When I was a lot younger

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember our family of 7 piling into the station wagon. Mum held the baby on her lap in the front (no seat belt), and us 4 kids were in the back seat or in the wagon rolling around with no seat belts either. I remember going camping with a ton of gear in the back, with a little 'nest' made up in the wagon for one of us to squash in there for the 4 hour trip! Ahh the good old days! lol

I do remember being able to camp anywhere I wanted as long as it wasnt private property.
Shoot and hunt without a firearms licence.
Drink driving was over .08
Smoke in the shopping centers.
Standard fuel.
Paper drivers licence.
Rum was in a 750ml bottle.
And you could say just about anything without being labeled racist.
Oh how times have changed :Y:

MegsyB007 said:
I remember our family of 7 piling into the station wagon. Mum held the baby on her lap in the front (no seat belt), and us 4 kids were in the back seat or in the wagon rolling around with no seat belts either. I remember going camping with a ton of gear in the back, with a little 'nest' made up in the wagon for one of us to squash in there for the 4 hour trip! Ahh the good old days! lol

and there was lots of places to go megsy,when i got my license you could still drive on some of the beaches on the south coast of nsw.....

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. It made me realize that I'm not all that old after all.

We never received pocket money but we could spend 6d at the local shop once a week if the account was open.
We would walk 2 miles to school and back until were old enough to build a bike from bits and pieces.
We wore homemade shirts and shorts without shoes.
We got electricity in 1960
We never had TV or telephone but Mum & Dad bought a new AWA fridge that year. My nephew still uses it for his beer fridge. It stands no more than 10m from the location it was placed in when new.
I can't remember what I got paid in my first job at Barry Daily Electrics but when I started my apprenticeship I earned $16.80 p/w.
I borrowed half the money but bought a brand new car just before my 18th birthday for $2625.00
It would cost me $4 to fill the tank each week if it was bone dry.
When I became a tradesman I brought home $140 p/w.
When I returned from travelling the country and realized all my friends had gone and got married I made the same mistake and married in 1980
When I eventually realized and tried again, I got married in 1990
When that proved to be another mistake I tried it again and married in 2000
When that ten year mark turned up again :eek: I realized I'm getting a bit too old :( for a rerun so accepted my fate ;) and we're looking forward to 2020 together :)

I remember when everyone had the right to go fishing, any time, anywhere.

When a toll was the sound made on a Sunday morning by the church bell.

When people used to walk on the left side of the sidewalk and say gday as they passed someone.

When gemstones scared me............well, the expectation of a single one wrapped in gold

C.O.D. corners in the EK Holden.

I am loving these stories .
My first car was a Holden EK sedan, two tone and I paid $250 for her. Drove to Melbourne from the Gong and only used 1/2 pint of oil and never missed a beat. I was offered an FJ for $90 but I didnt like the colour ( yes I wish I had either today).
Mackka

Trusted said:
In primary school we used to line up outside where the stainless steel drinking water spouts were and get our weekly dose of milk with cream on top, it came in a 600 ml glass bottle and aluminium cap.

i remember one drinking spout at high school would shoot about 6-8ft,dont know why but a mate let it rip one day when our PE teacher walked past,it didnt go down well,mr freeman was soaked and jacko was up up the office for 3 over the fingers :D

Goldchaser1 said:
Trusted said:
In primary school we used to line up outside where the stainless steel drinking water spouts were and get our weekly dose of milk with cream on top, it came in a 600 ml glass bottle and aluminium cap.

i remember one drinking spout at high school would shoot about 6-8ft,dont know why but a mate let it rip one day when our PE teacher walked past,it didnt go down well,mr freeman was soaked and jacko was up up the office for 3 over the fingers :D

Yep remember that too mate.
The trick to that was to embedding a small sharp ice cream stick splinter into it and the water would fly into the air.
It was done to scare the unsuspecting water drinker. :lol:

MegsyB007 said:
From memory as it is, I think our 1st. B&W TV was an ATLAS in 1956. Can't find it on Google. Does anyone remember the brand?

Hi Jaros - don't recall an Atlas tv, but do remember the old Astor. Are you getting your A's mixed up maybe?

Probably right there Megsy. Because the 2nd set was an Astor Royal setup that went halfway across the room-stereo/radio/tv.

I remember the Astor...
1538381261_hqdefault.jpg

First TV I probably learn't my trade on was the AWA 3504..
1538381678_maxresdefault.jpg

Then the Decca, was a hybrid tv!!! Had a couple of big valves, transistors... and even a couple of IC's!
1538381744_deccacs1730.jpg

And when tubes got tired..... we could offer the customer, a no guarantee tube rejuvination!!! (If it failed, then it was a new Tube... from Thomas tubes in Thomastown!!)
1538381836_lead1.jpg

Great thread, I like it!

Dad come home one day and said that he had to take
my jar of penny's and such to the bank to have them
changed over.
" Yes Dad, I had seen the add's on TV. "
By gum I was upset the next day when he came home
with my prized jar. (Small Vegemite jar )
Only a few coins in it. 8.(
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtyNLwqljzI[/video]

Jacko5 said:
Trusted said:
I remember when bullying wasn't called that at all.
It was called being punched up, usually in the toilet block. :playful:
And to follow this theme, I remember during a punch up if one person dared to kick the other person or hit them while they were down, they had the whole crowd against them for fighting dirty.
Usually for me it would start with not getting along until it escalated. There was a time and a place set and a crowd would come. No low blows , or hits from behind, or weapone. A man was still allowed his pride even if he was beaten or outmatched in a dust up, at school or the pub.

I did 16 days suspension but the high school basically gave me what I wanted haha. It was always the old man's turn when you got home, like it or not. Even if you win both you'd lose in the end. After graduating from wooden spoons when I was young it went to the belt, the big belt, a piece of willow, to boxing gloves and finally cruel and unusual punishment. Once the old boy figured out physical punishment held no weight and I'd grown a longer reach than him he used his mind to set in the punishment phase. Every hiding I copped was. deserved, you took it, it wasn't abuse, just a square up. Now they count to ten for the grandkids haha. He still reckons I got off light compared to his schooling, but either sure beats what they dish up today.

Latest posts