When it rains it pours. Welcome spring.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuky boy said:
Hoping for some good weather with the school holidays coming up and want to go out for a detect. This rain hasn't stopped and looks like it's only going to get worse. Loving work out side in the rains down at Philip island. Absolutely drenched. I though it was meant to be Spring. :|
Usually I'm used to saying that we could do with some rain but for the past couple of months it's been we could do with a week or two of solid sunshine. Never seen so much water around in some areas - bring on summer without the summer rains :lol:

Travelled from home to Deer Park then Trentham from there went through Kyneton up to Pyramid Hill then down to Huntly then back home. Steady rain nearly all day only on the home leg it eased off.

Between Kyneton up through Myers Flat to Campbells Creek had water over the road in about 6 or 7 places, not as much between Pyramid Hill to Huntly. Between Huntly and Knowsley via Barnadown drove through plenty as well. Every spoon drain, dam or depression had water flowing from them all creeks are running hard.

Tonight and tomorrow will see more rain in these parts so I'd be expecting some roads to be closed. Tomorrow I'm off to Deer Park, Sunbury, Maddingly then up to Menzies Creek. From Menzies Creek over to Seville then Yarra Glen then home again. I'm expecting to see the same amount of water as today if not more, hoping no road closures for tomorrow.

Missus and daughter are o/s at the moment so was planning on taking the young bloke for a weekend of detecting and camping but might have to wait a while. I think he's pretty happy with the rain :|

Bjay said:
Missus and daughter are o/s at the moment so was planning on taking the young bloke for a weekend of detecting and camping but might have to wait a while. I think he's pretty happy with the rain :|

We're off to the Howqua river on Saturday :D , will be staying in a hut only problem is the best wood is on the other side :mad:. Hopefully the rain will ease and the river settles at least that way I can wade the river with chainsaw and boys in toe to help shuttle the wood back.

I'm back Tuesday for work :mad: then Friday I'm off to Edi with a few mates for the weekend :D . Back to work Monday then off to SW NSW pig shooting on Wednesday (1st time for my boys) :D hopefully the MIGHTY HAWKS (Ironstone & Gold gotta love those colours :lol:) will make the GF in that case I'll be home Friday. And that she's the school holidays done and dusted. I'll need to lie down for a week after all this at least I'll earn a few brownie prospecting points :D

Big week ahead. Sounds great only didn't hear mention of gold? Mind you getting kids away on a trip is gold in itself.

Bjay said:
Big week ahead. Sounds great only didn't hear mention of gold? Mind you getting kids away on a trip is gold in itself.

That's it Bjay getting away with the kids is Gold, I did mention earning brownie points :D. The next 2 weeks will challenge my stamina my boys go hard when we do these things, wouldn't have it any other way though.

All the brownie points might just get me to Laanecoorie and the Vic GT meet up :D we all need goals :lol:

Chuky boy said:
Wow RM you do a lot of driving.

Yeah Chunky boy around 70 to 80k per annum, that only gets me from home to work destination and back home then the work needs to be done. The next few weeks will be adventure, just need to manage the fatigue. Mental fatigue is exhausting to say the least even more taxing when it's wet like today.

Gotta make use of that rain. It turns mullock heaps into miniature dams. Good time to grab a deck chair, and raincoat, select a mullock heap that looks like swiss cheese with detector holes and pan that material right there. A few hours of panning for over half a gram. I've had worse days out detecting
29636828616_d19b549143_c.jpg

Well the creeks around Creswick,are really bursting,and I would say that come the summer when they get back to normal,there will be some good flood gold to be found,and there will be no shortage of water.

The new Niggle bridge
ubgbfJ5l.jpg

Down stream from the bridge,which flows into St Georges lake,and then into Creswick creek above the soccer ground
DUCVrfdl.jpg

Creswick creek flooding onto the soccer ground,this where the Victorian Seekers Club camped last year.

jn5v5u2l.jpg

Regards Frank

nuggetino said:
Gotta make use of that rain. It turns mullock heaps into miniature dams. Good time to grab a deck chair, and raincoat, select a mullock heap that looks like swiss cheese with detector holes and pan that material right there. A few hours of panning for over half a gram. I've had worse days out detecting
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8038/29636828616_d19b549143_c.jpg

Looks great nuggetino how much dirt for that lot. Over 1/2 gram certainly beats some /most detecting days I've had well done, persistence pays.

RM Outback said:
nuggetino said:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8038/29636828616_d19b549143_c.jpg

Looks great nuggetino how much dirt for that lot. Over 1/2 gram certainly beats some /most detecting days I've had well done, persistence pays.

I don't know how much dirt. was about 3-4 hours of panning. The two larger pickers made up most of the weight. I often detect many more hours and move more dirt digging fuggets to find as much. Like to pan when I've had a dry spell with the detector and need to reignite the gold fever. Some fine yellow in the pan does the trick..

Remember reading somewhere that the old time miners would fix a large sluice in a creek when heavy rains were coming, then go and collect the goodies after the water level had fallen. Food for thought there.

Mike.

Latest posts