Whites SPP Sweep Speed.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziii

Paul
Reaction score
I'm trying to work out what sort of sweep speed I should be using, I often hear & read people saying "low & slow" & have been told the Whites detectors like the SPP we have should be used with a slower sweep speed than other detectors, but when looking at video's it seems people are sweeping reasonably fast, well faster than I thought would be ideal anyway.
We have been sweeping very slowly, but maybe we are going to slow, so how do I work out what the ideal sweep speed is & should it be adjusted for different coils & different area's.
Also, should the sweep speed be adjusted if the conductivity switch is fitted & switching between low, all or high.

Thanks.
Paul.

ozziii said:
I'm trying to work out what sort of sweep speed I should be using, I often hear & read people saying "low & slow" & have been told the Whites detectors like the SPP we have should be used with a slower sweep speed than other detectors, but when looking at video's it seems people are sweeping reasonably fast, well faster than I thought would be ideal anyway.
We have been sweeping very slowly, but maybe we are going to slow, so how do I work out what the ideal sweep speed is & should it be adjusted for different coils & different area's.
Also, should the sweep speed be adjusted if the conductivity switch is fitted & switching between low, all or high.

Thanks.
Paul.

Ok, If you turn on your machine and wave items over the coil at different speeds and pick the one that gives the best signal at the furthest distance, Or count the seconds when you sweep Try 3 to 4 seconds from left to right and see how that goes, Slower is better for deep or small targets, Adjust your sweep speed to suit the coil you are using and to how hot the ground is, Sometimes if the ground is hot you may have to lower your gain and go slower due to the ground being extremely hot, bigger coils means slower speeds depending on what you are trying to do, Ok

Good Luck,, john

Thanks John, sounds like we may be going way to slow, probably taking 6-8 seconds from left to right, will try out a bit faster swing speed & see how that goes next time I detect a target before digging it up.

Thanks again.
Paul.

ozziii said:
Thanks John, sounds like we may be going way to slow, probably taking 6-8 seconds from left to right, will try out a bit faster swing speed & see how that goes next time I detect a target before digging it up.

Thanks again.
Paul.

you can do that but what happens is the Auto tune on the machines might tune out the target so it is best to sweep past the target and give it time to settle on the ground again, It is not Auto Tracking, But it does compensate for what is under the Coil, I think that any faster than 3 seconds you might loose depth and small Targets, But a lot depends on the ground so try it with a tiny target on the ground you are going to detect and see what works the best and do that when ever you go to a new place until you get use to it, ok

john

It will really depend on the ground you are covering and the targets you are seeking.

If you are in the local park looking for coins etc then you could increase your swing a little.

If you are in the gold fields, hot ground, small targets, then slow is the go.

Too fast and you will miss small targets.

I havent used the Whites machine but I know with both my machines, I cant go slow enough on the goldfields.

My swing would be a little more than 1 metre, maybe 1.3m. I will do some testing but it seems we are going to slow for most situations.
Just fitted conductivity switch so might have to go for a drive & test some thing out.

Thanks for your help, might get to cover a little more ground now,haha.

ozziii said:
My swing would be a little more than 1 metre, maybe 1.3m. I will do some testing but it seems we are going to slow for most situations.
Just fitted conductivity switch so might have to go for a drive & test some thing out.

Thanks for your help, might get to cover a little more ground now,haha.

If you have a 2 meter sweep area when you swing the detector you need to cover that swing area in about 3 to 4 seconds any faster and you will miss a lot of things in the ground, When you practice it Go 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 but each number must account for ONE second,

Thanks RR, I'll give that a go, sweep would be under 2m though so will have to just try out some different sweep speeds as you say, atleast then it will give me a good idea o whats needed.

Thanks Dazza, already subscribed to your youtube channel, can't remember watching that video though, must have forgot about it.
Looks to be a little faster than I have been sweeping, but I tried some different sweep speeds today & done ok, seems I can sweep slightly faster & still pick up small stuff, then if I hear something then do some slow sweeps, seemed to work.

ozziii said:
Thanks Dazza, already subscribed to your youtube channel, can't remember watching that video though, must have forgot about it.
Looks to be a little faster than I have been sweeping, but I tried some different sweep speeds today & done ok, seems I can sweep slightly faster & still pick up small stuff, then if I hear something then do some slow sweeps, seemed to work.

Yep that style of sweep worked for me as well though watch out when the battery is down abit after 2-3 hours, as I found I had to stay really focused and slow my sweep speed as the little whine noise that would initially catch my attention would disappear making it easy to pass tiny targets.

dazza513 said:
ozziii said:

Yep that style of sweep worked for me as well though watch out when the battery is down abit after 2-3 hours, as I found I had to stay really focused and slow my sweep speed as the little whine noise that would initially catch my attention would disappear making it easy to pass tiny targets.

Ok I'll keep an eye on how long I have been using a set of batteries for, although when I go detecting its normally only for a couple of hours at a time as I can't be on my feet too long before the pain sets in, 2 hours is about the max if I take it easy.
I reckon I might stock up on some alkaline batteries as then I can use them for a few hours then change them over without it costing a huge amount, that will do the job ok until I get a rechargeable pack made up. Even a few packs of the Aldi brand AA's would work ok for a few hours, will have to try them out.

I go like a bat out of hell,... but that's using a Garrettt (Ace250),... but then again,... maybe i've been missing things,....Nah only joking(I don't miss anything). ;)

All metal mode is great for testing sweep speed, it lets you know what speed you need, to prevent missing targets.

Latest posts