Where to go next?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, my wife and I have just come back today from poking around the Walcha district and getting a very little (microscopic) pieces of gold, My wife and I have been discussing where we should go next for maybe a few days. So my question Is where out of these three places would yield maybe a little more and size (lol) in your opinion? Nundle, Uralla, or the gwydir river north of Uralla. Please share your experiences in these locations.

Cheers
Havinago and Co

Before you go to Nundle you should read a topic about it on the forum. There have been some reported dangers of a local which you should be aware of.

My suggestion is try all three and make your own assumption. Make sure wherever you fossick you have permission or correct access. I don't know the laws for up there but if someone else spots those names they will be able to tell you of area rules

Lol AtomRat, i'm very aware of Nundle guy and has sort of put me and the wife off, we will try all three areas giving the time and funds but as it stands we are going to try one of these areas in the next few weeks for a couple of days and would just like to hear what area would be maybe (capital M):) more rewarding for our effort. My wife would love to find some gems while I hunt the yellow stuff.

Cheers

I wish I could help you more, all I know is your in a great spot for both gems and gold not far in all directions..even east on the beach! Some coastlines and beaches have gemstones and fossils by the way..mabey look into that and the geology of P.M.

You will get onto it very soon is all I can say. Your eyes need training and an experienced prospector by your side to show you what to look for is the key.

Do you have a local gold fossicking / gem club / lapidary club nearby? All your answers will be available there as well

AtomRat i thank you very much for your input it truley is appreciated to chat with someone with experience.

I dont know about gold fossicking but the better half has looked up a lapidary club that we may check out soon, there certainly is some very interesting geology around this area ie Shelly beach and lighthouse beach as you move north it gets even more interesting especially from Coffs to the Tweed, and to the west well there has been a lot of activity there :), yeah it would be great to hook up with an experienced prospector, as of writing this my wife just mentioned all she can think of is rocks and pyrite lol

Nundle man??? I live near bingara n was going to take my family there to chase gold & gems so any input would be appreciated
Regards

Hi Yippe, I wouldnt worry to much just search nundle and you can have a read and make up your own mind, get a map and just dont go on to private property to access the river, there is also a video on you tube where someone saw someone shoot a rifle at nundle state forest, but thats the bush, people shoot guns, i heard someone fire off a few rounds 3 weeks ago in Moleton west of Coffs, for all I know they could of been 100m away and you wouldnt see them. Just my view :cool:

Cheers Havinago and Co

Thanx mate yeah i just researched him n he dont bother me i read a forum where its alledged he was blocking access due to his mate dredging the creek n splitting profit n that sounds bout the drill to me whence why hes sons are in on it n as for guns i live near bingara so as you stated thats the bush

Nundle is a lovely spot. We stay at Chaffey dam. $5 per car per day, $1 for hot showers. My understanding is that the river there is a comparatively low yield area. The is gold but not huge nuggets and not as much as some other places.

Ramjet said:
Nundle is a lovely spot. We stay at Chaffey dam. $5 per car per day, $1 for hot showers. My understanding is that the river there is a comparatively low yield area. The is gold but not huge nuggets and not as much as some other places.
Great to know someone's not taking pot shots then cool lol I'd love to go there one day and trace WalnLiz's footsteps for nundle crystals

We have found some gold, zircon and garnet at Uralla as well as a couple of small bits of sapphire around the fossicking area there, but you do have to look around. If you do head there stop off at the tourist information centre and check out the mineral collection on display.

Latest posts