Whites SPP or minelab 705

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey ppl love the site have been intrigued with metal/gold detecting since I was a little kid 30+ years ago now! I have never prospected before let alone held a detector :/

Ive been researching and have a rough budget in mind upto 1k

Im located on the peninsula in Melbourne
And would need to drive a fair way to find gold which would be the main focus, but on the other hand finding old relics locally would be cool too!

Im tossing up between the minelab 705 dual metal or gold pack from anaconda as they seem well priced
Or trying to find a whites SPP 2nd hand

What do you great folk think?
Or is there anything currently on ebay worth having a crack at?

Many thanks :)

If you choose 705 don't waste money dual pack. 10x5 DD gold coil will serve you well for coin shooting and prospecting. 8 inch Concentric coil is not that good.
SPP's standard 12 inch coil is good for the beach, but not so good for prospecting.
Karl

If your only chasing gold go the SPP they do work quite well and smooth, but if you want to go detecting for coins and treasure also' Get the 705.

Hey Karl,
Thanks appreciate your reply.
Would you suggest a different brand/model for around the max $1200
Or is the 705 worth it for 650$

705 is definitely worth the money. Look at it this way. How many times a year are you going to drive to the gold fields. If often, get SPP. If only few times a year, get 705. You can use it daily in the parks and sports fields and you stil have chance to find gold with it.
SPP is more of gold detector. It will find the coin as well, but it won't be that easy as with 705.
$650 is good price for 705, l paid 700 for mine secondhand, couple years ago.
Karl

Thanks Karl,
Have decided on the 705.

Can coils be bought after market ?
Ie better ones?

Or would it serve no purpose?

You can buy bigger coils, to go deeper, different frequency ones, use minelab, or coiltek coils.

Yeah wolf they are what I was referring to in my first post :)

which 1 would you guys select?

gold pack
dual
standard?

I bought the gold pack, from what I read, the eliptical coil was pretty much going to do everything I wanted....without being submersed of course. With the money your saving, buy a pinpointer :)

Re pin pointer - Message angermanagement who
might have one For sale.

I own 2 a garrett and a vibraprobe 580.

Angermanagement has new deteknix pinpointers, starting around 140ish, which is the best value for money. Guys here use them, I do, it works great.

Thank guys will hit him up now

Thanks for the great help
Appreciate it.

Hopefully i enjoy the hobby then can get onto a nice gold specific detector!

rocketaroo said:
Angermanagement has new deteknix pinpointers, starting around 140ish, which is the best value for money. Guys here use them, I do, it works great.

He may have cheapier used models as well.

Latest posts