Garrett ATX Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

My atx finally arrived, unpacked it and before I've even taken it out for a spin I realised that the coil cable is stopping the last shaft from fully going back into the housing. Anyone else having this issue or am I just being a div?? It works fine when it's not attached. And yes I have tied to wind the cable up tighter as it says in the book??

I could do without the drama after spending that sort of money if you know what I'm saying :-(

I think there are a number of videos on the Garrett site or youtube that show it being put together and taken apart.

How many winds did you do . could need some more winds

Here's what I did

mine did the same after I took the coil off and then back on then i wound it as per instruction and was binding up I then wound it some more and bingo all good . It has a slight spring loaded feel now and closes up without the bind. I also shamfered the edges of the shafts as they looked a little daggy .

Cheers silv and stalker, I will go thru those links and have a mootch.
So far I wound it up so it went tight but straight, didn't work, then I wound it until it started to buckle and turnover in a knot type way so though I'd better stop now before I bust it. Yes I agree that the shafts are a bit of a ruff finish so I might tidy them up and chamfer them over the weekend.

I must Remember to take the battery pack out when messing about. I've dropped it twice now already!

I read on another forum " finds treasure forum " where the shaft wore the coil lead due to the same prob . Garrett replaced it with a new coil .
If your still having problems go and get It replaced ASAP . no point tempting fate

I have atx,apart from minor glitches with screw and one oring machine was very reliable.Garrett was always very prompt.Sorry to hear about that.
On the other hand before going on the trip like this it wouldn't hurt to do some tests with the nugget especially if first one was a fluke.No disrespect :)

hmmm, think i found the problem...

Any thoughts...

1409173334_photo.jpg

Is that other coil supposed to have a lead sticking out of it as well ??

bugger when new stuff isn't perfect out the box(quality control let down).

Marshy,
I had that happen with my coil and I extended the shafts starting from the coil end first, CAREFULLY, so that the cable resets it self into the right position. Make sure you hold onto the end of the cable as you do it. That should sort it out. Bit fiddly but it worked for me. Failing that send an email to [email protected] Adrian's great and either answers the question himself or sends it on to who ever can. Found him really helpful. Good Luck.

Hey guys thanks for your replys. First of all, the atx was not new, but sold to me as a hardly used machine, I bought it second hand as I wanted the deep seek but also wanted a bargain, well that the chance you take I suppose.

I tried all of the methods to get the cable to recoil. It nothing worked. It still has approx 20 months warranty from new so when I spoke to garrett, I think the guy was rob, he went through it with me then asked me to send it in. I posted it last Friday so they should have it Wednesday and hopefully make a decision by Friday. It still works fine, but if I can't fold it up it's not going to be looked after.

I know the deep seeker coil is for prospecting but I tried it on the beach the other day... That thing is a monster! Giving off signals all over the place, couldn't work out a pinpoint or balance it properly, best keep that for the gold fields ;-)

Anyone else tried it out?? Thoughts??

Im on the edge of my seat now waiting for the dd the hit the mat haha

Ok. I was ordered used Recon detector, and after shippment from USA to Poland (Europe) unit doesnt work you can't power up...

Im owner of 4 months ATX too, (used twice), and I sold the unit from Poland to UK. After shipment doesnt work too! Could you help me and resolve the problem? This is weird situation.