Wild animals approaching you (with their babies)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all,
I thought I would share a few photo's (apologies for crappy phone) of a mother duck and her young coming literally right to my feet whilst panning at one of my local haunts.
Having lived most of my life in the bush I can't remember another time when a wild animal was so unconcerned by my presence that it would bring its young anywhere near me.
Has anyone else has had this sort of experience?

1434365762_duck_1.jpg

1434365762_duck_2.jpg

1434365762_duck_3.jpg

1434365762_duck_4.jpg

1434365829_duck_5.jpg

1434365829_duck_6.jpg

1434365829_duck_7.jpg

P.S. Didn't find any "AU" but found gold that day!!! :cool:

Cheers,
Billy.

Hay Billy,
It might be a case of you being the lesser of two evils.
They may have been stalked by either a cat or a fox. Or a proud Mum just wanted to show off the Kids.
Nice picks.

backcreek said:
Hay Billy,
It might be a case of you being the lesser of two evils.
They may have been stalked by either a cat or a fox. Or a proud Mum just wanted to show off the Kids.
Nice picks.

Hi backcreek, thanks mate.
They didn't show signs of being distressed so reckon its the latter.
It probably took 20 minutes from first seeing them to when they departed and they just poked around the creek and looked most relaxed. (like me ha ha)
I just wished I had my decent slr camera on me but ain't it always the way!!
Cheers,
Billy.

PabloP said:
Great pics Billy. Perhaps this was her favourite water hole and you just blended in to the site like you were meant to be there. No shower in a few days can do that. LOL.

Rob.

Ha ha Rob could you smell me from there? :D
You could be right on both counts as that creek rarely has much water in it but they also didn't look in poor condition.
It felt like she was just teaching them a few thing in their first couple of days of being out of the egg.
Maybe that a smelly prospector is ok to hang around with if you are a duck ha ha :D

Cheers,
Billy.

Grouse Billy.....Its their fave waterhole and the mum knows where to bring the kids each day for a waddle.

It just happened you were there at that time, and she obviously trusted you to bring the kids out.

Fantastic to be at the point where nature really shows her true colors.

Awesome stuff mate ;)

This happens to me a lot with roos and wallabies.

It makes me feel kinda special when it happens lol.
Some cool pics Billy.

Prospecting the creek on our family property, I have frequent encounters with wildlife: roos, goats, ducks, snakes and the odd feral pig and fox.

Last summer, I was HB'ing one spot when I heard some loud splashing about 20m away - a feral pig had jumped into my creek pool to cool down. After a stare-down, the pig scarpered off back into the bush; only to return an hour later to the same spot for another dip.

Then last month, I was sampling a spot where there is well-used creek crossing for stock and wildlife. As I am panning away, there was procession of at least 120 roos jumping down the bank and into the creek right next to me. Just about every one of them got the surprise of their life to see some strange human right there and then.

Scariest encounter was with a brown snake. I had left all my gear by the side of the creek to get some lunch back at the campsite. On my return, I was about to pick up my shovel when I noticed a large brown snake stretched out along the length of my crowbar, soaking up the warmth it was giving off in the sun. Good thing I wanted the shovel and not the crowbar.

Ah, the joys of the great outdoors!

[PS. No animals are harmed in my gold pursuits - I let them be, and they let me do my thing. Except for leeches - they get the full extent of my wrath]

I wonder how many greenies get to see this marvel, we see an enormous amount of wildlife all the time out there, just gotta be aware of your surrounds and listen, look and observe.
Love the ducks they are great.
Cheers
Brad

Beautiful pics. Perhaps mother duck has lost some of it's natural instincts. Ducklings in the middle of winter is unusual

I reckon its great when the old diggings actually help to create a habitat for the local wildlife.

Was quite surprised when i stumbled across a swallows nest last year, built up under the roof of this tunnel entrance....keeps the bub's out of the wind and rain!

28i94x0.jpg

1tk18k.jpg

Latest posts