Yambulla NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I'm after some info about the gold at yambulla. I spent the weekend down there doing some crevicing and I got gold but it was very small. Can anyone tell me if there is better gold there than micro dots. I don't want to know where, I'm happy to put in the hard yards to learn and find it myself, just after confirmation that there is better stuff there.

Thanks in advance, Shane.

Very spotty with a chance of good spots.
Please do not prospect near the causeway. It is a reserve.
Above the dam is OK as well.
water is going to be an issue but up in the upper reach's
of Scrubby creek you may do better.
And a few of the other creeks and such in the area.

Thanks Tathradj.

I did make the mistake of working at the causeway, mainly because of the amount of work that had already been done there so it leads you to believe that it is ok. I now know better and won't make the mistake again.
I haven't come across the dam yet but I have an adventurous spirit so I will. :D

I just got caught out in the rain while up on Vimy Ridge walking some ground looking for the old workings up there. There are a lot of small digs right through the area but I didn't find any thing that looked like it had been worked hard. A bit more research and maybe sound out a couple of old locals.

Cheers Shane.

I'm struggling to find scrubby creek on any maps I have. Is it in the general area of the causeway?

Cheers.

It is the creek that runs under the causeway.
Standing on the causeway it is the main one to your left.
Is also called Heathy creek.

A lot of the Vimy Ridge workings are now on Private Property.
They extend from the top of the Gully right through to the River Mouth.
Just be a bit careful as some of them are rather deep and full of water.

Abdiver said:
Thanks Tathradj.

I did make the mistake of working at the causeway, mainly because of the amount of work that had already been done there so it leads you to believe that it is ok. I now know better and won't make the mistake again.
I haven't come across the dam yet but I have an adventurous spirit so I will. :D

I just got caught out in the rain while up on Vimy Ridge walking some ground looking for the old workings up there. There are a lot of small digs right through the area but I didn't find any thing that looked like it had been worked hard. A bit more research and maybe sound out a couple of old locals.

Cheers Shane.

I'm thinking of going out that way for a look again today. Is there still good gold at nelsons?

To answer the original question - the primary gold in veins there was as fine gold enclosed within sulphide minerals such as pyrite, rather than coarser free gold - when they oxidise and the gold is released into the streams it is therefore fine grained in the main. Not a place I would pick.

From Yambulla to Club Terrace there are exposed quartz shoots
with some visible gold in them.

You are right about the amount of sulfides. The miners had a lot of difficulty
processing the ore. When they moved to cyanide things improved.

There was one mine there that reports it had huge nodules of visible gold and
was considered the richest mine in the Southern Hemisphere for around 6 to 8 months.

I know the operator who shut down late 80's and he is a vast wealth of information on
the area. They reworked the tailing heaps and also one of the mines and did quite well
out of it.

There are two area's that I know off that do have very nice shows in a pan.
That I will leave up to the individual to research where they are as it took me a lot of of
ground work and research to find them.

It is a fascinating area geologically.

I'm not usually this up front but bugger it. :argh: So Goldierocks, where would be your pick of river systems, within an hour or so from Tathra that I should check out?

Just home from an exploratory trip to yambulla. Spent most of the day driving and walking tracks and creeks to get a better feel for the place. Found the old mines and stampers which was interesting.

Tathradj, you said to try higher in Scrubby creek, is the theory behind that to get closer to the source in the hope of finding bigger pieces? Did a couple of pans from higher in the creek and did get slightly better results so thanks for that. If you are ever heading down there for a day and would like some company, I would love to come along and pick your brain.

Cheers Shane.

That would be great Doug and very much appreciated. :D
Depending on the weather, I might have to work over the weekend but if not I'll be in touch. What is the best way to get hold of you.

Cheers Shane.

Latest posts