, forgive me but I`m sure this question has been asked a million times. Keep in mind that I have never been detecting...
I'm going to be moving to Melbourne soon and I`m thinking of taking up detecting on the beach and possibly the parks.
My question to you guys is; What detector do you recommend? Do I spend $400 or $1200 on a detector for a newbie?
The two that have caught my eye are the Minelab Go-find 60 and the Garrett AT pro. I like the Minelab because of its ease of transportability and compactness. And I like the Garrett because of all the good reviews I`ve read. Like all of you, I really don't want to be digging up a load of junk, but then $1200 is also a lot of money for a newbie to splash out for starters. Or is there another detector that you would recommend over these two?

Welcome to PA Bullcat.
The At Pro is a good choice. Fully waterproof for the beaches. In the Minelab stable I would look at the xterra 705 rather than the Gofind. Gofind is more an entry level where the 705 is a more serious detector. Most people who buy cheaper detectors usually want to upgrade. With an At Pro or 705 you shouldn't need to upgrade. The both have pros and cons. Xterra only the coil is waterproof but you can get different frequency coils which extends it's usefulness.

Yep what ramjet says, you will more than likely get hooked very fast especially if you find something really cool, I Have the GO-Find 40 used it 6 times maybe, I found a really old coin that got me hooked well and truly but dug heaps of trash as there is really no target ID and the tones are not all that distinguishable, so i went and spent $1400 bucks of what i really couldn't afford and haven't looked back since. Its like anything in life you usually get what you pay ;)

Cant go wrong with the xterra or Garret :cool:

Latest posts