What is your biggest cleanout?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title suggests, what is your biggest (single) cleanout from a Highbanker or Sluice, and how long did it take to achieve?

Photo's welcome :D

.2 grams all day first trip out, digging in the wrong area coz the banker only lost 2 tiny specks (double checked everything just to be sure)

0.000g...... yet to find any. Hopefully there is some in the bucket from when I took the highbanker for a test run at the Ford the other day. One flake is all I need, then at least I can say I've found some....I think it will be like diving for lobsters, the first one is always the hardest and when you finally see one all of a sudden there everywhere.....I can only hope anyway. :)

Built a 6 foot sluice 400mm wide and shovelled through it all day
Got about 1gram' I just stick to detecting these days.

3.5 grams over 3 days panning only.
Using a tyre lever and a half rusted garden trowel to dig...not even a shovel.

Now you see why I am so keen to go back and hit that place with my highbanker

1994, I was still a pup, with two older guys who's fathers had owned a dredge before the ban. Absolute gold nuts, in a gully that has two reefs shed into it (now inaccessable) banking and me panning for some good colour, three consecutive days of solid figures each (in grams not ounces) was awesome. But like every great story there's a down side, gold was worth next to nothing, and so when the guys sold it I brought a nice bmx big and had some pocket money for the next couple of weeks. I often dream of going back there but the current occupier loves two things more than gold, his firearms and his legal rights.

I've had some productive days on my own but never hit double figures in a day. A solid day is getting as close to a gram as possible, over that is good luck. Its surprising how as you collect it up here and there how the weight seems to grow. Often and small returns are more to my liking than going out say 4 times a year looking for a big haul.

About .9g in about 5 hours running the Walbanker for the first time (about 5 minutes walk from my backyard). My aim is to take it out again and top 1 gram in a single day - shouldn't be too hard... just need to scout out a new location!

never had enough to worry about weighing, I reckon about 50 specs after running about 12 buckets through the highbanker. its never worried me much how much I get, I just love to see some gold in the pan after the cleanout. best part is that I am still digging in the same spot and it is flogged to death because its the first and easiest spot to get to. not to mention that where I dig usually looks a lot different each time I go back because someone else lets me do the main dirt shifting and they go in and cleanout the crevises properly. its all in fun hey. I always have the detector in the car as well and always spend an hour or two swinging, still haven't found a cracker with the detector but I am used to it so I go looking for bullets and get excited with each one I dig, [ it stops the depression]

Best single pan was 3 grams from under a bloody big rock in a river in N,east vic.
Best cleanup was 6 grams for a few days tunneling & shoveling into a trommel.

I agree with Pirateandy , as long as you get something at the end of the day, its worth it. Lets face it , most don't do it for the money , as we would be broke. I am lucky if I get enough to pay for the pump fuel . As Tom Massie says , "its not about owning the gold , but finding the gold"

The difference between an average day & a good day is a few pickers, that knocks the weight up.

Our best is .4g for 5 hours

1394107985_untitled.jpg

headbut - you have to say it just like tom would - then throw the little flake back in the river and encourage it to grow into a big nugget - watched that episode the other day and laughed bloody hard

Latest posts