Your at a new area, you get out the Deus and set it to....?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clegy

Justin Cleghorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just Interested to hear from other Deus users about the starting out program that they use the most. The one that normally comes on as soon as you turn on your detector.

For me it's still the HOT program, with 0 Discrimination.

It gives you a good understanding of what is under your feet at a new site. I then either adjust it to suit the site a little by adding discrimination or even dropping the frequency down or if it's a cleaner site, like some out in the bush, I then go to GM power 8Khz TX 3 and reactivity at 1 to chase some more depth.

But I really am addicted to the HOT program, though I run it in 12khz more often than not.

What is your Starting out program for the Deus?

Clegy

#11 Morg 1

15 Disc
85 Sens
11.7 kHz
2 Iron (meh, I like to hear stuff)
2 React - 2 Silencer
4 audio - 1 overload

Like I've said in other posts, if there is something in all that which is working against itself let me know because even after a couple of years with the deus I'm still a bit of a numpty.

Did find my nugget and random rings and coins with this one though.

Turf, I choose the quietest freq, of either 12 or 17, then 98 sens, silencer off, reactivity 3, iron audio 1, tx3, lower GB to 2 above what the deus reads, and descrim 5.

dunno, does silencer cost depth? Reactivity does, but at 3 its not loosing much...or anything at all. The deus's greatest strength is reactivity I reckon, winding it down isnt an option in our trashy soils.

Here is a good read about silencer and its effects on the Deus.
http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/xp_deus_silencer.shtml

I only bring it into play when there is a lot of iron rollover, otherwise -1 is my preferred setting for it.

I only lower reactivity to under 3 when the soil is pretty clean, definitely NOT in parks. More a bush hunt setting.

Agree Rocket that the Deus's speed is one of its main benefits so I take advantage of that as often as I can.

Cheers Guys, hope you had a productive weekend.

Clegy

Nothing exciting, hot program 99.99% of times. 18kHz on the first pass and for relic sites holding lots of low conductors, 12kHz for picking up the deeper high conductors on later passes/gridding.

Startup settings:
18kHz
Silencer -1
Reactivity 3
GB manual 90
Sensitivity 90
Discrim approx 5
Tx power - default
Fulltones

Only time I like to hear iron is on brand spanker sites where there is little surface indication of previous habitation, or when venturing further afield from a known site.

The silencer does rob some depth, but I don't think it is quite as dramatic as regularly reported.

Goldfields 10 Programme - I am in WA, question I have is what is the best way to adjust detector in our mineralised soils. Have tried manual GB as well as pumping and tracking, adjusting other settings as well but still haven't found any nuggets. Any advice would be helpful, I feel there is something I am not doing quite right. :(

I have not detected in WA but have tried a couple of times in central Vic. Mainly use the goldfield program. Find it difficult to get the detector to run quietly but have not used another brand of VLF to compare. I generally run in fixed GB and find you have to ground grab on a regular basis. I think you have to be prepared to drop the sensitivity quite a bit also. I run reactivity at 0, TX at 3 and have set the frequency to max in the 18kz mode. If you go into ground notch and hit the + button once or twice you will find that the signal from hot rocks will break up.
Oh and the other thing is you have to walk over a nugget :lol:

Goldiewa said:
Goldfields 10 Programme - I am in WA, question I have is what is the best way to adjust detector in our mineralised soils. Have tried manual GB as well as pumping and tracking, adjusting other settings as well but still haven't found any nuggets. Any advice would be helpful, I feel there is something I am not doing quite right. :(

See The comment from Petere
That's exactly what I did in Wedderburn and Bendigo. It is hard to get it completely silent but targets stick out quite well when you go over them.

In Goldfield, Regular Ground balancing is the key, I use manual and raise and lower the coil while adjusting the balance until I find the sweet spot.
Not the most experienced at gold with any detector. But note Petere's use of LOW Reactivity and HIGH TX Power that's important.

Good luck mate, waving the coil over some nuggets also helps a lot. LOL

Happy Hunting.

Clegy

Latest posts