Assistance finding publically accessible gold rush era ruins?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope this post isn't too misplaced here. While previously trying to find some information on gold mining history in central Victoria, a couple of times I ended up finding info on gold prospecting forums and prospecting YouTube comments sections. I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction with the following.

As a hobby I create night time-lapse sequences and images consisting of some form of foreground interest (buildings, rocks, cars, dead trees, anything that is perfectly still basically) with the Milky Way in the background. To date the foreground targets I've used haven't had any common tie in.

As a project this year I would like to do a series of Milky Way time-lapse sequences using goldrush era ruins as the foreground interest and would really appreciate locating publically accessible ruins meeting the following criteria;

* Publically accessible 24/7
* Away from towns or any other forms of strong light pollution (e.g. traffic lights from busy roads)
* Must have a pretty clear view of the ruins and sky in anything through South East to South Westerly perspective.
* Be no more than roughly 1 hour drive from Bendigo (as that is where I'm based).

To give sort of an idea of what I'm looking at, so far I plan on shooting at;

* Monster Meeting site (though fairly unremarkable from a scenery perspective)
* Grand Duke Mine
* Old Gold Rush Hotel
* Duke of Cornwall
* Garfield Waterwheel (might be too much tree cover)

Ruins don't have to be as grand as these, so long as they are tied to the gold era story and meet the above criteria. I'm pretty new to the topic of gold rush era buildings and have been struggling to locate enough sites for which I can readily establish the history of (I'll need at least a dozen) with the free time I have between my day job and family commitments. Unfortunately the position of the Milky Way in the sky waits for no one, so would really appreciate any assistance (especially anything with an easterly view).

I can't help you with locations but one with a 'poppet head' as the structure might look good.

I'm sure those local to Bendigo area might point you in the right direction.

Interesting pastime :Y:

Thanks Annie,

I got you mail, thanks for that I'll take a look. That whole area is littered with ruins, it is finding the story behind the buildings that I am struggling with. There is actually a second Majorca road just out of Talbot which has one of my favorite two storey examples called Richmond House, however despite it being obviously once a fairly grand house I can't find out much about it apart from it was built by the Phelan family in the 1860s and burnt out in the fires of 1985. I have no idea who the current owner is, so would need to get permission to shoot there anyway.

Hi Northeast, plenty of poppet heads in Bendigo, unfortunately all pretty servery impacted by light pollution (believe me, I have tried). There is one out at Chewton and one also at Tarnagulla which I have to follow up on to get their history. It is a very involved pastime, equal parts planning, shooting and luck.

Hi Hardluck. As of about a month ago I started a website to put some of my work up at the insistence of my wife. There are a few different ones, but should be one in there of the Duke of Cornwall in Fryerstown. I can't post links yet, so hopefully this works

https://astroroad.com.au/gallery/milky-way/

Anyway, thanks for any assistance. Milky way season (where the galactic core is visible) in the Southern hemisphere is from about now through to mid November. I thought I had plenty of time to prepare when I decided to do this in December, first mistake right there I guess .

Moderator Edit.

Very Nice Hobby worthy of a link.
Well Done :Y: :Y:

Thanks for all the kind words, really very encouraging. Thanks for the suggestions and tips too. Maldon looks very promising. Melville Caves looks beautiful, definitely on for a visit there. Interesting as I was over that way only about a month ago exploring ruins of some old cyanide vats just north of Inglewood and ended up finding the remains of an old mud brick miners cottage. I could find nothing about it on any official site, only acknowledgement of the site I could find was on a prospecting forum and YouTube channel from 4 years ago. This is what lead me here really to ask the questions I have. Thanks again.

There's a poppet head a few Kms southeast of Maldon , at the "red white and blue mine "site in the bush at Muckleford It's accessible by car via butchers rd off the Maldon - Castlemaine rd .It shouldn't be too bad for light pollution , but I don't know what the tree cover is like
thanks, Brett

Latest posts