Yandoit Alluvial Gold - Metal Detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say g'day... I'm also new to gold prospecting so I appreciate everybods patience with 'dumb questions'.

Just wondering if anyone has ever detected around Yandoit, Victoria? I've heard it was quite a rich field but don't often hear much about people working it... any thoughts?

Hi Oz Gold, I'm new to this forum & gold prospecting too. I have a GPX 5000 that I hardly know how to use. Never been to Yandoit but you never know your luck!
Where abouts in Vic are you? I have tried other areas but no luck as of yet. Good luck with it all!

OG, I haven't been there yet either but I got a gold map for Yandoit by Doug Stone a few weeks ago. If you check out the range of maps, ther are lots to choose from and maybe in your area too. Shows all the od workings.....probably the best place to start. Maps are about $15.00 from Miners Den in Mitcham road, Vic or any of the other Dens as well.

Yep good gold out there try Moonlight lead off Yandoit track, tracks are a bit rough, gully steep but there is gold out there. I will try and dig up a photo of the gold only small stuff also Old German reef is well worth a look.
cheers DB

Welcome Oz_Gold, get to a library and see if they have a set of Gold and Ghosts by D.W.de Havelland there are 4 Volumes one of them will cover that area. Wealth of information in these. They are also as rare as hens teeth to find. The library won't lend it out but will let you photocopy a couple of chapters. Hope it helps :D

Hi OG,
Library is always a good source of info but in this case the G & G books won't help, they only cover WA & Qld.
Look for History of Gold in Vic by Flett, by a map or two or use GeoVic, you'll find them all helpful and a search of the forum will turn up many references to them.
Good Luck, Tom

here's a photo of Yandoit gold Moonlight lead the bottom 2 are from Old German Lead.
With coin for size comparison
1403088500_yandoit_gold.jpg

Cheers DB

gcause said:
Welcome Oz_Gold, get to a library and see if they have a set of Gold and Ghosts by D.W.de Havelland there are 4 Volumes one of them will cover that area. Wealth of information in these. They are also as rare as hens teeth to find. The library won't lend it out but will let you photocopy a couple of chapters. Hope it helps :D

hey mate those books dont have any reference to Victoria certainly not yandoit. FYI

Teemore said:
Hi OG,
Library is always a good source of info but in this case the G & G books won't help, they only cover WA & Qld.
Look for History of Gold in Vic by Flett, by a map or two or use GeoVic, you'll find them all helpful and a search of the forum will turn up many references to them.
Good Luck, Tom

I have the book you mentioned. Happy to share info on the area if anyone is interested.

G0lddigg@ said:
many have don well out yandoit like anywhere you just have to spend some time at it.

So true - the thing that sucks is I don't have the cash to buy a detector (I'd love a GPX5000) so, for the time being, I'm stuck hiring one and then that in itself can get expensive! if I had my own I could easily wander around and be systematic about my detecting... maybe I'll find a decent nugget first run (yeah right) that will let me get a machine lol.

The best price Ive found for the GPX5000 to hire is at Maryborough (Coiltek) anyone know of any other options? I've even thought about getting a group of mates togethr and going shares in one...

OzGold... You can correct me if I am wrong ... but I believe that you no longer can hire a GPX5000 from either Coiltek Maryborough or at Dunolly.. reason being that a short time ago both places lost rental 5000's to low life who hired them and then disappeared.

I heard this at Coiltek 2 months ago....

sad and true........ you can hire from e e day and sons in Ballarat, same thing happened to them two years back but nowthey charge your card and refund it upon return.

Yandoit is a great spot, I found my very first nugget there.

IF travelling from Melbourne drive to Newstead via the Calder, drive through town first left after the bridge onto the Daylesford-Newstead road, Veer right at strangways, then right on Remseys lane follow that for about 1.5 kms ( theres a sharp left hand bend at the top of the track) and you find yourself in the middle of the diggings. Just park off the track and look for all the mullock heaps and water channels.

Good Luck out there. Just drop those details into google maps. Hint: Tap the google earth icon and the map shows a satellite view. The diggings are clearly visible.

hi beagleboy
How do I send u my email for info on yandoit? Cheers sharon
Beagleboy said:
Oz_Gold said:
Beagleboy said:
I have the book you mentioned. Happy to share info on the area if anyone is interested.

I'd love the info if you can share... thank you!

Once you can, pm me your email address and I will send it to you.

Latest posts