Which scoop at the beach ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok Ive been at the beach and Ive been using my plastic nugget scoop with no holes , only new in the game (7-8weeks) on eBay they have sand scoops full of holes, I get thats a sieve and drops the sand out leaving your find .... so do I dig with it and go nowhere as most of the sand runs back in my hole ....or use the sand scoop just as a sieve digging with my nugget scoop and dropping it in my sand scoop, lol

sand scoops in wet sand still need to be dipped in the water to wash the sand away they are good but a long but small head shovel works that's all I have ever used it works pretty good and you don't need to bend up and down all day also you don't need to bend up and down with a sand scoop either

I just use this bunnings scoop on the beaches, I've tried the plastic shovels and other scoops and much prefer just using these little Fiskars scoops. I find it much faster to remove targets than a shovel or the scoops with holes.

Though if working right on the water line where holes will fill up with water quickly or working in the water you'll need a long handled scoop.

1534196299_f27fdf9f-82d2-4bb5-8baa-8ba3b5f76090.jpg

Geez you must be good Heatho.with all my injuries I have alot of trouble going down and getting up to often..:D :Y:
Large sand scoop you dont even need to bend.Just dig it in once or twice.Sometimes 3 or 4 times if using a Nox :eek: :D :Y:
Check hole every scoop.Once target is out of the hole tip it out and scrape off layer at a time with foot until target located..push sand back in hole with foot..Simples..Cant get much easier than that :Y:

Thanks guys , almost all my finds are at 4 to 8 on a fresh water beach , and although I could do with a sand scoop sometimes mainly for a sieve .
On the other hand Im going to need a caddy to carry everything.....
The first photos I seen of the metal detectorist full of gear dressed up I was thinking omg whats all that about .....and here I am gathering up equipment for every scenario. (Go figure lol)
All Ive found is a cheap ring and $12-$15 in silver and a couple of Goldies of spendable coinage Im hooked.... :Y: after seeing everyone else with there finds
Cant wait to find me a pre-dec coin ...thanks again guys!

I dig 2' down sometimes in the sand :eek: so anything less than my trusty long handled sand scoop would have you wasting valuable time,energy and effort.

I dig one scoop of sand wet or dry then flick and kick the sand out and keep going until :party:

I have used a small hand held shovel/spade/scoops before but it can be hard on your wrist after a while and NOT bending down everytime you dig is the winning formula I reckon.

If you ONLY intend to look and find fresh finds then you could nearly use your hand,but for me ONLY a long handled sand scoop will do :cool:

Hope this helps :Y:

The Scrounger said:
I dig 2' down sometimes in the sand :eek: so anything less than my trusty long handled sand scoop would have you wasting valuable time,energy and effort.

I dig one scoop of sand wet or dry then flick and kick the sand out and keep going until :party:

I have used a small hand held shovel/spade/scoops before but it can be hard on your wrist after a while and NOT bending down everytime you dig is the winning formula I reckon.

If you ONLY intend to look and find fresh finds then you could nearly use your hand,but for me ONLY a long handled sand scoop will do :cool:

Hope this helps :Y:

I totally agree, saves a lot of work.
1534230000_scoop1.jpg

Smoky bandit said:
Geez you must be good Heatho.with all my injuries I have alot of trouble going down and getting up to often..:D :Y:
Large sand scoop you dont even need to bend.Just dig it in once or twice.Sometimes 3 or 4 times if using a Nox :eek: :D :Y:
Check hole every scoop.Once target is out of the hole tip it out and scrape off layer at a time with foot until target located..push sand back in hole with foot..Simples..Cant get much easier than that :Y:

I like the exercise mate. :)

Agree with above long handle scoop way to go
Make sure you have gloves on some nasty things in the sand
Just under the surface

No bending or up and down especially if you are on a good patch
Your knees and back will thank you

Take it easy with the scoop though dont try and move to much sand at once
Especially the wet stuff take it easy its not a token hunt

Latest posts