What is Hot Rock?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have experienced hot rocks but was wondering what minerals are in them that set the detector off. Is it iron stone?
Where I grew up not that far from Cracow Qld I heard stories of old gold prospectors in the hills nearby. However, when I was a kid in this area a magnet would pick up the stones. Can a Minelab GPX 5000 be set not to react to them?

Probably the easiest way to explain what a hot rock is.
A hot rock can loosely be defined as: any rock or stone not containing a valuable mineral (gold, silver, or copper) which generates an audible signal response on a metal detector.

These minerals are predominately the iron oxides: magnetite, hematite, limonite, maghemite and lepidocrocite.

Source http://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/hot-rocks-part-1

Nugget.

i am still learning to set my GPX 5000 so it will discriminate / reject the signals from ironstone

however...

i think its a mistake to discard every signal you get that looks like "just a hot rock" because it could be a happy little smiley nugget hiding in there

I bring a dolly pot with me and pan the powdered rocky-thing when i am done gently "modifying its form"

dont forget that gold is not the only valuable metal

silver , platinum and others occur around the country so if in doubt take some home and smelt it / do a specific gravity test to identify it.

Latest posts