XTerra705 Worth Trying In The Goldfields?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive got the gold pack but dont want to be put off gold detecting with the frustration the 705 may bring. I tried once with prospecting mode but it just constantly made sounds and confused me. But next week I want to go camping up Bendigo and have a go

Lots of people hunt for gold with the Xterra. Do a search on youtube and watch a few vids on what to listen for with the Xterra. Put some of what you learned into practice before you leave and have a play with it up in Bendigo.

Lots of videos and info all over the net.

Biggest laugh is that many are not Australia based and thus what they often promote does not work here...

If you are going to watch any Gold type videos, make sure Australian Based and done by some one that has experience and or well known.

If I was serious about hunting the yellow stuff, start with and SDC2300 and then move up...

You play with the low end stuff, then that is great for the rest of us :) and will be frustrating for you. But if you stub your toe on a lump; half ya luck as that is what first timers usually do.

Never detected anywhere in VIC, but have used the 705 in WA and it was hopeless. Just can't handle highly mineralised ground. Turning the sensitivity right down made it usable, but from memory, it wouldn't even pick up a .2gr on the surface. Sensitivity has to be up fairly high to pick sub gr nuggets up.

Latest posts