what else can i look for with a gold detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am 71 retired, i have been considering gold fossilizing, but after reading this forum i am now not so sure.
i have a friend who purchased a $10,000 minelab and after three years has found very little.
i do not know where to go or what to look for, i am not looking for money, and i am not into sinking shafts.
maybe looking for coins at the beach may be more my style.
comments please

You can find cars , nails , rust flakes ,bridges , beer cans ,hidden piercings and anything made of metal.
Think about what you have access to in your area , parks , beaches , gold feilds ,old farm sites or any historical ruins , think what treasure you may like .. beauty is in the holders eyes , i myself go for gold but i enjoy old buttons and coins almost as much, not much point getting a detector if you arent able to get to a area with the targets of your choice.

In all honesty by the way you sound about $3000 is as much as you should spend and maybe hiring or buying a reputable 2nd hand machine may be your best bet.

Hi beaul, what area are you located? We are the same age, It's a good hobby to get into. I go for coins and (gold in the cooler months) once bitten you'll get the bug.

aussiefarmer said:
In all honesty by the way you sound about $3000 is as much as you should spend and maybe hiring or buying a reputable 2nd hand machine may be your best bet.

Get the best of both worlds for $3000, a new gold detector and a treasure detector.

Thought... if you are not sure what you want go and hire one if you are near a local detector store. See if you like it first, if you do then buy one! :cool:

Go buy an Sdc2300.
It will find any thing metal and keep you occupied for many, Many hours.

Coins on the beach, Rusty nails in your back yard,
Gold in them thar hills,
All you can eat.
I assure you,
You will not go wrong.
So easy to use so not frustrating the crap out of you with a tirade of
settings.

Believe you me, It will find every bit of metal you can think off.
Including those pesky bits in places you would not even think
that metal could be found.

Then, You will have to get something else.
That is where the challenge will start.
Don't worry too much about a bit of chatter, It will guide you on
to a whole new world that you will not recover from.

Latest posts