What lurks below the surface of a river?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manpa said:
Anolphart said:
Well that's cured this little black duck from skinny dipping any more!

That's good we don't need anymore surprises with little pricks in the water! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you been peaking again?

Anyway, the water was cold ... OK?

There are always black snakes and tigers around the water here, I'm happy enough to keep my distance, though the blacks sure love a dip and I have been surprised a few times by a few passing by. I see heaps of platypus around too as some of these gold streams/creeks happen to be good trout streams/creeks as well, they are so bad sometimes I just skip the pools they are in knowing I have zero chance of taking a fish from them.

Last time I was out Sunny Corner I jumped 2 feet seeing one of those "toe pincher" water scorpion critters near my feet, I know they are harmless but it was the biggest I have seen, round here though its the tiger leeches that will carry you away if given a chance, especially out Oberon way.

We all know about snakes, but you need to be just as wary of dehydration and heat while out prospecting, also don't forget the bastard mosquito, Ross River, Barmah Forest and Kunjin Virus are not to be taken for granted, my cousin had Barmah Forest and was never quite right from it.

On a side note I brought Malaria back with me from a trip to Papua New Guinea, holy crap that floored me, I pretty much blacked out 2-3 months of my life going through that.
I remember going to the cinema the day after coming home and passing out from the fever, woke up in hospital, my mates thought I was just quiet watching the movie until the credits rolled and the lights came on! I was fine going through customs and immigration etc, had no idea at the time.

AussieChris said:
There are always black snakes and tigers around the water here, I'm happy enough to keep my distance, though the blacks sure love a dip...

It took me a while to work out that you don't live in South Africa after I read that! lolol

AussieChris said:
...round here though its the tiger leeches that will carry you away if given a chance...

It took me the first uncomfortable month living alone in a tent in rain-forest country (where I lived for quite a while decades ago) to work out that the best thing to do is go naked, or just undies. That way you can see the buggers easily and flick them off by getting a finger nail under their head. I try not to kill them, same with other critters in the bush. I reckon if I try not to harm them, they'll do the same for me. I reckon it's true too! After I stopped fighting the bush life became MUCH more comfortable and I had very little trouble. Except for some animal that worked out how to turn the handle on my tin-plate food locker at night. I never did catch the bugger as the locker lived in it's own shelter away from my tent and I didn't have electric torches or anything fancy. lolol The highest tech I had back then was matches! :)

AussieChris said:
...don't forget the bastard mosquito, Ross River, Barmah Forest and Kunjin Virus are not to be taken for granted, my cousin had Barmah Forest and was never quite right from it.

:) I keep lots of mozzie spray on hand. Bloody smelly stuff though! There must be a better way! Anyone got any fair-dinkum well tested dietary (or other) tips on that?

AussieChris said:
...I brought Malaria back with me from a trip to Papua New Guinea, holy crap that floored me, I pretty much blacked out 2-3 months of my life going through that.

That sounds REALLY bad! Is there good medicine for it these days? I mean, are you completely cured?

You know, for all the dangerous creatures we have here in Aussie, more people die in Japan each year from bird-bees (susume bachi - actually asian hornets) than die here from all the stuff we have! The worst thing about them is that they get really angry really easily and can fly VERY FAST! They bites have a cumulative effect. The first time you get bitten you'll probably be OK, but the second time - can be years later too - is touch and go (as regards living). I was more scared after being surrounded a couple of times than any scary moment I've had here (from critters). Being a smoker there is good! Light up two or three smokes and puff like blazes at 'em. That works for keeping them away.

:) Remind me to tell you my funnelweb story some time! It's a REALLY weird one! :)

Latest posts