What gemstones can be found in Mongarlowe and Shoalhaven Rivers?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer385

Terry Rushton
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know that both the Mongarlowe and Shoalhaven rivers are noted for being alluvial gold bearing rivers, but was wondering if anyone knows whether they contain any gemstones of note?

I haven't found any yet but would like to try my hand if it is worthwhile.

Terry

Hey Terry, a lot of rivers and streams between the Shoalhaven and the Queensland border contain Sapphires or some other gemstones but not many places are renowned as good, where I mean good gem quality, if gems are not of good quality they are just stones and not gems. In my opinion stick to the renowned gem bearing areas and you'll do better than trying other way less productive areas.

There are good Sapphires at Grabben Gullen and Oberon but still not enough to get me regularly to those places, I save up my moolah and head to places like the New England area where I know the pickings are more plentiful. When you think that only say one in every 20-50 stones is a special stone really worth cutting you want maximise chances.

Good advice Heatho. I was wondering if it might have been worth going through some of the screenings from my gold seeking adventures while I had some spare time.
Don't have anything to look through yet, but thought I could keep some rocks to go through in the future if worthwhile.

Would love to venture further afield but need to do more research or find some good spots to visit.

Have a couple of spots on the bucket list. Ruby vale and Grawin spring to mind as wall as the New England area.

Terry

Hay Terry,
I have been scratching around in the Mongarlowe for a while now and I sometimes get little red stones (pin head size and smaller) in my cleanups, maybe rubies, I don't know I'm no rock hound. I sometimes get quartz cristals as well but that's about it.

backcreek said:
Hay Terry,
I have been scratching around in the Mongarlowe for a while now and I sometimes get little red stones (pin head size and smaller) in my cleanups, maybe rubies, I don't know I'm no rock hound. I sometimes get quartz cristals as well but that's about it.

I reckon they are probably garnets Backcreek, very common in gold areas.

Yea you could be right but they look too red for garnets if you know what I mean. For all I know it could be red glass. :D

Heatho said:
backcreek said:
Hay Terry,

I reckon they are probably garnets Backcreek, very common in gold areas.

It's definitely worth the trip if you stay up there for a few days, top people, nice town, I always have a great time at Inverell, hanging to get back up there when it thaws out a bit.

Some people probably wont believe me, but i found a sapphire next to the bridge at oallen back in my first few weeks of highbanking.
1434880469_img_2015062151240.jpg

1434880490_img_2015062122586.jpg

Greglz86 said:
The sad part was that i had been to grabben gullen several times before that and found stuff all :8

Was it in the banker mate...????, and could it have been stuck deep in the matting from a previous trip to GG..???. Pulled the odd tiny garnet and 2 small diamonds from out that way, but never a sapphire in many many tons of river wash.

Certainly wouldn't put the Shoalhaven or the Mongarlowe on the list for gem locations. However, in saying that, there is some quite good looking Jaspers out there that make handsome cabs for the lapidary guys.

Wal.

There supposedly is at Burrier, it's a long way downstream but still you never know exactly where they may pop up......... Could be a GG stone stuck in the banker though. I remember Headbut got one at Tuena as well. Anyway here's trhe deposit report I found.

208182 - Shoalhaven River Sapphire
(Shoalhaven River Sapphire Deposits)
Coords: -34.862409,150.424974
Mga_coordsys: MGA_56S
Mga_north: 6139190
Mga_east: 264604
Loc_method: 250K
Accuracy: 500
Grid_loc: general area
Major_comm: sapphire
Size_code: OCC
Comm_type: GEM
Met_prefix: Unknown
Geo_province: Sydney Basin
Metal_dist: not assigned
Op_status: never worked
Op_method: no workings
Lga: Shoalhaven
Sum_desc: Quaternary alluvium
Compiler: JR Reynolds 23/09/1998
Last_update: 1998-09-23
Occur_size: Occurrence only
Notes: Gold-sapphire-rich alluvial gravels in Shoalhaven River, rare gem quality zircons and topaz.
Commodities
sapphire MAJOR
zircon - gem MINOR
topaz - gem MINOR

Latest posts