Where is permitted to prospect. Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I spent half hour on the phone with Park Victoria trying to get some informations about where is permitted to use a metal detector, given the large variety of names used to describe our bush, State Forest, State Park, Regional Park, Nature Conservation, of course I didn't get any, they sent me from office to office but nobody had an answer.
Because I find this very confusing and I do not want to risk to see my 7000 confiscated, I am asking to fellow members of this forum if they have an answer for me and other people that share our same passion.
Cheers

:D :D ...or he let us know where he wants to swing a stick and we could say if he can or not :evil: :lol: :cool:

As long as you have evidence that you rang and no one answered, I would say go anywhere, except private land, and if anyone attempts to take that 7000 from you, just explain that you rang and nobody answered in the office. The government has a duty of care to answer that phone call. Government employee's are being made redundant and replaced by computers everywhere and yet the old phone's are still advertised with no one at the end. Part of the cheaper IT system involves compensation for those trying to use the older system. So for now you have free legal access to the network until the communications are fixed and laws are changed. You are of an age that used the phone system and do not understand computers is all you have to explain. :)

Thank you all, Devonian what you say make sense, the problem is that someone answer the phone, only they had no idea what to answer to my question, I know that I can detect in State forest, but what about State Park, Regional Park, Nature Conservation, etc. sometime part of a State Forest change to State Park without any sign, that is what make things difficult.

patchfinder said:
Thank you all, Devonian what you say make sense, the problem is that someone answer the phone, only they had no idea what to answer to my question, I know that I can detect in State forest, but what about State Park, Regional Park, Nature Conservation, etc. sometime part of a State Forest change to State Park without any sign, that is what make things difficult.

Pick an area where YOU want to go and get back to me mate.

I'm sure if I don't know the area someone else here will.

It's all about you mate. Get out and enjoy it.

No.
Patchfinder, what State do you live in.
An unanswered phone call is not a legitimate excuse.
You can be classified as a visitor to the region you are going to but in common sense,
Please do not get caught in a National Park or conservation area.
If you say that the reason you are on this bit of turf based on your ignorance ie; I did not know, No one answered my phone call,
Trust me, You will be walking out with just your wallet and the cloth's on your back plus then have to face a huge fine and court cost's
to begin with.
Fair enough about signage within a small window but mate,
Do your research properly.
Not based on that one.
And besides, You have chosen to be guided by a lot of good knowledgeable people on here so sit back and wait.

Just a thought (and yeah, ignorance is NO Defense).....but have you thought to try the PMAV?

Gypsy

Stay safe and stick to State Forests in Vic, and have your miners right with you......will not have a problem Patchfinder!

Most of our best gold fields are located in State Forest (crown land) meaning....land for the people!

Use Geovic to research your intended areas incorporating the use of the 'Crown land' overlay!

http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/maps-reports-and-data/geovic

Enjoy that 7000 mate with a clear conscience ;)

I will add to this,
You spent $10,000.00 plus on a damned powerful machine.
Just spend 10 days or more on research.
You will have a chance to enjoy your self a heck of a lot more than that way. :D
Edited to add the proper days that will save you more in dollars value. LOL
Edited again.
You are here by using that damned computer that cost you a pittance compared to what you
paid for your car plus detector.
It is nearly as powerful compared to what you have.
In short I am Gob Smacked on what I am seeing in the above post's.
Don't ever be frightened to ask questions.
Knowledge is a powerful tool to have.
It is right in front of you my friend. :D

Yep, don't wanna be looking over your shoulder all the time thinking you're going to get nabbed because you've wandered onto areas you shouldn't be detecting legally.

Tathradj said:
No.
You can be classified as a visitor to the region you are going to but in common sense,
If you say that the reason you are on this bit of turf based on your ignorance ie; I did not know, No one answered my phone call,
Trust me, You will be walking out with just your wallet and the cloth's on your back plus then have to face a huge fine and court cost's
to begin with.
Not based on that one.
And besides, You have chosen to be guided by a lot of good knowledgeable people on here so sit back and wait.

The worse thing about prospectors just going into any area they please like National Parks is the government will come back harder with more and more restrictions on were the law abiding prospectors can go! :eek:

Pathfinder please check the posted links to Maps from Parks Vic on were to go. I think there are maps for Paddy,s Ranges, Kara Kara areas.

There is a part of Paddy,s Ranges that you can not prospect in and just a few weeks after that restriction came in me and a mate were driving past on the main highway at daybreak and we seen a Rangers Ute appear were two guys were detecting in the forbidden zone, they were given a warning and also the ranger gave them a map showing were to go and were not to go.

Tathradj said:
No.
to begin with.
Not based on that one.

I live in Victoria.

Thank you guys, Your help your help has been over whelming, In doubt I will stick with State Forest.
Cheers

Latest posts