Whites MXT Pro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boys and I got a gmt on the weekend ,it's gonna be the truck detector ,for when I've got the odd bit of time spare on the way home ,I'll use it mostly for checking out reef workings and bedrock crevices interesting sidecuts and the like .
Should be good for building up some skill .

Thanks Gold Diver, I'll order the book and give it a good read and hopefully get the most out of the detector.

No Problem Pete.

There is so much more to this detector than what you read on the VDI.
There are many startup procedures that can have you ahead of the others in the field.

Jeff Fosters book is one of the best detector books I have read, and I am a Minelab man through&through.
I have no affiliation with anyone, just think the MXT is a great tool that compliments my needs.

If your over in WA Pete, look me up, happy to go out with other MXTers.

GD

There is an interesting quirk in the mxt pro and that is you can have tones in the prospecting mode. Now this seems like a very handy think, especially for relic hunting. :)

Gold Diver said:
No Problem Pete.

There are many startup procedures that can have you ahead of the others in the field.

Jeff Fosters book is one of the best detector books I have read, and I am a Minelab man through&through.
I have no affiliation with anyone, just think the MXT is a great tool that compliments my needs.

GD
Just ordered it and looking forward to finding out the ins & outs of the MXT, thanks again for the recommendation and hopefully I'll get time to start experimenting more with it shortly.

hi everyone looking to purchase my first metal detecter looking at a second hand whites mxt pro how good of a detecter is this for gold detecting does it have a waterproof coil looking for all the help i can get i have around $1000 to spend

Have a look though all the recent posts as the MXT has been covered many times.
Personally you can't get better than the whites SPP for the price @ $1250

Northoz said:
There is a as new SPP on Gumtree,I nearly grabbed it myself
This is the SPP on Gumtree - the advert heading makes it a bit difficult to find: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/talb...-pro-22months-warranty-headphones-/1059642550

Another choice would be a Garrett Infinium, especially if a wholly-waterproof machine is a plus factor. There was a good-sounding one on Gumtree earlier this week for just $700, but it's been snapped up. There's others still listed, but they want too much for them IMHO.

ProspectorPete said:
Gold Diver said:
No Problem Pete.

GD
Just ordered it and looking forward to finding out the ins & outs of the MXT, thanks again for the recommendation and hopefully I'll get time to start experimenting more with it shortly.

Pete, If you need any help with the MXT I have over A 2000 hours on that machine So Don't hesitate to call,

Good Luck and Have Fun,

John

Thanks John, I've been to busy of late to get out detecting but I finally just finished reading Jeff Fosters book the MXT Edge and now keen to find some time to try it in the GT soon on the right weekend. If I have any queries I'll definitely pick you brains about it.
Thanks again
Pete

ProspectorPete said:
Thanks John, I've been to busy of late to get out detecting but I finally just finished reading Jeff Fosters book the MXT Edge and now keen to find some time to try it in the GT soon on the right weekend. If I have any queries I'll definitely pick you brains about it.
Thanks again
Pete

Good One Mate, Any Time, That book is Great But Some of it goes Over ya Head, Prospecting mode is Good and in Junk filled sites use The Relic mode with the Disc setting between 1 and 2, I use it at 1.8, you get a slower S.A.T. speed in Relic Than you do in C/J which means you Can Run The Gain Up Higher when your ready

Have Fun and Be Lucky,

Happy New Year Pete to you and ya Clan

I've been itching to get out for a proper detect and I have an RDO coming up next week, if the weather is favourable I'd like to get out for my first swing for gold so I'll head to a tailing pile at an old mine I know of, the tailings appears to be untouched although very overgrown in spots.
My question is which coil would be best suited for this situation?
I have the Whites 300 LTD mono as well as the Eclipse 10x6" DD

ProspectorPete said:
I've been itching to get out for a proper detect and I have an RDO coming up next week, if the weather is favourable I'd like to get out for my first swing for gold so I'll head to a tailing pile at an old mine I know of, the tailings appears to be untouched although very overgrown in spots.
My question is which coil would be best suited for this situation?
I have the Whites 300 LTD mono as well as the Eclipse 10x6" DD

G'day Pete, I have tested the 300/12" coil with one of my test pieces and it weighs 0.13 grams OR 0.004 ozt OR 2.2 grains, and both of them coils picked it up when it was waved within 5mm of the coil, but for in and around rocks I'd go with the 6x10 Coz hitting big clumps of weeds and shrubs will drive ya Nuts, I have seen coins come out with the 6x10 from around the 10 inch mark (250mm) my favourite Whites Coil is the older 950 Coil and next to that the modern version which is the 9'5, concentrics, But if I am on a mission I always try and use the 12/300 FIRST, set up right it will Air Test 28 inches on a Zippo Lighter,

If the ground is hot (mineralized) Go with the 6x10, if you get a Ground Reading of 50 TO 69+/- then use the concentrics, above that go with the DD's.

hope this helps,

Pete, you have 4 basic ring pull types and they come up from a VDI of 12 to about 26+ So really you have to dig them, So when you are in the prospect mode flick it into Relic and check the VDI's, Some gold might even come up between 40-50% Iron because of the Type of Ground, Hence why I use the Relic Mode and when I find a Target I move the DISC from 1.8 to about 2.7-8 and see what the sign does but by doing that it will knock out fine gold so Once I have checked it I put it back to 1.8 - 1.9,

Theres a Third Tone I will tell you about when you get back which will ADD 50% more Depth, Ok.

Good Luck Mate and Have fun,,, john

Thanks John, that's a great help for sure. I'll take both coils, TRX pinpointer, The MXT Edge book (as backup) and a copy of your tips and try to spend a few hours on each coil if I can to get to know them better. In the local parks both coils have no problem picking up targets and trash at good depth on all 3 settings but I'm hoping there's a lack of trash at this mine.
I don't have any test pieces of gold so is it a good idea to get out my container of small fishing splitshot to use instead? I've got various sizes so I guess if I'm picking up the smallest shot then it'll put me in the ball park if I put the coil over any gold of similar size and depth.
Once again, I appreciate the pointers.

Pete, I have used that 12/300 in the most Iron infested sites in the EU and found 3 items of Gold in One Sweep Of The Coil In and Area that has been used as A Local Test Area For Every Metal Detector made in the Last 47 years and I found more Roman stuff in One week than I found in 6 years in the same field.

What I am saying is Just because its Big or Junk filled site Don't Right it Off, when the signal is the loudest the Item is right in the middle of the 12" Coil, and being a Concentric NOT a mono It wont be effected by EMI where a DD will,

It,s better than you think, Don't try to Hard and relax and trust the Machine, if the item is within 6 to 8 inches or big enough, IE coins etc it will tell you the truth.

Good Luck,, john

PS, The Book is Good but take most of it with a pinch of salt until you are at ease with the machine, Then you can Identify with what he is talking about, Ok

Thanks mate, I'm really just hoping to have a fun day out and get to know the machine/coils better and with your tips it'll give me a big head start, with some luck I may uncover a target.
I'll report back on how I go.

Thanks again, Pete.

Pete, One thing I forgot to warn you about is when two people are using MXTs with the 12/300 coils you need to stay about 200ft / 60/70m apart because they are really powerful machines, Which when it happened to me I laughed because it proved to me just how powerful they are, And I have never seen other detectors do that at such a distance, In Fact when they are about 200ft away you can hear them coming towards you as it starts to pulse and it gets stronger as they come closer.

John

Latest posts