What to do if you come across this in the bush!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why is it , that for all the supposed sightings of panthers , yowies , tassie tigers etc. never once has anyone ever had any sort of camera (video / photo) that can take a clear picture ?

Dirtdemon said:
why is it , that for all the supposed sightings of panthers , yowies , tassie tigers etc. never once has anyone ever had any sort of camera (video / photo) that can take a clear picture ?

That is true Dirtdemon... They are always the same... In this Digital age makes you wonder...

LW....

Dirtdemon said:

There have so many things I would have loved to have caught on camera.
But on the occasions I've tried all I have done is fumbled for the phone,turn it on ,find the camera app,then tried to focus and take a snap.
And usually whatever I was trying to capture either turns out blurry or has already ran away/disappeared/moved on.

Even with the old school camera including digital....If your not ready or expecting anything,it takes time for the brain to register what is happening and then it takes time for the reaction...then add to that adrenaline giving you the shakes cause your a little excited or scared even.

And not everybody can afford or wants a GoPro strapped to their head constantly recording.

I'll be surprised if there ever is a clear photo or footage.

Dirtdemon said:
Not to have a crack, it's a fair question.
Try getting footage of a car crash in the middle of town, or of someone stealing your stuff from your backyard. My point is plenty of everyday stuff happens and none of it is caught on camera or video. Then there is the fakes that don't help with any creditability with photos and video that may be genuine. There's more than enough out there if you do some trawling through the net.

Saying that bodies should show up, but again there's stories to suggest that has happened and covered up. The hairy man body found in the high country near Jamieson is one I can point to that leaves me baffled.

I think the point is there are 100s and 1000s of stories reported from times since this country was settled and more from time before that, surely not every witness can be discredited, although plenty of people dedicated to that end too. The question for me is why do these mysterious encounters keep happening with such regularity if there might not be something behind it, something to it?

I often think if people can't or won't believe it's not important, just to have a bit of mystery and strangeness out there just adds to charm. Not everyone has to believe and we don't have to explain every mysterious thing or happening out there.

Brumble-Gum said:
I can't believe this post is still going!

Oh yes new sightings very recent :Y: Everyone will be out looking for it tonight :eek: :D :D :D Well they got it on video and they have put their names to it. Panther or cat whatever it's a big bugger and it's certainly real cat or panther ;)

1529567410_panther.jpg

https://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/panther-prowl-through-fraser-coast/3446278/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...4082cfe2fb8b&usg=AOvVaw1fa-JMXsByGAwUOxEU2526

Time to roll this topic out again .

Grant Denyer is on the trail of the big black cat / panther . AKA Thylacoleo Carnifex ( the marsupial lion ).
He thinks he saw more than one on his property in the Lithgow / Bathurst area . ( according to this article ) . https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...s/news-story/fbc0e5594aa94eb8fd7ba2de86727843

He has set up all sorts of cameras and has a blurry picture from an iphone. Once he or anyone else finds animal carcasses shredded to the bone , i think they will be onto something.

20 odd years` ago i was told by a reliable source that an old timer he knew saw one in the Greendale area in Victoria where i used to ride trail bikes in thick scrub.
Two reasons i believe him are that he has never lied about anything. He tells it how it is. Secondly when i was riding one day , i stopped for a break and i could feel eyes on me and the back of my neck started to shiver. Never happened before or since. It was a creepy experience.

Another mate told me of a prank where late at night at a pub in a remote country location , the locals would have a big toy panther on wheels and would slowly pull it across the road and into a paddock and then disappear with it when a car started approaching the pub at about 1/2 a km away. When the driver pulls up to tell the pub goers about the sighting , they would mock him and take the micky out of him or her.

Questions that need to be answered are how they have managed to breed since escaping from the U.S army after WW2 , where do they hide out, how many are there out there and what are they feeding on if we see little evidence of their kills and the spoils ?

............................ Yep. I am on the fence with this one ......................................

We had a farmer pays us 10 dollars a tail to shoot feral cats on his property, until one night his wife's cat strayed too far from their house & of course we thought it was a feral from a distance. We didn't get paid that night for some reason lol. But I can tell you some of those feral cats we took out were huge. like a medium size dog. Those buggers evolve very fast out in the wild.

They sure do. I saw one at Ford`s Bridge ,about 85 kms out the back of Bourke on the way to Hungerford . I reckon this cat was nearly a metre long and a foot high.

just starting said:
They sure do. I saw one at Ford`s Bridge ,about 85 kms out the back of Bourke on the way to Hungerford . I reckon this cat was nearly a metre long and a foot high.

Sounds like a sausage cat :lol: spent some time around there 30 odd years ago the only cat I shot was the farmers house cat :argh: followed us without knowing. About 3 or 4 km from the house I saw this thing around 100 metres away then again nearing a dam/tank at about 50 metres so I whacked it only to learn over a few beers with the farmer it was his wife's :eek: lucky for me we were gone before she returned from a weekend away with her daughter.

Nightjar said:
just starting said:

What were you drinking, smoking or sniffing? :lol: Come on!

It looked pretty big. Hard to tell from a distance ,but that is how big it looked. It may have been only 2 feet long, but without binoculars , it`s hard to gauge.

The owner of the property said they do get large feral cats and he doesn`t take kindly to them. I know what i saw and if i was still talking to an old mate who was with me ,he would back it up.

This demonstrates how these cats look to the naked eye https://www.news.com.au/technology/...k/news-story/a7e9c84bb1c2b9740ae640e34f9f2502

A couple of years back we spent a long weekend in Dunolly at a farm stay. We took the bicycles with us so Mrs D and I could take the kids on a bike ride through the forest. We were quite some way in, heading in the direction of Mt Hooghly, when our then 11 year old daughter called out from some way behind "Dad, what is that thing?". By the time I saw where she was pointing off into the bush I couldn't see anything. I asked her how big it was and she said it was the size of a big dog, so of course, perplexed I said "Well, that's what it was then". To which she replied, "But it looked like a cat!". The kid had no idea of big cat stories etc., but I can only assume that it was one big bad-ass feral cat.

I personally don't think it's likely that there are any Pumas out there as some claim. By now I'm sure there would be people who have been attacked or stalked by them if that's the case (or kids at the back of the group disappearing!). I've trapped 30 or so feral cats over the years, and a couple of those were mind-bogglingly large and powerful. I think it's more likely that maybe one in a thousand or something are even bigger and rarer again, and they probably get to the size of a Puma.

Deepseeker said:
A couple of years back we spent a long weekend in Dunolly at a farm stay. We took the bicycles with us so Mrs D and I could take the kids on a bike ride through the forest. We were quite some way in, heading in the direction of Mt Hooghly, when our then 11 year old daughter called out from some way behind "Dad, what is that thing?". By the time I saw where she was pointing off into the bush I couldn't see anything. I asked her how big it was and she said it was the size of a big dog, so of course, perplexed I said "Well, that's what it was then". To which she replied, "But it looked like a cat!". The kid had no idea of big cat stories etc., but I can only assume that it was one big bad-ass feral cat.

I personally don't think it's likely that there are any Pumas out there as some claim. By now I'm sure there would be people who have been attacked or stalked by them if that's the case (or kids at the back of the group disappearing!). I've trapped 30 or so feral cats over the years, and a couple of those were mind-bogglingly large and powerful. I think it's more likely that maybe one in a thousand or something are even bigger and rarer again, and they probably get to the size of a Puma.

I have seen plenty of domestic and feral black cats that look exactly like miniature black panthers...I recall stopping the car to get a better look after seeing one walking across a field and even with bino's, it took me a little while to sort out it's size...

There was a cheetah like cat spotted in a London garden last week which turned out to be a Savannah domestic kitty...It only when you get a true sense of scale do you realise it's actually no where near the size of a cheetah but it's easy to see how people are fooled..

One of the weirdest things I've seen regarding feral animals, was near my property in Eden Park Vic just before we moved. In the middle of the day, standing there in a paddock that backs onto a 600 acre nature reserve, was for all the world what looked like a Tasmanian Tiger. I pulled over, absolutely gobsmacked. But instead of taking some far off grainy photo with my clam-shell phone, or taking off to call the local paper to tell them what I'd seen. I made a point of slowly getting out of the car and studying it as close at I could, expecting any second for it to take off. I'd also trapped enough Foxes over the years to know that no matter that it appeared to have stripes, and the long slender head of a Thylacine, it had what could only be the tail of a fox. It was in fact a sick/dying emaciated fox that had most probably either taken a bait or was too sick from natural causes to catch its own food. The black stripes were the shadowy hollows between its ribs, made more prominent by the sunny day, and its emaciated condition gave it the long slender look of a Tassie tiger. While they may well still exist in some remote part of Tasmania or the mainland, I wouldn't mind betting that a few so called sightings in the past have been of a fox in a similar condition. If I was unable to see its tail I'd still be left wondering also.

Latest posts