Where to find coins

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, new to the hobby, and enjoying it! Now finding it hard to find local parks with coins? But our council has a great version of Google Maps, lets you see this year, and with a swipe of a finger google maps turns to 1983, 1964, 1955, 1942! They are all movable maps! So there is no point in detecting a park that's only been there for 11 years for an older coin! But in the 70s 60s 50s did people take money to parks? I have found 2 old hotels in our area with carparks, the pubs are long gone but the car parks are now lawn/dirt areas! So I hope these maps put coins in my pocket!
Using a X-TERRA 505, came with a 2nd coil and a box of other stuff!
I am in South Australia!
Cheers guys

Welcome to the forum Tug ,.. everybody be looking in on this thread for X marks the spot now ! :eek:

Welcome aboard Tug. Research research research :D
The maps are a great start. Have a look a Trove. It' has digitized newspaper, journals etc. A great resource. http://trove.nla.gov.au
The local library will have a local history section which has much more than can be found online.

Your question....

Tugboat said:
But in the 70s 60s 50s did people take money to parks?

People spent much more time outdoors before tv etc. Many events where held in parks, ovalsetc. Some in the same spot year after year. Traveling circus, side shows, boxing tents and many other types of shows held in tents and fields in towns across the country. Add cricket, vootball, horse events... the list is endless. Talk to any interested locals who are a great source of local history.

Anywhere people have been, people have dropped coins. You can research all you want but you'll never know what is still in the ground until you go there and start swinging your detector.

Just keep in mind that some of the most likely areas from your research may have already been detected. I keep my detector in the car and my eyes peeled.

Good luck.

Latest posts