Xmas Gold trip suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning on having a few days away just after Xmas and cant quite decide where to go. I want to try to get away as far as I can from the usual spots I hunt (Ballarat through to Maryborough) and the associated Xmas crowd with their new toys. Unfortunately I dont have the time to travel to WA so I am limited to Victoria.

Any suggestions bearing in mind I only have the 2wd van?

Maybe you should check out Maldon/Castlemaine area mate? Still in the GT but a change from your usual haunts. Gunna be hot though mate, it's already warming up over the divide.

Yeah to be honest 9 hrs is stretching it a bit. Would realistically only give me a few hrs detecting.

I haven't prospected Castlemaine or Maldon so it's certainly an option.

Living in a tourist town, Xmas is a bit of a pain. No parking at shops, people driving at 20kph... the older I get, the less tolerant I get with it all. So I like to get away for a few days.

Wedderburn is another option. Found a few nice bits on the roadside coming in from the eastern end about 5 kms out of town. This time of year you should be able to negotiate most tracks with a 2wd

SteelPat said:
Yeah to be honest 9 hrs is stretching it a bit. Would realistically only give me a few hrs detecting.

I haven't prospected Castlemaine or Maldon so it's certainly an option.

Living in a tourist town, Xmas is a bit of a pain. No parking at shops, people driving at 20kph... the older I get, the less tolerant I get with it all. So I like to get away for a few days.

If these are deemed options, then as close as an additional hour would have you in Bendigo (Whipstick, has camp area), Heathcote, and others for your consideration.

Getting late in the season to be booking accommodations though and many 'free' camping area's fill up. At least around the S/W of Bendigo allows 'bush camping'....

Keep us all informed where ya end up, and more importantly, please post your finds (i don't care where from, i just wanna see it :p )

Gypsy

We have a block of land up at Bendigo (well cousins do anyway) that we all hit at Easter. Has old diggings but they have been all filled with rubbish. The block is bordered by state forest on 3 sides.

But I was looking at trying to get as far away from towns/people as I possibly can (can be a little anti-social at times, esp xmas. lol) while still having a chance at finding gold.

As I have a Vito van, I can just sleep in that so I dont need an official camp site.

Yeah spent a bit of time around there. Found lots of little bits.

I think I just want to try somewhere new. For me its not just finding the gold. I love exploring new areas and finding evidence of earlier prospectors (except all the lead pellets/bullets lol).

We just picked up three little nuggets in an afternoon within a stone's throw of the Welcome Stranger monument. I'm sure there'd be plenty more nearby but you will get a lot of lead and bullet shells :/ We were working on a ratio of about 10:1 and some of them were quite deep but the gold was on top.

How about out around Ampitheatre & Point Hut?

A combination of hilly reefs mixed with deep lead allluvials....best of both worlds and double your chance of a find or two?....Also being in the hills (Point Hut) is well away from the rabble....

Gypsy

If you like greenery n snakes you can trott my way ( east ) or further to thompson or gipsland? Actually..further east won't be nice on the van. Therea some stuff about here though or closeby

Latest posts