Wookiee's treasure

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason the beach is better is obvious to me but I will spell it out for you ... 1000s of people go swimming where their fingers shrink in the water allowing the ring to fall off the hand very easily ... Losing a ring elsewhere is possible/probable but not at the same frequency. Google Gary Drayton ... He finds gold on the beaches in Florida with more regularity than we find silver ... Met Goldpick at one of our hangouts and in two nights we got six rings ... Do that in a park ... No disrespect to Heatho or any other turf hunters ... Gold is where you find it ... Just trying to give the newbies a leg up ... Nobody told me I had to find out the hard way ;)

spatch said:
OK, newbie here too, also with the 705 dual pack.

Would I go any better with the Doube D 'Gold' coil at the beach?
Would it still pick up coins as well?
Hi Spatch

In my opinion I don't think it will ... The detectors we use at the beach use a different technology ... BBS, FBS, PI, these are all different signal technologies that do well in salt water and wet sand, and are good at auto balancing between wet/dry without having to manually balance the detector allowing for seamless detecting in and out of the water. Changing the coil doesn't change the signal technology of the machine.

Paulmarr said:
The proven beach detectors are mostly Minelab and Garrett - Sovereign, Explorer, Excalibur, CTX 3030, AT Pro, etc ... We have owned a 705 which is great for turf but doesn't like salt water- as it falses too much and can't auto balance from dry to wet sand ... When you progress in your detecting to the point that the machine is holding you back then have a good think about getting one of the above listed machines and your beach luck will change. It also is a case of you get what you pay for ... Cheaper detectors are a false economy especially if you believe time is money ... I came to the conclusion my spare time is valuable so if I am detecting I want to find the treasure others walk over because their machine is not capable ... I'm sure regular beach hunters will agree!

Were you using tracking at the beach with the 705?
I have a couple of mates who do exceptionally well on beaches down south with the 705. They run it in tracking mode to find targets then swap back to normal once they get a hit.

What coil were you using?

Also the Beach mode is supposed to auto track continually from what I have read on the 705 anyway?

spatch said:
OK, newbie here too, also with the 705 dual pack.

Would I go any better with the Doube D 'Gold' coil at the beach?
Would it still pick up coins as well?

From what I have read and watched on Youtube spatch people prefer the 18.5 DD on the beach compared to the stock concentric 7.5.
Something to do with higher mineralisation on the beach.
(I am a newb so research for yourself and make up your own mind)

Not trying to contradict anything Paulmarr says. Just what I have read on numerous sites/forums. :)

Paulmarr said:
The reason the beach is better is obvious to me but I will spell it out for you ... 1000s of people go swimming where their fingers shrink in the water allowing the ring to fall off the hand very easily ... Losing a ring elsewhere is possible/probable but not at the same frequency. Google Gary Drayton ... He finds gold on the beaches in Florida with more regularity than we find silver ... Met Goldpick at one of our hangouts and in two nights we got six rings ... Do that in a park ... No disrespect to Heatho or any other turf hunters ... Gold is where you find it ... Just trying to give the newbies a leg up ... Nobody told me I had to find out the hard way ;)

I agree with you Paul and will be hitting the beaches around here more soon. The type of sand around here is very soft and very deep and as soon as someone drops a ring it is gone.

There are quite a few detectorists that hit the beaches around here but seem to have left the parks alone, which has been awesome for me but finds are thinning out on the parks so the beaches are next on my hit list.

You always give some great info and the newbies should certainly take it on board.

Detecting with a vlf just gets a bit tricky moving from dry to wet, or in the actual water itself. Most vlf's don't fare too well in the latter areas, and although you can get the ground balance to quieten things down to a usuable state, it will often come with a sizeable drop in depth capability. Don't rely on the ground balance alone, as you will need to have a play around with the sensitivity setting to help reduce falsing - don't be afraid to drop it by a fair bit if necessary. Also remember that the 18.75kHz eliptical gold coil is not waterproof, so don't submerse it in water.

If you want to detect the wet sand, best to run parallel to the beach so you are not constantly transitioning from dry to wet, and back again. Also running with the coil an inch or so off the surface will reduce the amount of falsing.

Whilst I quite enjoy running a vlf on the beach, mainly for the more recently dropped finds, you do have to be careful when heading towards the wet sand, as although it may be dry on the surface, dig down a little and you may find it is quite wet underneath. This is where you start to get those "ghost" signals that disappear upon excavation of the hole, in those circumstances you should start to think about dropping the sensitivity back to reduce falsing, and only dig repeatable tones.

Whilst I prefer my more capable Etrac for wet sand/water detecting, I have probably found more spendables on the beach over time using a vlf, mainly from gridding up the dry sand where people had frequented the area during the day. A vlf is quicker to swing, and you can generally cover more ground to maximise recovery of targets vs the heavier multi-frequency detector which require a slower swing speed. Gridding is the key to finding a good bag full of coins. Pick out a well frequented area and drag your foot or shovel in the sand so you can see where you have already detected, this will ensure that you won't miss any targets vs randomly detecting all over the place. Spend a little time earlier in the day to see where a majority of people gather on the beach, this will give you a good starting point for your gridding.

Make the best of what you have, and I'm sure you will manage to come up with some good finds. :)

Thanks for the info Goldpick. :)

Went out this morning with a mate and his Sovereign XS2A Pro and noticed there is a change in tone if you go from wet sand to dry sand on the beach.
Guessing this is caused by the same thing you mentioned above?

Found $18 in goldies and an earring in the wet sand and about 20 pull tabs in the dry plus a few 50c pieces. Were only down there an hour and a half. The scenery is quite good in the mornings as well, joggers etc..... ;)

Wookiee said:
I Also found this which sounds like it has some good advice for using the 705 on beaches:

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/74679/Beachcombing with the Minelab X-TERRA 705.pdf
Not discounting your theory mate but minelab will tell you the eureka will find gold as well. The difference between if a machine can do it and whether it does it well can be night and day. The company is there to tell you whatever it needs you to hear to buy and use the machine.
Anyway can't hurt to give it a good go and see what comes out though right? Good to see another bloke out there having a swing, look forward to seeing what you get. There's a whole world of lost treasures out there just waiting for you to pick them up!

Good point Goldtarget.
I will see how the 705 goes on the beach. My mate has a Sovereign XS2A Pro and we will be hunting together and from what I have read the XS2A does ok on the beaches. I will do some checking on his targets and see how mine does.

As long as I can find the old goldie at the beach I will be stoked. :D

Parks might be an issue here as apparently the Ranger is a full blown Hitler type. I will see how I go though :)

That should have read:

As long as I can find the odd goldie at the beach I will be stoked.

Of course finding a pre dec goldie would be even better ;)

Ranger, old PD goldies,.....sounding like a special kind of sandgroper adventure in the making here,....can't wait to see the photo shoot on this one. :eek:

It's been a while but as Paul has intimated they used a 705 for a while. If memory serves sabogan did a 705 overview for beach settings on YouTube. As those guys hunted the beaches for a while with that it might be worth chasing that video down and seeing what's on offer.

I wish I had a beach to hit, about 2 hour drive to the closest one.

I watched SA-Bogan's video on Youtube. I will follow his advice and see what I come up with.
Only real drama with the beaches here is they are huge. Miles of ground to cover.

My mate and I went to the beach today, but only came back with about $6, a swimming medal, dog tag and a crapload of ringpulls and bottle lids. Fair bit of canslaw too.

There was a big Surf Lifesaving event on today so might go have a hunt around tomorrow morning and see what I can dig up.

Hi Wookiee ... SA. Bogan is my son so that is how I know about the 705 - we did give it a big bash including a 15 inch WOT coil and it did find coins but that was about it ... I had an Ace350 ... We changed them to an Excalibur and a Sovereign GT and havent looked back ... The gold started flowing within a day of swapping detectors.

Yes ... The beach is a vast area to cover ... So vast you can't cover it all ... And every high and low tide it's a brand new surface to search! You now need to put in the time of discovering where the likely treasure holding areas are in each location. Once we got good at it we find the gold rings usually within 30 minutes or so of arriving ... why/how? Experience at that location (I found it there before) and knowing the signs to look for. You can read until your eyes fall out ... There is no substitute for putting in the hours. I can say it took Team Bogan about 100 hours of detecting before we could regularly find treasure on the beach but now within a couple of minutes we can hone in on where the goodies are buried. There is just as much in the water as there is on the sand ... Most detectorists don't want to get wet or don't give areas in the shallows a go and we have found many a target there.

Here is a tip for you ... Most of the gold we have found is less than 6-8 inches under the sand ... If you have to dig to China on the beach 98% of the time it is trash! a can or occasionally a 50 piece .... good luck!

Latest posts