Wookiee's treasure

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to detecting and the forum.
I have an X-Terra 705 dual pack on the way , but a mate was kind enough to give me a quick lesson this morning using his Sovereign XS2A Pro on the beach. He then leant it to me to have a play around in my yard for the day.

At the beach we dug up roughly 10 stubby lids, 10 modern ring pulls, 2 old school pull tabs, 4 fishing hooks, 3 sinkers, 2 bobby pins, 10c coin and some misc bits of aluminium cans.

We searched a playground at a local park and found 5c so we think someone has run a detector over it recently.

I then took the detector home when he went to work and i found 3 1c coins a 2c a 50c and a handful of clothes peg springs.

Not going to be able to retire on all that, but i enjoyed it immensely. Cant wait to get out there and do it again.

Heatho said:
I hate bobby pins. :(

:D

My first ever target was a bobby pin..... followed by another one hahahahaha.
My mate reckons: "*Expletive* bobby pins!"

rocketroo: The peg springs sounded very similar (to my untrained ears at least) to the 1 and 2c pieces. I found the coins before I found all the springs so every time I got a hit I was hoping it was more coinage, but was another spring haha.

goldwright and nucopia: I can see why it gets addictive. The anticipation every time you get a hit is a rush :)

1452154698_20160107_104230.jpg

Was almost going to say the old phrase no photo it didn't happen ;) , your hooked now :cool:

Edit: those sinkers are worth more than the coins believe it or not :)

Havinago said:
Was almost going to say the old phrase no photo it didn't happen ;) , your hooked now :cool:

Edit: those sinkers are worth more than the coins believe it or not :)

Yeah lead is worth a fair bit at the moment. I work in a mechanical workshop and we take car batteries to get recycled a couple of times a year and a small trailer load of car batteries fetches a few hundred bucks usually. If you ever come across any while out and about pick them up and cash them in.

Yep totally hooked :D

Can't wait to hit the beaches again in the next day or so. :cool:

Going to have to buy some gloves tho. Not keen to be pulling anymore fishing hooks out of the ground with bare hands. :(

Hit the turf mate hit the turf thats where its at ;) , just learn how to retrieve correctly if you dont already know how :cool:, most i ever found at beach $4.50, most found on turf i think it was $33 ;)

Havinago said:
Hit the turf mate hit the turf thats where its at ;) , just learn how to retrieve correctly if you dont already know how :cool:, most i ever found at beach $4.50, most found on turf i think it was $33 ;)

I hear ya mate. We had no luck at a park in the sand where the playground equipment was, but walking back to the cars we got a few good sounding targets on the grass, but didnt have any digging equipment capable of cutting plugs etc.
Also need to get me a pinpointer. I reckon they would save a lot of time.

Havinago said:
Last year we found 30 plus
Rings / 23 of them gold on the beach - I challenge anyone to find gold rings in the turf on a regular basis ... If you like coins/relics then turf it is ... But I like gold more and the beach is where you find it! For those detectorists who don't find a lot on the beach ... You either need a better detector, or learn where on the beach the gold is hiding ... If you like a lot of one and two cent coins then hang out in the turf! ;)

I love gold but im yet to find it ;), I think a PI would be better on the beach :cool:

The proven beach detectors are mostly Minelab and Garrett - Sovereign, Explorer, Excalibur, CTX 3030, AT Pro, etc ... We have owned a 705 which is great for turf but doesn't like salt water- as it falses too much and can't auto balance from dry to wet sand ... When you progress in your detecting to the point that the machine is holding you back then have a good think about getting one of the above listed machines and your beach luck will change. It also is a case of you get what you pay for ... Cheaper detectors are a false economy especially if you believe time is money ... I came to the conclusion my spare time is valuable so if I am detecting I want to find the treasure others walk over because their machine is not capable ... I'm sure regular beach hunters will agree!

Paulmarr said:
Havinago said:
Last year we found 30 plus
Rings / 23 of them gold on the beach - I challenge anyone to find gold rings in the turf on a regular basis ... If you like coins/relics then turf it is ... But I like gold more and the beach is where you find it! For those detectorists who don't find a lot on the beach ... You either need a better detector, or learn where on the beach the gold is hiding ... If you like a lot of one and two cent coins then hang out in the turf! ;)

Over the last year I found over 30 rings too. 20 Sterling, 2 Gold, the rest junkers. Could have just as easilly been 20 gold and none were from a beach.

Though yeah, get onto heavy coins, sinkers and silver or gold at a beach in the tidal zone and there will surely be more nearby, I agree there.

Still plenty to be had in the parks though. Just not much left at the main parks I've been hitting though, hmmm overdue for a Silver ring. Hopefully more gold soon too.

You guys did great on the gold last year. :)

OK, newbie here too, also with the 705 dual pack.

Would I go any better with the Doube D 'Gold' coil at the beach?
Would it still pick up coins as well?

Latest posts