Yobskins forced into retirement .

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive had a very buisy working life grading tuna and broardbill for japanese markets im a third generation fish filleter so i was taught at the age of 5 as soon as i could reach the bench made it to the top of my field so speak at 19 i was cutting 200 30kg-60kg tuna in a 8hr day i was cutting them in world record time 1m50sec 60kg tuna.
Just not proven so when i was 25 i made a statement how i was australias fastest filletter and sent it around the traps hopping to get a bite..the office phones were ringing constantly the next day.
I invited all the fat cats of the seafood industry to see me cut because they couldnt believe such a thing under 1min 50sec.
Most of them turned up i let them watch my warm up of 40 fish thats just to hone in my knives hahaha a couple left striaght away in shock. Video cams are all set up to record. I smashed it 2nd nature for me i dont even have to look at what im cutting throwing my knives from hand to hand it was recorded over 100 fish my average time per fish was 45seconds fastest fish was 38 seconds. Even my boss was in shock i told him i want a pay riase. :eek: The all agreed i was not only Australias fastest but the worlds fastest. Ive travelled the world through my work fished on plenty a vessel . Largest tuna ive cut was 387kg bluefin ...broadbill was 680kg. Dealing with fish that big has taken is toll degeneration of discs at 25. Full disc prolapse with osteophytes at 35 and now at 37 my discs have the wearing of a 80 year old so now the government has put me on full disability pension. :)

Although I like the sound of retiring at 37, sorry to hear about your discs. I know a few brick layers , and labourers that put in the hard yakka over years and are suffering with back issues as well.

Its the most common disease amongst working class man.
I wouldnt wish it upon anyone.....i didnt think i would get it as im so young and they always send me back to work there is a 90-120 day processing time i got told with in 48 hrs. Aparently im getting some back pay (rato water pump). Im having trouble classifying material it kills me shaking sieve picking up buckets. Highbanker will help. :D

Highbanker will definitely make it easier on your back mate.

Sorry to hear about your situation mate. Back problems knee problems hip problems all make life a bit difficult. Hope you can stay positive about it and be careful highbanking you can damage your back easily too. My advice pop a few panadol before a dig so your muscles done seize up ans drink some protein after a dig it will help your muscles recover and you need these to support your bones.

Not so good news Yobskin , saw my late fathers back stuffed at about your age being a bricklayer all his life , no fun living in constant pain , you sound like you are pretty handy with a filleting knife , positives are I guess , you will have more time on your hands for chasing gold and recovery

Good luck

Back problems are the worst Yobskin and I hope your retirement helps heal and prolong its life for your sake.

I don't have your back issues but I still have to be careful with mine as I know what its like to be bailed up in bed for days because I have pulled my back even after using the correct lifting technique.

Goldigging is fun but not worth spending days in bed afterwards, be careful out there mate but good luck.

I feel your pain mate, from a young age I was rolling around bales of wool for the old man when he ran a freight company, also loading unloading cartons of beer & kegs to numerous RSL clubs and pubs, then cut firewood for 4 years hand loading a hungry boarded old Bedford tipper, throw in a few years jumping out of planes for the ADF, long term and still currently swinging off a airleg and the old saying of "biscuit back" is in no way humourous, voltarin like tick taks, anyways thems the blows, glad to hear your getting a pension to keep you going, at least our tax dollars are going to something worthy for once ;)

Ps...I commercially dived for quite a few years, during that time I practically had no back problems, the docs used to tell me it was the best thing for it
Cheers

Apart from the physical woes, those stats are simply awesome Yobskin.

You can stand tall with your achievements in the industry and I know you made the old man as proud as punch!

200 30kg-60kg tuna in a 8hr day.....bloody hell, you certainly know your way around a knife. (have you still got all your fingers?)

It takes me 15min to fillet a 4lb flathead. Hehe

Thanks for sharing that story mate, a great achievement, and i really hope you get some relief from this nasty condition.

All the best.

Hey there yobskin,
Sorry to hear about your back mate, a labouring man always pays the price in his body.
Take care and don't give in to depression, every day we draw breath should be seen as a good day.
And don't be tempted to indulge to much in those delightful 12 inch bags of meat in a bun.
Thinking of you buddy.
Regards Steve

You have some great achievements under your belt Yobskin. Please keep them on the top shelf as momentoes of a great chapter in your life.

The next chapter will be full of change and challenge but offers you an opportunity to follow some of the interests and hobbies that work tends to suppress at times. Sure, the pace will change, but sounds to me that you have earnt the right to enjoy every moment.

Pain won through doing things you enjoy ishould be viewed as a good investment; everone deserves a day of rest after a victory, if you treat it as that you may help keep the depressed thoughts at bay.

My fatherinlaw retired early due to back problems and sounds similar in nature, he keeps pushing himself to achieve goals but struggles at times with pain days. He would say....limit your vices ( pain drugs and alcohol ) and don't be afraid of taking the edge off depression with some happy pills if the balance gets out of whack.

All the best for this new chapter of you life, you already have a great hobby where friendship and adventures should make it a rewarding one.

I know where your coming from Yobskin.
I used to be Head bandsaw operator in an Abattoir years ago and was bloody good at it,till it aggravated an existing condition and sent me on to DSP.

Prospecting and my kids and better half are the only things keeping me sane.
Dont look back with regret move forward with a new plan and great memories to be proud of.

Wally, thanks for words--"don't be afraid of taking the edge off depression with some happy pills--if the balance is out of whack."
I'm there as well as others in the membership..
Cheers--Jaros :/

i hear ya yobskin, my old man retired early cause of spondulosis and my spine is the same. im a tiler and the only way i can work is medication cause the constant bent over agitates the pinching of the nerve. i can tell you that for me swinging a pick and shoveling a highbanker doesnt effect it so i hope its the same for you. :cool:

i did a bit of longlining years ago and biggest broadys were only around 150kgs out off S.E Qld, a 680kg broady would have been a horse ey...few and far between these days?

20xwater said:
i hear ya yobskin, my old man retired early cause of spondulosis and my spine is the same. im a tiler and the only way i can work is medication cause the constant bent over agitates the pinching of the nerve. i can tell you that for me swinging a pick and shoveling a highbanker doesnt effect it so i hope its the same for you. :cool:

i did a bit of longlining years ago and biggest broadys were only around 150kgs out off S.E Qld, a 680kg broady would have been a horse ey...few and far between these days?

I stopped longlining the coralsea when they were coming in that small ....i was there in the begining and watch the decline over 18 years my factory had 112 vessels feeding it plus the rest of the nsw fleets rapping it my last trip was the first trip we didnt make pay. :8

Thanx to everyone im looking foward to the future as many have paved the path before me. This forum keeps me laughing/motivated to keep the good times coming :D
I cooked 30 hotdogs for my boys 5th bday today !!! stoyve i got way to many im guna look like one by next week ;) .

Mate thanks for sharing your story, You should think about making the best filleting knife in the world ;) ,Made by the best fillet in the world ;)
Im always in support of someone thats has on go, I have battled with depression myself, your story is inspiring to all,be true to yourself and remember the goods things in life.

Cheers
Ryan

Latest posts