What your word worth?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlS

Karl
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start political discussion. Just in the view of lies told to the public by two recent prime ministers I would like to see your comments as how much value you give to your word that you had given on something.
I personally try not to make commitment until I'm reasonably confident that i can keep it. That said I have to admit that on occasion I did broke my word. But when ever this happen I take blame for consequences.
What is your view on keeping your word?
Karl

I believe it is valuable to keep your word, I'm a bit like Jim Carrey in Liar Liar, I'm as about honest as you can get. My conscience tends to dictate the things I do in life, so I find it hard to lie, you can almost see it on my face. As far as our leaders and some of our peers go, I think they leave a lot to be desired. If leaders in society can openly lie or manipulate words to their advantage, then what hope do the people who supposedly look up to them as role mdels have.

Unfortunately, when they say nice guys always finish last, it rings true on many fronts these days, people lie and back stab everyday to get somewhere in life, whether it be falsly discrediting someone else for personal gain at work, corporate bodies outright lying or bending the truth to their employees about their employment future, or false promises from politicians, it is really rife in today's society. Have I lied in my life, sure I have, but never for personal gain, my conscience always tends to step in! :)

I'm with you there Karl, if it's out of my control and I'm not sure I can help I won't say anything, if I say I'm going to do it I almost always do, respect is earned so I try to earn it by staying true to my word.

I cant sleep if I think I have done the wrong thing as for all pollys they cant lie straight in bed :)

Broken my promise before. Not intentionally. Some of the trouble is making promises that you're confident you can keep at the time and despite all exhausted efforts fail to be achievable. Poor judgement if you will. I consider it a lie if you make a promise on something full knowing you do not intend to keep that promise. The first case scenario would certainly see an apology from me.

In the gold game, reputations count for everything. Lie, break a promise, jump a claim (or patch), rip some-one off and you don't get a second chance. People end up getting very bad reputations and with the flood of social media, the word gets out very quickly.

The prerequisites to be a Politician are;

• Experience as an Actor.[/*]
  • The ability to say an awful lot and mean nothing, including avoiding simple yes/no answers.[/*]
  • Be able to lie without conscience.[/*]

It's the nature of the beast. There are over 24 million people in Australia, there are little more than 1,000 state and federal pollies.
That's about 0.004 % of the population, so the honest ones of us, way outnumber them.

Our biggest problem in this democracy is Apathy..........not honesty

I do NOT like lies. Once the trust is broken it is very hard to get it back.
Always told my boys that if they have messed up, just tell me. Lying about it is worse than the mess up.

G'Day All

I lie all the time - every day! For example if my wife asks me if the dress looks good on her then I always will say "yes it looks lovely" or "Do I look fat in this?" then the answer is always "no - you look lovely"

There are white lies that have a good ending.

I wonder if anyone knows the story of a gold miner near Wandilligong in the old days. when any other miner asked how he was going up the gully he was in he always complained that there was no gold worth having. he was up there for many years and he always payed his bills. the creek is still to this day called Growlers Creek. Would anyone here tell someone any different? then there are politicians and that's a whole other story.

I have often said that if I was king for a day I would make only one rule and that is Anyone who wants to become a polician is not allowed to become one.

Araluen

Latest posts